Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Someone please give me a theory on how this is possible? Watch

ReputationRep:
    This guy today showed me a magic trick with cards. I pick any card, and I have to remember the number, 8, I dont show him the card.

He then rubs his left hand on his right arm. And the number eight becomes engraved in his skin, in a reddish colour :woo::eek3:

Now tell me how is this possible. Am I missing something obvious?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes you are.

ReputationRep:
    Just a theory:

it's magic! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wijajo)
    Yes, yes you are.
    Then what is it???

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps he showed the trick to 13 people and you were just the lucky one.

ReputationRep:
    did you see all the cards before hand/shuffle them? crazy thought but if you didnt, maybe he had a whole deck of 8's, or just put an 8 on the top

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artymess)
    did you see all the cards before hand/shuffle them? crazy thought but if you didnt, maybe he had a whole deck of 8's, or just put an 8 on the top
    no i shufflled them, they were a normal pack of cards

ReputationRep:
    it's gotta be lazers

or magnets

ReputationRep:
    It's done with the help of small venomous gnomes. A couple (in case one dies - it's a dangerous job) are standing on your shoulder when you look at the card. They see the card, and jump onto his arm, where a large number of other gnomes are already assembled. The "magician" (gnome master) pretends to rub his arm, taking special care not to crush his flock. This is just to distract you from what is really happening. The 2 gnomes tell the others what the number was, then they assemble in the shape of the number, and bite. This causes the red mark to appear. The gnomes are very small and not very venomous, so the mark soon disappears, and the trick can be repeated.

ReputationRep:
    One of the cards (the 8 you chose) was different to the others (maybe it was slightly thicker so your fingers would grip that one first) or maybe the deck was unfair? As for the mark appearing, he had something on his arm/hand.

ReputationRep:
    Did he show you any other card that was in that deck at the time.

Theory: The entire deck could may well be fake and is one card, if so he can obviously know what card you picked

ReputationRep:
    He most likely made you take the eight. He probably tricked you, maybe your just easy to trick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FranticMind)
    He most likely made you take the eight. He probably tricked you, maybe your just easy to trick?
    perhaps, but how did he he manage to engrave the number eight on his skin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGreedy)
    perhaps, but how did he he manage to engrave the number eight on his skin?
    It was already there.

ReputationRep:
    its a skin condition isnt it where you can write things in your skin

ReputationRep:
    the engraved 8 would have already been on his skin, one technique is to use soap and then brush it with burning paper (the david blaine method) ash sticks to the soap and makes the number appear.

As for the 8, the magician would have forced/pushed this card otno you, there would have been no way you could have picked anything but the 8, that's the trick/sleight of hand

ReputationRep:
    i got it
    he had a tattoo of all the cards on his arm
    then he marks all the cards and you happened to pick up the 8 so he showed you his 8 tatto :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGreedy)
    This guy today showed me a magic trick with cards. I pick any card, and I have to remember the number, 8, I dont show him the card.

He then rubs his left hand on his right arm. And the number eight becomes engraved in his skin, in a reddish colour :woo::eek3:

Now tell me how is this possible. Am I missing something obvious?
    Probably swapped the deck without you realising and had something covering the 8 which me wiped off.

ReputationRep:
    Scratch your arm with your fingernail. Now let it settle down, don't mind the stinging it will make you more of a man. Now it's settled, the mark is gone right? Ok now grip/rub your arm, warming it up. The magic red mark is back! Classic magic trick, decades old, recently became popular again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.