Turn on thread page Beta

Exercise won't make you lose weight watch

ReputationRep:
    thank you guys for all your advice
    just to point out i don't disagree or agree with the article. It's just that i was unsure and confused which is why i posted here so i can see people's opinions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crème_de_la_crème)
    thank you guys for all your advice
    just to point out i don't disagree or agree with the article. It's just that i was unsure and confused which is why i posted here so i can see people's opinions
    exercise is critical, be weary of studies like these, many of them are funded by beverage companies whose products are sold on the premise of not requiring balanced diet and exercise to lose weight and improve fitness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crème_de_la_crème)
    hey everyone

i have been struggling with my weight over the past couple of years as im slightly overweight. However i was searching some diet and weight loss information in google and i came up across this article which is a bit old but i found it very interesting.

im not using it as an excuse for not exercising in order to lose weight but it sort of made me think. is exercise really overrated as a mean of losing weight ? or the whole article is a bunch a crap?

the article is huge (4 long pages with a lot of studies and research info ) but i took some parts out that i think sort of sum it up:

"In general, for weight loss, exercise is pretty useless," says Eric Ravussin, chair in diabetes and metabolism at Louisiana State University and a prominent exercise researcher. Many recent studies have found that exercise isn't as important in helping people lose weight as you hear so regularly in gym advertisements or on shows like The Biggest Loser — or, for that matter, from magazines like this one.
    The basic problem is that while it's true that exercise burns calories and that you must burn calories to lose weight, exercise has another effect: it can stimulate hunger. That causes us to eat more, which in turn can negate the weight-loss benefits we just accrued. Exercise, in other words, isn't necessarily helping us lose weight. It may even be making it harder.

You might think half a muffin over an entire day wouldn't matter much, particularly if you exercise regularly. After all, doesn't exercise turn fat to muscle, and doesn't muscle process excess calories more efficiently than fat does?
    Yes, although the muscle-fat relationship is often misunderstood. According to calculations published in the journal Obesity Research by a Columbia University team in 2001, a pound of muscle burns approximately six calories a day in a resting body, compared with the two calories that a pound of fat burns. Which means that after you work out hard enough to convert, say, 10 lb. of fat to muscle — a major achievement — you would be able to eat only an extra 40 calories per day, about the amount in a teaspoon of butter, before beginning to gain weight. Good luck with that.

(if you can be bothered reading:p: )

The Compensation Problem
    Earlier this year, the peer-reviewed journal PLoS ONE — PLoS is the nonprofit Public Library of Science — published a remarkable study supervised by a colleague of Ravussin's, Dr. Timothy Church, who holds the rather grand title of chair in health wisdom at LSU. Church's team randomly assigned into four groups 464 overweight women who didn't regularly exercise. Women in three of the groups were asked to work out with a personal trainer for 72 min., 136 min., and 194 min. per week, respectively, for six months. Women in the fourth cluster, the control group, were told to maintain their usual physical-activity routines. All the women were asked not to change their dietary habits and to fill out monthly medical-symptom questionnaires.
    The findings were surprising. On average, the women in all the groups, even the control group, lost weight, but the women who exercised — sweating it out with a trainer several days a week for six months — did not lose significantly more weight than the control subjects did. (The control-group women may have lost weight because they were filling out those regular health forms, which may have prompted them to consume fewer doughnuts.) Some of the women in each of the four groups actually gained weight, some more than 10 lb. each.
    What's going on here? Church calls it compensation, but you and I might know it as the lip-licking anticipation of perfectly salted, golden-brown French fries after a hard trip to the gym. Whether because exercise made them hungry or because they wanted to reward themselves (or both), most of the women who exercised ate more than they did before they started the experiment. Or they compensated in another way, by moving around a lot less than usual after they got home.

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...4857-1,00.html

also if anybody managed to lose weight here without exercising maybe you could share your experience

I'm going to have to admit that I cba to read that whole post however I presume the reason for the article will be that exercise alone is not an efficient way of losing weight.

Exercise is all well and good, the more you do the more calories you will burn however a much more efficient way is to cut your calorie intake.

ReputationRep:
    most people actually enjoy exercise, the weight loss is just an added bonus that seems to occur

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    exercise is critical, be weary of studies like these, many of them are funded by beverage companies whose products are sold on the premise of not requiring balanced diet and exercise to lose weight and improve fitness.

thanks
    i guess i got a bit deluded by all the reasearch from the famous american universities:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Sparkle*)
    Exercise is great, but it is rubbish for loosing weight on its own, in order to loose 1lb of fat you have to burn about 3500 calories. That's a lot of exercise just to lose weight.

You need a controlled diet and exercise. I've lost 16lbs in the last 2 months through eating and not a bit of extra exercise. Although I don't feel too great about myself because I have been lacking in the exercise front I don't feel so great.
    I've always been told you have to have a mix otherwise you wont keep the weight off..
    *Sparkle*...16 pounds is amazing, well done , i'm trying to loose 8lb in 3 months starting from today, how did you do it? did you cut out everything bad?

ReputationRep:
    You're quite correct :yes:

Exercise will make you lose mass, not weight.

At least you've got one thing right in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    No.

