Turn on thread page Beta

Anime Soc Chat XVI: The One Piece War continue's, Aiko goes poof well looky here! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    I'm at episode 231 now

Skypiea was awesome Conis-chan :love:

I think the only thing we should do is modernise it. A perfect replica of the statue of liberty might look identical, but it won't mean as much. The value of structures increases with the age of their original materials. We should maintain the originals and keep them living, not try and "modernise" them like that.
    But the issue is that the column cannot support a restaurant - according to Vin. We should do away with it all again and re-create it. We could even make Nelson smile this time around.

If by modernise you mean re-furbish, then it's already been done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kagutsuchi)
    But the issue is that the column cannot support a restaurant - according to Vin. We should do away with it all again and re-create it. We could even make Nelson smile this time around.

If by modernise you mean re-furbish, then it's already been done.
    build your restaurant somewhere else:wtf:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I have to redo all the work I did today :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    I have to redo all the work I did today :cry2:
    why:console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    build your restaurant somewhere else:wtf:
    On the London Eye. It'd look morbid on Big Ben....

ReputationRep:
    Quite trivial if i'm honest. The appearance would be duplicated and the meaning of the monument - which arguably makes the monument what it is - would still be there (even though one could state the meaning is already forgotten :erm:).
    No it isn't. Replicas do not hold the same historical value or authenticity. It isn't trivial, at all. Nelson's column is a work of art, much as the Mona Lisa is.

Authenticity and old age gives a priceless meaning to pieces of art and original historical items. Would you burn the Mona Lisa just because you thought it needed to be modernised? Yes, the original Mona Lisa needs a bit of repainting, sorry Da Vinci we're going to burn your masterpiece to replace it for a new original :console:

ReputationRep:
    On the London Eye. It'd look morbid on Big Ben....
    how would you get food to people when they're on that without it feeling like some cheap drive through ...or in this case spin through:hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, the original Mona Lisa needs a bit of repainting, sorry Da Vinci we're going to burn your masterpiece to replace it for a new original :console:
    I could do it with a biro :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    I could do it with a biro :yep:
    Monstrous :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't. Replicas do not hold the same historical value or authenticity. It isn't trivial, at all. Nelson's column is a work of art, much as the Mona Lisa is.

Authenticity and old age gives a priceless meaning to pieces of art and original historical items. Would you burn the Mona Lisa just because you thought it needed to be modernised? Yes, the original Mona Lisa needs a bit of repainting, sorry Da Vinci we're going to burn your masterpiece to replace it for a new original :console:
    Alex, the value of something is deemed by us, not the object itself. The object itself is just an object. When I see a big stone pillar, no matter how beautiful or historical it is, I see a big stone pillar which will eventually make way for something else.

Isn't the Mona Lisa in the louvre a replica? Isn't the original one stashed away as a safety precaution against thievery? Yet so many people still pay so much money to see these replicas which nevertheless, are works of art. hmm.

I wouldn't do away with the Mona Lisa if it just needed some re-painting. If I was planning on making a human baby grow out of the Mona Lisa and the material the Mona Lisa is painted on does not suit the required substance to enable human growth then i'd do away with the Mona Lisa and re-create it from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    how would you get food to people when they're on that without it feeling like some cheap drive through ...or in this case spin through:hmmmm:

Jet Pack.

ReputationRep:
    No, the real painting is on display, behind bulletproof glass in a climate controlled area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastLordofTime)
    No, the real painting is on display, behind bulletproof glass in a climate controlled area.
    Are you sure? Could still be fake. The real one's probably in someone's bedroom. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure? Could still be fake. The real one's probably in someone's bedroom. :yes:
    The real one got turned in to a living thing and is stalking around the BBC somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Alex, the value of something is deemed by us, not the object itself. The object itself is just an object. When I see a big stone pillar, no matter how beautiful or historical it is, I see a big stone pillar which will eventually make way for something else.

Isn't the Mona Lisa in the louvre a replica? Isn't the original one stashed away as a safety precaution against theivery? Yet so many people still pay so much money to see these replicas which nevertheless, are works of art. hmm.

I would do away with the Mona Lisa if it just needed some re-painting. If I was planning on making a human baby grow out of the Mona Lisa and the material the Mona Lisa is painted on does not suit the requires substance to enable human growth then i'd do away with the Mona Lisa and re-create it from scratch.
    So what if it's subjective, Vay? It means alot. Humans assign values, words, meanings to everything in the world, good or bad. To say that an original piece of history is just an object is a very concerning view in my opinion.

Originality and authenticity are non-transferrable values, they're simply not transferred to even completely identical replicas unless those replicas themselves age and gain precedence. (and yes we can tell the difference between an original and a complete replica, carbon dating)

So what if it will eventually crumble to dust, better in the far future than in our lifetime, better not to be a society which crushes the past. It will be a black age if Nelson's column is destroyed by a British government.

ReputationRep:
    So what if it's subjective, Vay? It means alot. Humans assign values, words, meanings to everything in the world, good or bad. To say that an original piece of history is just an object is a very concerning view in my opinion.
    I smiled at this - for obvious reasons.

Originality and authenticity are non-transferrable values, they're simply not transferred to even completely identical replicas unless those replicas themselves age and gain precedence. (and yes we can tell the difference between an original and a complete replica, carbon dating)
    Have you not gathered that I don't care about authenticity? If I did I wouldn't advocate getting a replica done in place of the original. I don't see the point you're making here. If I can't build my lovely pinewood restaurant on Nelson's column then it'll just have to come down.

I didn't say we couldn't, just not by appearance.

ReputationRep:
    *reads past few posts*

:rolleyes:

*goes to watch Saiyuki*

ReputationRep:
    I smiled at this - for obvious reasons.

Have you not gathered that I don't care about authenticity? If I did I wouldn't advocate getting a replica done in place of the original. I don't see the point you're making here. If I can't build my lovely pinewood restaurant on Nelson's column then it'll just have to come down.

I didn't say we couldn't, just not by appearance.
    You would smile, wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

I value authenticity, you don't. That's too bad, and essentially where our difference lies. Examine what you are saying.

You won't lay a finger on Nelson's column :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    I think i'm done looking at pretty buildings for the night.

My mind drifts off toe Bioshock... that game is amazing. I never thought seeing a bunch of little girls stab a thing to death would make me so happy.

ReputationRep:
    I think i'm done looking at pretty buildings for the night.

My mind drifts off toe Bioshock... that game is amazing. I never thought seeing a bunch of little girls stab a thing to death would make me so happy.
    Pretty buildings you wish to destroy :indiff:

~

You didn't think it would?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.