Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was given out my prospectus and preference form at school today and am a bit stuck as to what subjects I'm going to take next year.

I'm currently doing SG English, Maths, Chemistry, History
    Int2 Biology, Psychology

I defo want to do Higher English, Maths, Chemistry and Biology next year, but am struggling whether to pick Higher History or Physics :confused:

I have never done Physics before, so would like to ask people how hard it is?

My hope for when I leave school is to study study Medicine :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gibbogersfan)
    I was given out my prospectus and preference form at school today and am a bit stuck as to what subjects I'm going to take next year.

Int2 Biology, Psychology

I defo want to do Higher English, Maths, Chemistry and Biology next year, but am struggling whether to pick Higher History or Physics :confused:

I've never done Higher Physics, but I hated the SG. Are you good at Maths? And do you enjoy it? People who enjoy Maths tend to enjoy Physics. I'm doing History this year and honestly wouldn't advise it. It is a LOT of work, essays and reading all the time.
    Plus, I don't know how useful History would be for going into Medicine, probably best to stick with Sciences :yep:
    Sorry I've not been much help :woo:

ReputationRep:
    lol its fyn ^

Aye am pretty good at maths and yep I enjoy it lol
    Well that's why I'm wondering about NOT doing history, not to keen on the essays in exam, English will be bad enough lol

Think I might pay a little visit to our physics teacher and ask for a look at physics textbooks etc :/ ^ Thanks

ReputationRep:
    higher physics isn't difficult. some people might say that 3 sciences + maths and english look better on a medical application but i doubt it really matters whether you pick history or physics. have a look at the higher physics course and see if you prefer history to it or not then base your decision on that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about what history's like at Higher; however...

Physics in general tends to be just applications of maths: while the maths is often easier, the problems occasionally require a little more logical thought about how to apply the given equations to the situation in hand. If you've not done SG Physics, bear in mind you'll probably have a bit of that to catch up on, too. :yes:

I found physics easy, myself, but that doesn't say much. :p:

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy science, then take physics.

ReputationRep:
    Higher physics is pretty straightforward. A little bit of knowledge, and substituting into equations which are either easily derived or in the fairly comprehensive formula book you get in the exam.

If you're not a fan of, or not good at, essay writing then I would absolutely go for physics.

ReputationRep:
    Higher history is brill
    I don't think it'd make that much of a difference to be honest, just choose the one which you enjoy the most because then you're likely to get a better mark. If you like both the same though I'd do history because it shows you're kind of balanced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gibbogersfan)

Int2 Biology, Psychology

Since you ain to study medicine I would advise studying higher Physics. Whether you pick history or Physics your going to have to buckle down and work hard to come out with good grades. So as I suspect both have similar amounts of work I'd pick physics as this will probably help you more later on with medicine Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NatalieStill)
    Since you ain to study medicine I would advise studying higher Physics. Whether you pick history or Physics your going to have to buckle down and work hard to come out with good grades. So as I suspect both have similar amounts of work I'd pick physics as this will probably help you more later on with medicine Hope this helps

Yep, thats what I'm thinkin its just the fact that I have never done Physics that's making my decision hard 'cos some people say it's easy, some say it's hard. But hey, I'm sure if i buckle down and study hard I'll be able to come out with a good pass

ReputationRep:
    I found Higher History really interesting, but ridiculously stressful with the amount of essays we had to write. Just to warn you the jump between Standard Grade and Higher History is huge, probably the biggest jump out of all my subjects. However (with my class at least) most people spent the majority of the year failing/scraping a C and then everything came together at the last minute - most of us came out with A/Bs.

My advice? Pick the subject which you think you'll find most interesting. Although sciences are more relevant to medicine, if you're already planning to study Biology and Chemistry then a third one doesn't matter that much. And remember, whichever subject you don't take can probably be picked up again in sixth year

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone
    I've decided to take History in S5 and might Crash Physics in S6

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.