Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    edited

ReputationRep:
    Is it a proper criminal record or like what I had which was a Reprimand type thing. Also you got busted for doing Graffiti and you got a record Jesus Christ sounds way over the top last person I know who got caught got a fine and they took his cans of paint.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by probablecheck)
    hi, im applying for universities next year and im wondering whether a youth criminal record will affect my chances into being accepted.

the charge wasn't a serious charge, as it was only for graffiti that i did in 2008. its only happened once, despite this i managed 3 A*s and 8 As at GCSE (7.3 average) and have been (currently) predicted all A's for my A level choices, possible A*s next year in A2.

im not too sure what i would like to do at Uni, but im thinking about (and around) medicine, chemistry and economics. neither choice is definite but i'm not 100% sure about anything. the Uni's that im thinking about applying for are Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Queen Marys and the likes depending on what course i decide to partake in.

so i was just wondering what the general thoughts are about this?

thanks for reading, and i appreciate all replies.

u cant apply to both oxford and cambridge

not sure bout the criminal stuff though
    but good grades so u gotta chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Splodger)
    Is it a proper criminal record or like what I had which was a Reprimand type thing. Also you got busted for doing Graffiti and you got a record Jesus Christ sounds way over the top last person I know who got caught got a fine and they took his cans of paint.
    yeah its a 'reprimand' type thing, i got a final warning, which means next time its court. but there isn't gonna be a next time..

(Original post by hussain92)
    u cant apply to both oxford and cambridge

not sure bout the criminal stuff though
    but good grades so u gotta chance
    i understand what you mean by not being able to apply to both universities (i knew that! :P) but i was wondering in regards to the youth offenders record, will that impact by chance?

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to include it in your UCAS form. However, I doubt something like graffiti will count against you that much, as long as everything else is fine and especially since it was a while ago. Uni's are mainly interested in how succesful a student you'll be, so as long as they don't think you'll do it again they don't really care.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a reprimand, they won't bat an eyelid i'm sure.

And when you're 18 it drops off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elieshout)
    You'll have to include it in your UCAS form. However, I doubt something like graffiti will count against you that much, as long as everything else is fine and especially since it was a while ago. Uni's are mainly interested in how succesful a student you'll be, so as long as they don't think you'll do it again they don't really care.
    thanks for the info.

i was thinking in regards to medicine, because for that they do a full CRB check and even being over 18 (where only an adults criminal record will show, and the youth offenders becomes null) they check whether you had a youth offenders. so i was wondering if the youth offenders record will affect me if i choose to do medicine more severly than if i chose to do an alternative degree

ReputationRep:
    Will it show on a CRB check? I think that's the issue, and will you get a CRB check?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i think it shows on the CRB check until you're 18. and then after that only in Full CRB checks which are required for practicing medicine or teaching with children or the such.

ReputationRep:
    In honesty, I don't think anyone can have an idea of what they would say, Oxford/Cambridge specifically. Since they get a lot of good applicants, having one that has been giving warnings for graffiti may not look as appeasing as say, someone who doesn't have anything bad on their record.

That said, it shouldn't put you at a HUGE disadvantage.

ReputationRep:
    Wait if its a reprimand it goes when your 18 and doesn't show on a CRB check.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.