Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I' currently deciding my GCSE options at school. I have a passion for reading and literature and studying at Cambridge or Oxford would be my dream. I do quite well at school and I was wondering what options would be best if I want to study English later?:confused:
    I am especially undecided which humanity to do or whether or not to do double because humanites are my strongest point and are my favourite. I do French and German, languages are probably my weakest subjects but I work hard at them.

ReputationRep:
    Pick whatever subjects that interest you.

GCSEs aren't really that important when it comes to which ones.

Ask again when A level options come up.

ReputationRep:
    Do the easiest subjects , seriously it is not about what you do but the grades!!! it is a levels that are more important, pick the EASY ONES!

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about GCSE choices too much; just choose subjects that you're going to enjoy.

I did History (OCR) and it was the best choice I made, it was a great course and I came out with a great grade. If you'd like any more info on it, please feel free to PM me.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE isin't that important once you finish them :P try history, its a good course! but do what you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I think I might do Religious Studies and History, but I've got parents evening coming up and I'll see what my teachers think :-)

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go for the ones you think you'll get the best grades in for GCSE. Humanities are decent subjects as far as universities are concerned. If its Oxbridge you're going for then you'll need as many As and A*s as you can get!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. Essay based subjects to get used to essay writing, maybe? Just take what you enjoy the most.

ReputationRep:
    Double science would be a good idea as it would keep your options open at A-Level. I have a friend who's doing histoy, english lit, RE and biology for her A-levels and wants to go to oxford for english.

ReputationRep:
    If humanities are your strengths then definitely go for two. I study geography, history and RE and they are all among my favourite subjects, as I find them all interesting, especially history and RE

If languages aren't your strenght then just do one. And as others have said do something you enjoy that you will do well in.

And obviously english, maths & science are musts (but you will probably be doing them anyway :p:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by macayla)
    Hi
    I' currently deciding my GCSE options at school. I have a passion for reading and literature and studying at Cambridge or Oxford would be my dream. I do quite well at school and I was wondering what options would be best if I want to study English later?:confused:
    I am especially undecided which humanity to do or whether or not to do double because humanites are my strongest point and are my favourite. I do French and German, languages are probably my weakest subjects but I work hard at them.
    Try getting as many A*s as you can. There are lots of threads on TSR saying you don't have to get perfect grades to get in, but it does help to have some. Subjects that are hard to get an A* in in my opinion are eng lit (as it's a bit unpredictable.) An A is easy enough to get though. Art is a hard one too. Soooo much c/w and ridiculously high grade boundaries (86% for A and 98% for an A*). If humanities are your strongest point go ahead and take some. I've heard history is an easy A*. Don't get too stressed out over it though, as you start the course you should find yourself progressing anyway. Make sure to practice exam technique and always do more past papers than what is set by the teacher. Work hard and it will pay off.

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Rainbow-Dream
    I've heard history is an easy A*
    History is not an easy A* at all. It takes a lot of hard work, but it is such a fascinating subject, but in my opinion is one of the hardest GCSEs..

ReputationRep:
    Take what you feel you can work sufficiently in and still get a good mark

ReputationRep:
    Take History, very interesting and a strong subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmartFool)
    Do the easiest subjects , seriously it is not about what you do but the grades!!! it is a levels that are more important, pick the EASY ONES!
    Incorrect.

English Language and Maths essential passes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wata)
    Incorrect.

English Language and Maths essential passes.
    you have to do these anyway they are compulsory subjects! im talking about the other subjects which you get to choose:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Hi there (: GCSEs are honestly not very important at this stage, but if you would like to study english - then you might just like history as they are similar in many ways, for example, it develops your english analysis skills which is very useful in the future. Also, if you want to do english at university, history can look good as an A-level. I would like to take law when I grow up, and I regret not doing history for GCSE and now I have to start at scratch at IB without any historical knowledge.

But really, any option is fine. The easier the better at this level. It's the A-levels that matter. Hope I helped.

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely recommend history for GCSE, I'm absolutely loving the course and I'm even going onto study it at A level, so probably have a more biased view on it. On the other hand it's quite difficult when it comes to revising it all, but if you take an open-minded approah you'd be absolutely fine! It also gives you a wider view when a levels and at university and would probably be more prefered than if you were going to study more languages etc. as it helps improve your writing and arguing skills. I would take one language at the most if I was you as I have to work hard at the one language I take, French, and often doesn't give me enough time to focus on the large amount of other subject I'm taking!

ReputationRep:
    hello,

if humanities are what you like, then take them. however i would really recomend a language. i know that they can be hard but it really does pay to have them, and they are fun!
    i completely disagree with the above post. history (although fun) is a pain, i have to revise nothing else for weeks before the exam to get the grade that i want. it uses up all of my time. i suppose that shows how people are different... histroy is still a great subject, but languages are much better.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.