Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When writing out the ratios from the amounts of hydrogens in each environment, do the number have to be in a certain order, like from one end of the molecule to another, or in an order relative to where they appear on the spectrum?

ReputationRep:
    This is also a chapter I'm struggling on and cba to read. I'll do it soon though.

They don't have to be an order as such, but they must correlate to the shift values.

ReputationRep:
    There's no set rule for this. I could look at the structure of ethyl acetate first, CH3COOCH2CH3, and say I'm looking for integrations of 3 : 2 : 3 on the spectrum. But if you look at the spectrum first you could say the peaks on the spectrum have relative integrations of 2 : 3 : 3 and then try and match those to the protons in the molecule. In the end I guess it doesn't really matter as long as what you've done is clear but I can't speak for your exam board.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.