Turn on thread page Beta

How does one get an A* in chemistry? watch

ReputationRep:
    My teacher was like yesterday, "oh this guy in one of my AS classes was like 'Miss Miss i think i'm gonna do really well in the Unit 1 mock'" and my teacher was like "really? how do you know" and he was like "i did 7 hours of revision" and my teacher was like, "I DON'T THINK SO, 70 hours is more like it!"

Ah no wonder i had to resit AS this January...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazamak)
    What criteria has to be met to achieve this in:confused: A Level?
    the conditions are:

1)80% overall from a-level
    2)with 90% being achieved at A2.

so if you got 70% in AS, and 90% in A2 thats 80% overall and you have an A*.

but if you get 80% in AS and 80% in A2, although thats also 80% overall it will be graded as an A

even if you get 100% in AS and 80% in A2, that gives 90%!!! overall, you WONT get an A* since you didnt met the conditions.

ReputationRep:
    <sarcasm> one must get one's rear-end into gear. One must then live and breathe chemistry for 2 years until one can only talk chemistry and only think chemistry</sarcasm>

seriously, unless you have a natural flare for it, no chance

ReputationRep:
    woah! I have to revise my ass off and I SCRAPE an A in my mocks. I do think that to get an A* in Chemistry is verrryy difficult. Remember, A2 get a lot harder, and they're the ones you need in 90% in!

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is probably the hardest A* to get..
    Especially OCR chem, where the 10% that is the A* is all 'stretch and challenge' ie not in the syllabus!
    Its really annoying because I've been revising for months and nothing sticks!

ReputationRep:
    just enjoy the subject. If you enjoy the subject you will do well.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately humans are not capable of getting an A* in chemistry. If you get one, you are a machine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    FUUUUUU

I'm finding AS Tricky now, and i'm taking OCR salters
    OCR = easy **** ccea is hardest!

ReputationRep:
    What are your predictions for A2 Chemistry? In my opinion, the students that may get the A* in Chemistry are the ones who have a natural flare for the subject and who contribute well into lessons. I dunno, I may be wrong

ReputationRep:
    things have to go pop, and then bubble over.. then you have to go EUREKA!

think that pretty much sums it up

ReputationRep:
    Basically you just need to revise like hell and learn why things happen on the syllabus and not just memorise the fact that they do.

I've seen people memorise mechanisms only to find them written out in the exam and they have to explain why each part happens and that's where a lot of people fall down.

It's about understanding chemistry not just regurgitating facts from the textbook.
    That=difference between A and A*.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.