Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does everyone **** on Fall Out Boy? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sbarrie2)
    ok. you are right. He loves it when you call him gay. Its just giving him more attention. if u didnt then he might not think he could get attention so easily. boy the things that hair straighteners can do.
    Trust me, I've tried them when I was going through my FOB/emo stage. Then realised how much of a **** I seemed trying to give off the same aura of Pete Wentz and realised that I should be known for my music as opposed to being the star player in a generic pop punk band.

ReputationRep:
    Pete Wentz thats why :coma:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I like a few of their older songs then when the newer stuff came out I wasn't much of a fan... but I do like a couple of the newer ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py[])
    sbarrie2 - fair enough you like the band, but why would you start a thread JUST to argue with people who don't like fall out boy? You ask why "people **** on fall out boy" but you are just ignoring other people, telling them they are wrong and insulting them for no real reason other than for the sake of it. I used to listen to fall out boy a lot, and stopped when i got fed up of too many (NOT ALL) similar songs and endless lyrics about how "I am a social outcast and everyone thinks I'm a freak but thats cool because I love that kind of thing." If you ask for opinions, expect opinions from people and at least have the courtesy to accept them rather than insulting the person when you can't think of a legitimate counter-argument.
    /rant
    PS I know not all their songs are about that/are the same, no need to tell me.
    I have accepted many many reason to an extent. patrick 'can't' sing live, mainstream blah blah blah. But some reasons were unjustified from people that clearly have never listened to fob. "because they are ****" is not a reason why, "cause pete wentz is gay" is not a reason why. hence why i refuted a lot of posts mainly conor.b92's posts. some posts were just factually wrong. I also said that I would give my opinion. That was done in the form of responding to every single post made.

When i insulted them, they insulted me and/or did not answer the question. all my counter arguments were legit.

p.s you would of been a lot cooler if you said they only sing about fame!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Trust me, I've tried them when I was going through my FOB/emo stage. Then realised how much of a **** I seemed trying to give off the same aura of Pete Wentz and realised that I should be known for my music as opposed to being the star player in a generic pop punk band.
    Again, generic because of FOB. bands wannabe fob not the other way around. I love pete for his lyrics.

ReputationRep:
    Again, generic because of FOB. bands wannabe fob not the other way around. I love pete for his lyrics.
    No, I'm not saying FOB are generic because they're FOB. I'm saying their generic because they sound like a LOT of other pop punk bands.

ReputationRep:
    sugar we're going downnnnnnnn is well good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Citizen Zero)
    Yep, I saw your analogy, but I honestly can't see myself becoming used to the singer's voice. That's the end of it. My opinion - I don't like the guy's voice. It's so fake, the tone isn't great and he sounds like his balls haven't dropped yet. However defensive you get of the band, you need to accept other opinions too. Good for you if you like them, but if there's a weird smell in my house, I tend to get rid of it.
    I was referring to the houses natural smell that will always be there. not fish on the pan. I have accepted opinions. just not the stupid ones.

ReputationRep:
    FOB's music doesnt grab like The Who, Queen, Muse, Arcade Fire, Rodrigo y Gabriela etc. Its really just personal preference, and by music i mean the bassline, the melody, NOT the lyrics, I know full well the lyrics in some of the stuff I listen to can be strange to say the least. Their music doesnt evoke emotion, or a feeling of power, not like Space Dementia. Hell even Paulo Nutini has a bit about him, and I cant sing along to any of their stuff like I can to Always look on the Bright side of life. And you cant rock out to it.

So in short, FOB's music has no life to it. Not for me, or for a lot of other people.

ReputationRep:
    I was referring to the houses natural smell that will always be there. not fish on the pan. I have accepted opinions. just not the stupid ones.
    Even so with 'natural' smells - I will endeavour to get rid of it. Spray something nice-smelling.

And if I can't get rid of the smell, I wouldn't be happy living there. Just like I wouldn't be happy listening to this band.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh

ReputationRep:
    as for the lack of music. that either means their music is that bad it isnt music or its literal. To label 4 albums as not music is a bit weird.[/QUOTE]

I think fob have 5 album.
    I love FOB's first 3 albums and I am not a 13-year-old-emo.

ReputationRep:
    Even so with 'natural' smells - I will endeavour to get rid of it. Spray something nice-smelling.

And if I can't get rid of the smell, I wouldn't be happy living there. Just like I wouldn't be happy listening to this band.
    I didnt say it was exclusively if you didnt like the smell. I said the smell was noticeable. either dislike or like.

spray is covering up, it is still there.

My point was when i first listend to fob i noticed patricks voice was whiny. However i kept listening and i dont hear it as whiny anymore.
    just like if you keep living in that house, you wont smell it anymore. It me even become a comforting smell. a smell you recognise and can identify with.

ReputationRep:
    First two albums, yes.
    Third album, maybe.
    Last album... no.

They get more and more mainstream and it really annoys me. They hit the big time with Under The Cork Tree and instead of producing similar stuff that evolves, they've produced stuff that will make the most money and cater for the wider audience. However in doing so they've probably lost quite a few of their original fanbase.

Take This To Your Grave will forever remain one of my favourite albums of all time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haaan)
    as for the lack of music. that either means their music is that bad it isnt music or its literal. To label 4 albums as not music is a bit weird.
    I love FOB's first 3 albums and I am not a 13-year-old-emo.[/QUOTE]

I don't really count "evening out with your girlfriend". it wasnt a full release and isnt really recognised. good though.

wow quoting fail!

ReputationRep:
    I didnt say it was exclusively if you didnt like the smell. I said the smell was noticeable. either dislike or like.

spray is covering up, it is still there.

My point was when i first listend to fob i noticed patricks voice was whiny. However i kept listening and i dont hear it as whiny anymore.
    just like if you keep living in that house, you wont smell it anymore. It me even become a comforting smell. a smell you recognise and can identify with.
    What, you expect me to try and ignore the whine? That's just forcing myself to like something, and I cannot do that. That's not true appreciation, it's tolerance. I like to appreciate my music.

(Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    Take This To Your Grave will forever remain one of my favourite albums of all time.
    Totally agree. Its a shame songs like The Pros And Cons Of Breathing and Chicago Is So Two Years Ago have been replaced with awful monotonous pop-punk tracks which really only increase record sales and profit and just alienate the original fan base.
    They used to be so good...

ReputationRep:
    What, you expect me to try and ignore the whine? That's just forcing myself to like something, and I cannot do that. That's not true appreciation, it's tolerance. I like to appreciate my music.
    no its not ignoring it. its not being able to recognise the whine and realising is huge vocal range.

listen to a song on take this to your grave and compare it to the verses in "alpha dog"

ReputationRep:
    I don't happen to like that sort of vocal 'range'/direction...so I cannot grow to like the band. I've tried it with other bands, trying to understand their styles, but it never works.

You can't convert everyone.

And this is where my discussion on this band ends; I do not and will not like this band. Not because I feel I have to match my peers in their criticism, but my personal preferences which I have developed over the years tell me that this band is crap. I understand your dedication to the band, but I cannot agree with it. Goodnight.

ReputationRep:
    I love FOB's first 3 albums and I am not a 13-year-old-emo.
    I don't really count "evening out with your girlfriend". it wasnt a full release and isnt really recognised. good though.

wow quoting fail![/QUOTE]

lol. I realised.

I can see why people would not like fall out boy. They are a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.