Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey I was just wondering if anyone is firming brunel for law in sept? I've received an offer and still can't decide whether to firm it . Also, any students already studying law at brunel share your experiences, good or bad

ReputationRep:
    I've never even heard of Brunel. Is it highly regarded ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    I've never even heard of Brunel. Is it highly regarded ?
    Well it's decent but not as good as any of the unis you've applied to except for northumbria

ReputationRep:
    My friend goes to Brunel. He chose it over Queen Mary because of the university's emphasis on sports cos he's hoping to get into the 2012 Olympics, but he'll also be able to fall back on the Law degree. I think he likes it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Urkel)
    Guardian ranks it 54th for Law . . . take that as you will.

[no offense]
    (Original post by hendy16)
    Well it's decent but not as good as any of the unis you've applied to except for northumbria
    Hmm with this in mind, I'd say Northumbria was your best bet as they incorporate the LPC/BVC into their degree programme giving you the chance to get a masters qualification! No other university does this! That's why its my lower end insurance (If I do choose it which might be unlikely :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    Hmm with this in mind, I'd say Northumbria was your best bet as they incorporate the LPC/BVC into their degree programme giving you the chance to get a masters qualification! No other university does this! That's why its my lower end insurance (If I do choose it which might be unlikely :P)
    Yes I know that's the only thing persuading me towards northumbria. however i wish to get as far away from the north east as possible . Oh and Westminster also do it with the LPC not sure bout BNTC tho.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you consider Newcastle instead? I am not sure about what you meant by the 'partners scheme' thing though. An offer of BBB for Newcastle doesn't seem right!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lcecil88)
    Why don't you consider Newcastle instead? I am not sure about what you meant by the 'partners scheme' thing though. An offer of BBB for Newcastle doesn't seem right!?
    I don't wanna stay in the north east. Partners scheme is offered to colleges and sixth forms in the areas who are 'partners'. Basically you have to meet a certain criteria such as in receipt of EMA or certain postcode then you complete an assessed 2 week summer school and your offer is reduced by one grade each .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hendy16)
    I don't wanna stay in the north east. Partners scheme is offered to colleges and sixth forms in the areas who are 'partners'. Basically you have to meet a certain criteria such as in receipt of EMA or certain postcode then you complete an assessed 2 week summer school and your offer is reduced by one grade each .
    OMG! So jealous lol

ReputationRep:
    You really don't want to study law at Brunel. I'm there now and it is dreadful. Half the lecturers don't speak English well enough to deliver lectures and there are a couple that keep telling us about the law in their own countries because by their own admission they don't know what it is in this country. There are a couple of good lecturers but some of the best ones have left in the past year and under 'mysterious circumstances' (elledgedly being bullied by the head of school and the greek woman who does all his dirty work). Honestly, some lectures are down to about ten people attending because they are so bad and then people crowd into the tutorials of lecturers who are good so that you've got like thirty people in a 'small group' teaching session. It's ridiculous. And we have to write a dissertation in our final year but there was a scandal about the way that supervisors were allocated last year so that now we don't get to choose at all so you could have a crime dissertation supervised by an international lawyer who doesn't know anything about criminal law. Don't touch it with a bargepole.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think there's been a drop in applicants for law at Brunel considering the rise in UCAS points (390) compared to previos years in comparison to it's ranking (though OK, certainly not worth the 390 requirement like other Unis which may have put people off)?

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished and I am so livid with my overall mark. A dissertation can really make or break you. To those who are doing their disso:

avoid the soft lecturers who are too scared to tell you their opinion.

My opinion:
    The university itself is good. I had a number of job interviews especially from the home office.
    If you get a good placement you'll be laughing as you get paid and its a nice break away from academia.

Lecturers:
    There are lecturers who are very intelligent, but cannot teach. They mearly recite their knowledge rather then break it down. Their are others who are very good. Claire Corbett and Felicity Kaganas are the best as they are leaders in their field.

If you do Trusts or Employment law avoid the old guy with the bow tie Michael Sullivan as he waffles waaaaaay too much.

Work/Life balance:
    The library is your friend, but not your f*** buddy. Work hard but play harder.
    Put in work in your first year. Don't listen to anybody who tells you " its first year it doesn't count". This is your year for trial and error.

Do not buy all your books brand new. I have some books for sale But seriously buy them second hand from amazon. The university have waterstones come in and sell their books. Please do not buy from them, they will rip you off. I cannot tell you how many times I have ignored this piece of advice.

Always study with the smarter people. If your friend even utters the phrase "I'll be happy with a pass" ditch 'em.

Oh always bring a dictaphone to all/most boring lectures. I cannot tell you how often I missed important information due to loud people behind me. (Btw do not sit in the back)
    The most important piece of advice I will ever give:
    If you ever feel like law is not for you get out in your first year. If your too scared to (like I was) you are in for a rough ride.

Best of luck.

Oh the law administration office is *****. That is all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shake 'n Bake)
    Oh the law administration office is *****. That is all.
    You are so right.

Those women are so unhelpful. They seem to really enjoy being unpleasant to students. I've had friends go in really upset and the admin people either tell them to go away cos they're having a break or they just ignore them and keep talking about any old b****x.

Bad news about your grade? What happened? Was it the disso? I've heard so many horror stories about rubbish supervision? I'm well stressed about it cos it counts for so much. Who is good to have and who should I avoid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ower)
    You are so right.

Those women are so unhelpful. They seem to really enjoy being unpleasant to students. I've had friends go in really upset and the admin people either tell them to go away cos they're having a break or they just ignore them and keep talking about any old b****x.

Bad news about your grade? What happened? Was it the disso? I've heard so many horror stories about rubbish supervision? I'm well stressed about it cos it counts for so much. Who is good to have and who should I avoid?
    Yeah it was the disso. I don't wanna say on here I'll PM you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 18, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.