Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, what differences are there in the Infrared Spec between a Ketone and an Aldeyhde with a Molecular formula of C5H10O? And also, what differences are there in the Mass Spectormetry??

I suppose the most obvious difference in the mass spec would be that a peak would be present at 29 in the aldehyde spectra from the CHO fragment. Some IR to follow.

EDIT: There seems to be a very distinctive aldehyde C-H stretch up near 3000 cm-1 that's obviously not present in the ketone.

ReputationRep:
    The guys above are right. The stretches due to the C=O would be very similar for both compounds at around 1700 - 1750 cm-1. They way you can clearly tell them apart is from the presence or absence of a peak at around 2700 - 2800 cm-1, due to the aldehyde C-H stretch in the CHO group. Assuming you know it's an aldehyde or a ketone, if you see this peak it's an aldehyde. If not, it's a ketone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kyri)
    The guys above are right. The stretches due to the C=O would be very similar for both compounds at around 1700 - 1750 cm-1. They way you can clearly tell them apart is from the presence or absence of a peak at around 2700 - 2800 cm-1, due to the aldehyde C-H stretch in the CHO group. Assuming you know it's an aldehyde or a ketone, if you see this peak it's an aldehyde. If not, it's a ketone.
    Ah you genius.. Yea, I only really noticed that today when I was looking more closely.. So to distinctively tell if its an Aldehyde or a Ketone from an IR Spec, is basically if there is this aldehyde C-H stretch in the CHO group.. Which appears around 2850-3100 according to my Datasheet. And yea, in the Mass Spec, you can tell if its an Aldehyde or Ketone due to the CHO+ fragment at 29..

Thankyou both of you guys! Much appretiated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haz Shah)
    Ah you genius.. Yea, I only really noticed that today when I was looking more closely.. So to distinctively tell if its an Aldehyde or a Ketone from an IR Spec, is basically if there is this aldehyde C-H stretch in the CHO group.. Which appears around 2850-3100 according to my Datasheet. And yea, in the Mass Spec, you can tell if its an Aldehyde or Ketone due to the CHO+ fragment at 29..

Thankyou both of you guys! Much appretiated!
    That is correct. However the 2850 - 3100 cm-1 range which your book quotes sounds rather broad to me. If you see peaks appearing above 2900 cm-1 I wouldn't take take that as evidence of an aldehyde since aliphatic C-H stretchs are in the 2900 - 3000 cm-1 region and aromatic C-H stretches appear around 3000 - 3100 cm-1. If you don't see an aldehyde peak at around 2700 - 2850 cm-1 then you should look at other data for confirmation, such as mass spec as mentioned, or the presence of a singlet which integrate to one proton at around 9 - 9.5 ppm in the 1H-NMR.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 22, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.