And please proceed to GTFO with nonsense like that.
    No. I'm right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squeegy)
    No. I'm right.
    No, you're not, carbohydrate depletion is a highly inefficient way of losing weight and in some cases may even be dangerous, the loss of energy will work against both your cardiovascular and resistive performance. The lack of carbohydrates will also slow ones metabolism considerably, as a competitor myself I have always been aware that one must never spend more than a week or two (before the actual contest) cutting carbs completely, even more so for moderate dieters. One should instead implement the far more efficient, carb moderation method of fluctuating carb intake depending on days one undertakes the most physical exertion. This ensures one can replenish lost glyocogen as well as ensuring the body does not experience a fall in metabolic performance. Why have you even suggested you're right you jackass, you've clearly done **** all research. God, this forum is full of ******* tools.

ReputationRep:
    I don't do exercise to lose weight. I do it to tone up and stay in good shape, and of course to keep my heart happy.

ReputationRep:
    thread starter is an idiot for writing the thread title

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Oh jeez... Some nonsense in this thread, although I suppose the OP started as it was meant to go on!

ReputationRep:
    The article doesn't say that exercise doesn't result in weight loss but that the side effects of weight loss (ie hunger) can result in putting the weight back on. Also "10 lb. of fat to muscle" made me lol.

ReputationRep:
    of course exersize helps you lose weight !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IceDiveFresh)
    I'm going to have to admit that I cba to read that whole post however I presume the reason for the article will be that exercise alone is not an efficient way of losing weight.

Exercise is all well and good, the more you do the more calories you will burn however a much more efficient way is to cut your calorie intake.
    Well I stopped reading when it said exercise doesn't make you lose weight because it makes you hungry... :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Well I stopped reading when it said exercise doesn't make you lose weight because it makes you hungry... :shifty:
    lmao probably also a valid reason to discredit the article yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burayo)
    I've always been told you have to have a mix otherwise you wont keep the weight off..
    *Sparkle*...16 pounds is amazing, well done , i'm trying to loose 8lb in 3 months starting from today, how did you do it? did you cut out everything bad?
    I just ate three meals a day with plenty of fruit & veggies, so would have porridge in the morning with banana, then either omelettes, jacket potato or pasta with veggies and then proper meals like chilli con carne and spag bol for dinner, everything I cooked I did without oil, I used fry light instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    You're quite correct :yes:

Exercise will make you lose mass, not weight.

At least you've got one thing right in this thread.
    i hate to be "that guy" but weight is the force exerted by a mass as a result of gravity, so if you lose mass you also lose weight

on a slightly related note if you're after just losing weight and not mass you may want to look into travelling to the moon

ReputationRep:
    I dont think I've heard anyone advocate a exercise regime without a balanced diet consisting of frequently spaced moderate meals to prevent gorging, this article fails to take that into consideration, thus is pointless. You cant measure a hypothesis when you havent taken all aspects of it into an account, it would be the equivalent of conducting an investigation and then manipulating the dependent variable, of course abstracted results will be yielded. All this study shows is that the eating habits of those in question were inefficient, it also verifies that 50% of any regime is about the diet. This is something that those with experience have been advocating since the beginning. A good regime must be complemented with a good diet in order to produce positive results. Yes, the respondents may have craved unhealthy sugars after training however this demand for glycogen replenishment could have been met with a higher protein + complex carb post workout meal, the frequency of their meals would have also heavily influenced their "hunger".
    Note that the control group also lost weight (which, as they mentioned could have been due to keeping a diary of food consumption) without actively dieting.

Let's start with the fact that losing weight can be extremely difficult, and a lot of the time simply doesn't work. If you consider the problems with self-control in sticking to a diet alone, the fact that exercising makes you more tired and makes you crave food to a greater extent only compounds the problem.

I don't think that the article shows the optimum method of losing weight. Ideally, you'd change to a healthy diet, and exercise on top of that, but we're talking about what is practicable for most people - bearing in mind the statistics for obesity and being overweight, we can safely say that people on the whole find it difficult to maintain their weight. Taking on a lot of exercise (the article advocates less strenuous day to day activity), and on top of that overhauling your diet is not a system that's going to be successful for most people.

EDIT: PS, I think the title of the article, especially, is exaggerating the point significantly. But it sells and all that.

ReputationRep:
    No, you're not, carbohydrate depletion is a highly inefficient way of losing weight and in some cases may even be dangerous, the loss of energy will work against both your cardiovascular and resistive performance. The lack of carbohydrates will also slow ones metabolism considerably, as a competitor myself I have always been aware that one must never spend more than a week or two (before the actual contest) cutting carbs completely, even more so for moderate dieters. One should instead implement the far more efficient, carb moderation method of fluctuating carb intake depending on days one undertakes the most physical exertion. This ensures one can replenish lost glyocogen as well as ensuring the body does not experience a fall in metabolic performance. Why have you even suggested you're right you jackass, you've clearly done **** all research. God, this forum is full of ******* tools.
    I'd like to see properly done research where it has been found inefficient. Or any research at all, in fact. And yes, it does slow down your metabolism, which is why you're supposed to take them carbs once or twice a week (and post workout, when the carbs go directly to your muscles).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.