Turn on thread page Beta

Why does everyone **** on Fall Out Boy? watch

ReputationRep:
    First of all, they sound absolutley terrible.

Secondly, even their fanbase considers them to be sell-outs!

It's just typical whiny teen music.

ReputationRep:
    jonas brothers are a bigger guilty pleasure
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkdtBGHO9QI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Corrosive Blossom)
    I don't mind some of their songs- 'catchy jingles'.

Though, they're crap live (I've seem then)- they layer Stump's voice about 15 times in the album, so his single voice life is poor at best.
    I would agree to an extent. FYI he auditioned as a drummer for FOB. But ended up singing. so he's not grown up with the aim and practice of singing.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=sbarrie2]agreed they are not rock. they are a form of pop. They do have an attitude. Just cause they are not aggressive rockers? They are more subtle than that if you bothered to listen to anything beyond dance dance.[QUOTE]

They're mainstream *****, no attitude whatsoever and will never make a crowd jump.

They're not AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, Queen, The Rolling Stones or any of the greats, because they're *****.

Its not that they attract girls. Its that guys who like them are discouraged to listen to them anywhere else than there room cause apparently its not cool to like FOB. They have to be the nations greatest guilty pleasure. Its guilty just cause i suppose it isnt socially acceptable. Plus pete wentz is hot.
    Anyone who likes them is lost and needs to leave their house and score some coke.

Listening to the Sex Pistols or supporting Stalin/Hitler is not socially acceptable, what does Fall Out Boy have on any of the above?

Looks like a closet homosexual to me.

Oh, missed the pathetic wannabee comment. not wannabees cause bands like you me at six model themselves on FOB. people wanna be like fob. fob dont wanna be like anyone else. as for pathetic - expand on that, seemed kind of flippant.
    You me at six model?

Just the name tells you how good they are.

No one wants to be like Fall Out Boy except for their music and fame, but musically, you're having a laugh right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarrie2)
    I would agree to an extent. FYI he auditioned as a drummer for FOB. But ended up singing. so he's not grown up with the aim and practice of singing.
    It's not that he's a bad singer- i think he's a good singer

ReputationRep:
    who said anything about rock. FOB arent rock

and how exactly are they in it for the money?
    Well their website is falloutboyrock.com, they are wannabe rockers, but I agree they aren't rock, more emo/pop punk.

Plus Pete Wentz said himself they don't just make music for the sake of it - there has to be some motivation; and that is, of course, the money. If they wanted to stay indie like they used to and not be in it for the money then they would do. There's changing musical styles, and then there's changing musically fall out boy style. They just went completely mainstream and started producing music for money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    First of all, they sound absolutley terrible.

Secondly, even their fanbase considers them to be sell-outs!

It's just typical whiny teen music.
    they sound terrible live, on their records....?

sell-outs is a term thats thrown about and used every time a band makes a bit of money. They changed

Its typical cause bands try to be like them. Not FOBs fault. And yeh it does appeal to teens. I am a teen. Music is an important part of any teens life. Music is more important in your teens than any other stage of your life probably. So if teens relate to it then good!

while i'm on the subject. dissing peoples musical taste sucks! If someone feels a connection to a piece of music whether that be the lyrics or what it stands for etc.. and then people just say "nah that ****". Thats kinda naff.

ReputationRep:
    Never been a massive fan, though they have a few catchy songs, but the last few albums have been on the whole dire imo.

Wentz's lyrics just come across fake and rather meaningless to me, like he just takes well known phrases and twists them into lyrics for the sake of it rather than them having any actual meaning to him.

Wentz also comes across arrogant, self absorbed and kind of a ****. His bass playing is questionable as he rarely plays anything worth noting.

Live the singer is awful, he sounds like he's struggling to carry the tune and he's always so out of breath that he sometimes has to miss words/lines of songs to keep in time whilst he catches breath.

I guess the conclusion is that they come across rather manufactured to make money rather than genuinely writing songs based on their feelings and experiences.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's cool to hate them.

I don't like their music either tbh but I don't get what is hateable about them. I prefer to ignore them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben F)
    Well their website is falloutboyrock.com, they are wannabe rockers, but I agree they aren't rock, more emo/pop punk.

Plus Pete Wentz said himself they don't just make music for the sake of it - there has to be some motivation; and that is, of course, the money. If they wanted to stay indie like they used to and not be in it for the money then they would do. There's changing musical styles, and then there's changing musically fall out boy style. They just went completely mainstream and started producing music for money.
    rock, as in "oh they rock". nothing to do with genre.

If they are doing it for the money then why are they taking a break for 2 possibly 3 years? Wentz said they lost their drive to be creative. And wont make anything until that drive is reignited. Surely they could rustle up something very generic cause it doesnt take a lot of effort (according to most people).

They make music for money?

Folie a Deux is a very political album. They make music because they have something to say as well as getting paid.

p.s you know a lot about them *look of suspicion*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr eko)
    Because it's cool to hate them.

I don't like their music either tbh but I don't get what is hateable about them. I prefer to ignore them.
    turns out we are not the same person

ReputationRep:
    They are alright, there are better and worse bands. I've heard they are bad live before but I've never seen them so no comment.

FYI he auditioned as a drummer for FOB. But ended up singing. so he's not grown up with the aim and practice of singing.
    That sounds like an excuse for him not to get criticised on his live singing. But surely if he didn't have any experience or practice in singing he shouldn't have become a singer anyway?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I like them :X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceDiveFresh)
    Never been a massive fan, though they have a few catchy songs, but the last few albums have been on the whole dire imo.

Wentz's lyrics just come across fake and rather meaningless to me, like he just takes well known phrases and twists them into lyrics for the sake of it rather than them having any actual meaning to him.

Wentz also comes across arrogant, self absorbed and kind of a ****. His bass playing is questionable as he rarely plays anything worth noting.

Live the singer is awful, he sounds like he's struggling to carry the tune and he's always so out of breath that he sometimes has to miss words/lines of songs to keep in time whilst he catches breath.

I guess the conclusion is that they come across rather manufactured to make money rather than genuinely writing songs based on their feelings and experiences.
    Dissing the lyrics. Interesting. His lyrics are clever and he gets across what he wants to say and he tells a story very well. People dont get his sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion they are complete crap. i cant stand to listen to them when it comes on the radio i switch it off i dont think anything about there music is good at all also whats with people saying that there are people trying to be like fall out boy i dont know any band that would actually try and be ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiah)
    Well, I like them :X
    you get the customary "yay"

ReputationRep:
    i like them... STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conor.b92)
    In my opinion they are complete crap. i cant stand to listen to them when it comes on the radio i switch it off i dont think anything about there music is good at all also whats with people saying that there are people trying to be like fall out boy i dont know any band that would actually try and be ****
    No reply needed. You are the stereotype!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rrea436)
    i like them... STOP LOOKING AT ME LIKE THAT!
    feel the same!

ReputationRep:
    No reply needed. You are the stereotype!
    i am the stereotype of what exactly ?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.