Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anime Soc Chat XVI: The One Piece War continue's, Aiko goes poof well looky here! Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Keoje)
    No, No and No. So that'll be teach me about all 3.

I'm going through the AQA specification. I see Young's Modulus. Hooke's Law. Well the stuff in the material section is interesting. It seems all this stuff I've been reading about is taught in physics A-level to some degree. wish I took physics now.

[edit] Going to get 2 warning poooooiiints soon.
    Materials never interested me...which is why I couldn't have done engineering :p: I can start with that if you like?

Going to go get my notes for that though, it was one of my weaker areas & don't want to teach it wrong :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    Materials never interested me...which is why I couldn't have done engineering I can start with that if you like?

Going to go get my notes for that though, it was one of my weaker areas & don't want to teach it wrong
    If you want to.

ReputationRep:
    I think this room is still free so I can stay in here :beard:

ReputationRep:
    What's that err..comic strip thing called with bout 3 panels. i need some funny for my signature :cry2:

[edit] I FOUND ONE!!! WHAT DO YOU THINK?

ReputationRep:
    oh I saw your pink tank post:giggle:

feeding trolls :no:

ReputationRep:
    Cyanide & Happiness?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caraniel)
    Cyanide & Happiness?
    YES! :woo: I quite like my new signature.

@Vin I got 2 negs from the trolls lol they had no rep power tho :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Keoje)
    If you want to.
    Only doing this because you asked :s:

But it is good revision :yep:

Young's Modulus:

The difference between Stress & Strain:

Stress:

Definition: Force per unit cross-sectional area

Units: Nm^{-2} a.k.a. the 'Pascal'

The Pascal is also used to quantify Pressure, but that's for gases & liquids, whereas stress is for solids being deformed

Strain:

Definition: Extension per unit length

Units: N/A (Length/length = unitless, sometimes strain is given as a percentage)

Example: A material is extended by 2cm for every meter of it's length

= 0.02 \div 1 so there's an extension of 0.02 or 2%

Young's Modulus

Stress on a material causes strain

Young's Modulus = Stress \div Strain = \frac {Force \div Area} {Extension \div length}

So you get: (Force x Length)/(Area x Extension) also in Pascals, because it's just Pascals divided by a number...so just a different number of Pascals

The amount of strain depends on how stiff a material is, if it is stiff (i.e. cast iron) it won't alter its shape much when stress is applied. But a small amount of stress will alter a soft material greatly (i.e. soft clay).

ReputationRep:
    Cara's gone Kanon :gasp:

ps. what happened to all the smileys?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keoje)
    YES! :woo: I quite like my new signature.

@Vin I got 2 negs from the trolls lol they had no rep power tho :p:
    maybe they are the kind who want neg back :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I bought Supreme Commander 2 yesterday :coma: moar bright colours and explosions than the original!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    maybe they are the kind who want neg back
    Well too bad for them. I only pos rep people.

I wonder what time I will have lunch...:emo: Gotta pick up car in 30 minutes or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keoje)
    Well too bad for them. I only pos rep people.

I wonder what time I will have lunch...:emo: Gotta pick up car in 30 minutes or so.
    I had lunch:proud:

it wasnt enough :dry:

ReputationRep:
    Afternoon :hi:

I feel oh so pretty, and oh so witty :girl:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    Afternoon :hi:

I feel oh so pretty, and oh so witty :girl:
    What a nice ditty :yep:

Hi :wavey:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    [snip]
    Thanks Skipp-sensei Latex makes things easier to understand - but too complicated for myself to use. :emo:

(Original post by vin)
    I had lunch

it wasnt enough
    Get a subway. :ahee:

Hi LZ, Jehu

I've also noticed some missing smileys. :cry: I couldn't find the one with a row of things celebrating/jumping
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Keoje)
    Thanks Skipp-sensei Latex makes things easier to understand - but too complicated for myself to use. :emo:

Get a subway. :ahee:

Hi LZ, Jehu

I've also noticed some missing smileys. :cry: I couldn't find the one with a row of things celebrating/jumping
    I had to have the instructions up :emo:

I'll put the stuff about materials up later, maybe pm it to you, I need to get food

In other news:

There's a Fleming's Right Hand Rule aswell :indiff: I officially hate Fleming...he's a pre-GCSE school girl in disguise...

:party: <--this one? Haven't looked recently but smiley's seem to rotate, plus they've got some new ones at the moment, maybe it's all messed up whilst they're adding them?

ReputationRep:
    :erm: I'm left handed so I'll pass. I kinda want to play lemmings.. :mmm:

Yes that smiley. I couldn't find it last night. :cry2: I even scrolled through the smiley list slower and looked like 5 times. :ninja:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Keoje)
    :erm: I'm left handed so I'll pass. I kinda want to play lemmings.. :mmm:

Yes that smiley. I couldn't find it last night. :cry2: I even scrolled through the smiley list slower and looked like 5 times. :ninja:
    I don't like the L.H. rule either :grumble:

And ye they disappear all the time, then reappear, just need to remember the codes for your favorites and you're sorted

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone likes my lemonade signature....

What do you guys think of this then?
    [IMG]http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Dave/*******************1.png[/IMG]

It had a naughty word in it. :rofl:

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.