Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm just wondering if it is unheard of to get an unconditional offer for medicine after interview, but before you know your A level results? obviously, they'd have good predicted grades but has any medical school liked an applicant so much after interview they get an unconditional offer?

just wondering (and hoping, in vain, as my exams loom and i panic about getting the grades!!) I'm sure i heard of someone who got an unconditional...but not sure if that was my dad getting confused... (in his dotage :p: )
    cheers!

ReputationRep:
    No I have never heard of this ever; they always set you an offer if you dont have grades at A2 level

I have only ever heard of Cambridge giving out offers of EE to applicants they really want and this was for English and Economics NOT medicine unfortunately

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stardustfairy)
    I'm just wondering if it is unheard of to get an unconditional offer for medicine after interview, but before you know your A level results? obviously, they'd have good predicted grades but has any medical school liked an applicant so much after interview they get an unconditional offer?

just wondering (and hoping, in vain, as my exams loom and i panic about getting the grades!!) I'm sure i heard of someone who got an unconditional...but not sure if that was my dad getting confused... (in his dotage :p: )
    cheers!
    let me save your time.

No. there is nobody, who has't done alevel, got an unconditional offer.

period

ReputationRep:
    Get off TSR and go back to studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vutterman)
    let me save your time.

period

Well, I have. But not for medicine if that was the only subject you were refering to

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt for medicine, but you can get unconditional offers like that. My friend got an unconditional offer last year from Cardiff.

ReputationRep:
    Friend got an unconditional for med at liverpool, but already had A level grades lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vutterman)
    let me save your time.

period
    You speak with such authority, it's almost as if you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    You speak with such authority, it's almost as if you know.
    i do.

ReputationRep:
    im pretty sure you can...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jules65)
    No I have never heard of this ever; they always set you an offer if you dont have grades at A2 level

I have only ever heard of Cambridge giving out offers of EE to applicants they really want and this was for English and Economics NOT medicine unfortunately
    and maths...

ReputationRep:
    You can in Scotland.

(If you study Scottish Highers and get AAAAA (including Chemistry and two out of Maths, Biology or Physics))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jules65)

Wrong, I heard of someone getting 3 Es for an offer. Also somewhere else gave one for 3 Cs, can't remember where.
    Edit: actually to be fair, a friend told me about their friend with the three E offer, so not so sure about it. The Cs one however I am.

ReputationRep:
    Most of my Scottish friends had Unconditionals if their Highers were good enough. Meant they could actually fail Advanced Highers and still get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingergooner)
    Wrong, I heard of someone getting 3 Es for an offer. Also somewhere else gave one for 3 Cs, can't remember where.
    Edit: actually to be fair, a friend told me about their friend with the three E offer, so not so sure about it. The Cs one however I am.
    The two EE's offer is definitely given out, but only by Christs for (as far as i know) maths. It can also be matched with a condition of only having to take step; not perform well in it, and is known as a matriculation offer. It has been a popular topic in the cambridge threads but im not sure how many people get them. I think some1 once quoted Christ's website; and that 10% of mathmos are given them? hrm. Never heard of any C's though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkachillislap)
    The two EE's offer is definitely given out, but only by Christs for (as far as i know) maths. It can also be matched with a condition of only having to take step; not perform well in it, and is known as a matriculation offer. It has been a popular topic in the cambridge threads but im not sure how many people get them. I think some1 once quoted Christ's website; and that 10% of mathmos are given them? hrm. Never heard of any C's though.
    The offers I was told about were purely for medicine. At the end of the day though, you can only ask the uni themselves, I heard from a friend of a friend about the three E offer and a doctor I vaguely knew about the three Cs (I think at UCL), but maybe they were both years ago and its changed? I don't know, second hand sources are never good enough.

ReputationRep:
    The offers I was told about were purely for medicine. At the end of the day though, you can only ask the uni themselves, I heard from a friend of a friend about the three E offer and a doctor I vaguely knew about the three Cs (I think at UCL), but maybe they were both years ago and its changed? I don't know, second hand sources are never good enough.
    In previous years, UCL have given out lower offers eg. BBB (or even CCC in some cases) to applicants who perform exceptionally well at the interview I am sure that a couple of people on TSR have received such offers.

However, the 2010 prospectus states "The actual grades (and subjects) we ask for will vary from candidate to candidate. Offers below B grade (or 6 for the International Baccalaureate) are not made." It's great that UCL can be flexible about offers, but I wish they'd reconsider what a 6 in an IB HL subject is worth (it's not equal to a B )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Funkachillislap)
    Back in my day Christ's still used to give out EEE offers for medicine, but I don't know if they still do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failure By Design)
    In previous years, UCL have given out lower offers eg. BBB (or even CCC in some cases) to applicants who perform exceptionally well at the interview I am sure that a couple of people on TSR have received such offers.

However, the 2010 prospectus states "The actual grades (and subjects) we ask for will vary from candidate to candidate. Offers below B grade (or 6 for the International Baccalaureate) are not made." It's great that UCL can be flexible about offers, but I wish they'd reconsider what a 6 in an IB HL subject is worth (it's not equal to a B )
    Ha I did IB as well. It was for social reasons; I picked the school where all my mates were, but at the end of the day it really didn't do me any favours, unis don't really understand its potential

ReputationRep:
    Ha I did IB as well. It was for social reasons; I picked the school where all my mates were, but at the end of the day it really didn't do me any favours, unis don't really understand its potential
    This. But even if they did, I don't think they'd be able to discriminate against people for holding other qualifications. That said, it would be nice if they could cut us some slack if we miss offers by a point or two :p: or if we don't get a specific grade in an HL subject but get a higher IB score overall than what the uni required (this is the scenario I fear ending up in with Chem ).

Congrats on surviving IB - at least you and your friends suffered together!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.