Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Failure By Design)
    This. But even if they did, I don't think they'd be able to discriminate against people for holding other qualifications. That said, it would be nice if they could cut us some slack if we miss offers by a point or two :p: or if we don't get a specific grade in an HL subject but get a higher IB score overall than what the uni required (this is the scenario I fear ending up in with Chem ).

Congrats on surviving IB - at least you and your friends suffered together!
    Ha. Yeah, I don't miss it though. I had a kick arse chemistry teacher thank god, it was my biology that let me down in the end. What is the usual offer for UCL? is it 776 in highers?

By the way what should motivate you is what comes after the IB. I had the most amazing summer ever afterwards, it really isn't an anti climax when you finish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingergooner)
    Ha. Yeah, I don't miss it though. I had a kick arse chemistry teacher thank god, it was my biology that let me down in the end. What is the usual offer for UCL? is it 776 in highers?

By the way what should motivate you is what comes after the IB. I had the most amazing summer ever afterwards, it really isn't an anti climax when you finish.
    For UCL it's 666 in HL - which to be fair is decent (some medical schools require even higher grades at HL) - but I'm scared I'm only gonna get a 5 in Chem which will limit my options for medical school a lot.

I tried not to apply to too many medical schools that require 666 at HL or a 6 in Chem, but I couldn't resist Bristol and UCL just happened...

Hmmm... I'm curious about how you say that Biology let you down... Did you get less than a 6 there? What did you get in your HLs if you don't mind me asking... (I'm curious as to whether Bristol can be flexible with their 666 HL requirement if you exceed their overall points requirement, I doubt they would be... but one could always hope )

Considering I spent a considerable amount of time last summer writing my EE, reading some novels for A1 and revising for some of my subjects (we had a couple of tests in the beginning of the autumn term)... next summer will be amazing! Looking forward to not having IB-related things to think about...!

ReputationRep:
    For UCL it's 666 in HL - which to be fair is decent (some medical schools require even higher grades at HL) - but I'm scared I'm only gonna get a 5 in Chem which will limit my options for medical school a lot.

I tried not to apply to too many medical schools that require 666 at HL or a 6 in Chem, but I couldn't resist Bristol and UCL just happened...

Hmmm... I'm curious about how you say that Biology let you down... Did you get less than a 6 there? What did you get in your HLs if you don't mind me asking... (I'm curious as to whether Bristol can be flexible with their 666 HL requirement if you exceed their overall points requirement, I doubt they would be... but one could always hope )

Considering I spent a considerable amount of time last summer writing my EE, reading some novels for A1 and revising for some of my subjects (we had a couple of tests in the beginning of the autumn term)... next summer will be amazing! Looking forward to not having IB-related things to think about...!
    I was sure they asked for 776, which I thought was ridiculous. I guess they usually look at your overall points score. Erm... nah it didn't let me down, I was exaggerating to be fair. I got 776 in HL, so I can't really complain at all, I'm embarassed that I complained about my bio score now I know 666 gets you into top unis.

My EE in Biology got a D tho it was shoddy lol and I gave it in around late january when our schools deadline was october :p: I'm kind of worried about deadlines and stuff in uni, I'm not the best at dealing with them.

Whenever you feel stressed just think of the end, I absolutely hated year 13, I hit rock bottom in terms of mood at some points but life has been so good since its made it all worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingergooner)
    I was sure they asked for 776, which I thought was ridiculous. I guess they usually look at your overall points score. Erm... nah it didn't let me down, I was exaggerating to be fair. I got 776 in HL, so I can't really complain at all, I'm embarassed that I complained about my bio score now I know 666 gets you into top unis.

My EE in Biology got a D tho it was shoddy lol and I gave it in around late january when our schools deadline was october :p: I'm kind of worried about deadlines and stuff in uni, I'm not the best at dealing with them.

Whenever you feel stressed just think of the end, I absolutely hated year 13, I hit rock bottom in terms of mood at some points but life has been so good since its made it all worth it.
    Perhaps you confused UCL with Cambridge? (they ask for like 776 and 38-42 depending on college - crazy I know...) Also, don't be embarrassed.

About your EE - to be fair grades on science EEs depend a lot on the examiner marking them. It can differ a lot and you can get marked down for some really ridiculous things from what I've heard.
    Actually that's one of the reasons why I chose not to do a science EE (and the fact that I'm too lazy to bother with practical work :p: )

Your experience of the final IB year sounds a lot like mine... :o: Thanks for the advice and it's great to hear that everything's worked out

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you confused UCL with Cambridge? (they ask for like 776 and 38-42 depending on college - crazy I know...) Also, don't be embarrassed.

About your EE - to be fair grades on science EEs depend a lot on the examiner marking them. It can differ a lot and you can get marked down for some really ridiculous things from what I've heard.
    Actually that's one of the reasons why I chose not to do a science EE (and the fact that I'm too lazy to bother with practical work :p: )

Your experience of the final IB year sounds a lot like mine... :o: Thanks for the advice and it's great to hear that everything's worked out
    Meh, I don't know, I just saw the overall points offer and just assumed they wanted 776 like AAB.

Yeah, you made the right decision on not taking a science EE. Apparently they don't give two ***** if you take a science EE, which was really disappointing for me. Also probably the main reason why mine was so bad was because the practical just didn't work! lol in the end it was a lot of rushing to get it done.

Again, good luck, pm me if you hear anything from your unis! :top: Just put the in the effort you know you can and you'll be ok.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.