Turn on thread page Beta

Too late to apply for Law from Medicine? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I think the title says it all...I've already got two medical rejections and I'm pretty sure the other two will be the same. My problem is that I only decided to apply for medicine last minute, having no experience or even chemistry, because I wanted a challenge I guess...and thought I wanted to be a Doctor...

The annoying this is that I planned on doing law since 1st year and was all set and was even told I would have unconditionals for all scottish Unis, specifically Edinburgh

Is there a way I could apply for law to Edinburgh putting aside the Medicine application?? I don't want to wait a whole year to do it and have way above minimum entry requirments and am from a Leaps school. Any way at all?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Did you use all 5 choices?

If not then you could add law at edinburgh as your 5th choice.

If you did then you COULD turn down any offers you get and apply through extra - but it's best to talk to them first before you commit to anything to see if they'd be willing to consider you....and you'll have to convince them that you aren't going to change your mind again in a few months time.

ReputationRep:
    You applied for med despite not having chemsitry or work experience. That is just stupid. Besides top law schools are very over subscribed and the chances that they wont fill up all their spaces by March is very unlikley.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    You applied for med despite not having chemsitry or work experience. That is just stupid. Besides top law schools are very over subscribed and the chances that they wont fill up all their spaces by March is very unlikley.

Stupid? No it wasn't it was just a risk, and I was told by the Uni that they would consider me so watch what you say theres no need to be arrogant or rude.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bella_Bridges)
    Stupid? No it wasn't it was just a risk, and I was told by the Uni that they would consider me so watch what you say theres no need to be arrogant or rude.
    No it actually was stupid, you don't decide to be a doctor last minute and go in with no work experience... Do you actually have any work experience in law firms? Have you even taken the LNAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xSkyFire)
    No it actually was stupid, you don't decide to be a doctor last minute and go in with no work experience... Do you actually have any work experience in law firms? Have you even taken the LNAT?

You don't need that for the Scottish Law Unis and I took Chemistry this year, which Edinburgh approves of, and also did work experience after applying, making sure they knew i intended to.

Do you people have nothing better to do than to post comments like that on forums calling people's actions stupid? When your 16 you do make stupid choices but learn from your mistakes. With 5 A's I knew I could get unconditionals for anything else so took on something that always appealed to me but I never considered applying for before

ReputationRep:
    I think the title says it all...I've already got two medical rejections and I'm pretty sure the other two will be the same. My problem is that I only decided to apply for medicine last minute, having no experience or even chemistry, because I wanted a challenge I guess...and thought I wanted to be a Doctor...

The annoying this is that I planned on doing law since 1st year and was all set and was even told I would have unconditionals for all scottish Unis, specifically Edinburgh

Is there a way I could apply for law to Edinburgh putting aside the Medicine application?? I don't want to wait a whole year to do it and have way above minimum entry requirments and am from a Leaps school. Any way at all?

i have been told that whilst your ucas is on track then you can change some choices.. but you can only do it within a certain few weeks, and they will probably charge you a fee.

but if there's no luck in that, then why not apply for an irish university? i think people are still applying to the republic of Ireland universities.
    Plus you don't need a personal statement because they accept on your grades. but it is very hard at trinity college dublin to get in, the points are mad. but no harm in trying. and galway does law degrees, but i'm not sure about the reputation

and don't worry there's always next year. you could even get experience in a gap year
    AND it's not through ucas
    good luck x

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry there was nothing arrogant about what I said. Rude maybe but if anything you were the arrogant one thinking you can just waltz in with a last minute application and get offers. It is stupid medicine is very competetive 40% of applicants (these people actually know abit about what they are doing) get 4 rejections. And yes it was stupid. If i jump off an aeroplane from 30,000 feet without a parachute because i think ill take a "risk" doesnt mean its not stupid

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry there was nothing arrogant about what I said. Rude maybe but if anything you were the arrogant one thinking you can just waltz in with a last minute application and get offers. It is stupid medicine is very competetive 40% of applicants (these people actually know abit about what they are doing) get 4 rejections. And yes it was stupid. If i jump off an aeroplane from 30,000 feet without a parachute because i think ill take a "risk" doesnt mean its not stupid
    Okay it was stupid, I regret it. But I can't change the past. I'm trying to fix it but if I could I wouldn't have done what I did. It's my own fault for being overly ambitious. Oh well.

ReputationRep:

Oh just had an update....i guess my "stupid" decision was worth it after all since I've just been asked to attend an interview

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.