Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harriepoppy)
    :ditto: So far one offer from my last choice, Queen Mary, and two rejections from Oxford and Cardiff, though I applied for the wrong course from the latter by mistake but I didn't want to go there anyway. Come on Edinburgh!
    good luck for edinburgh! ive heard all their offers are BBB, and its such a great university and city!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, soton have ignored me thus so far ^^

You never know, Warwick might let you in. If it was a definite reject you would have heard by now
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by emilaah)
    good luck for edinburgh! ive heard all their offers are BBB, and its such a great university and city!
    Thanks! I really hope I get in because otherwise it's looking like gap year number two for me. The thing is, there's not a lot we can do until we get all our offers through and even then Extra's not looking too good. Sooo, unless we fancy worrying for eight months, the best we can do is sit tight and wait.

The thing that's annoying me at the moment is that last year I applied for Law (I am now applying for English), and I got four offers including an AAB offer from Bristol. Their standard offer is AAA and I think only about two of us got lower offers, BUT in my lunacy I turned it down in favour of a gap year and a shot at Oxford. Hmm, I only have myself to blame...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harriepoppy)
    Thanks! I really hope I get in because otherwise it's looking like gap year number two for me. The thing is, there's not a lot we can do until we get all our offers through and even then Extra's not looking too good. Sooo, unless we fancy worrying for eight months, the best we can do is sit tight and wait.

The thing that's annoying me at the moment is that last year I applied for Law (I am now applying for English), and I got four offers including an AAB offer from Bristol. Their standard offer is AAA and I think only about two of us got lower offers, BUT in my lunacy I turned it down in favour of a gap year and a shot at Oxford. Hmm, I only have myself to blame...
    that's not lunacy! to be fair, if you honestly thought you were going to be 100% happy doing law at bristol you would have gone. so really you should see it as a blessing that youll now be doing something you truly enjoy and anyway, you can still convert to law after your degree if you feel thats the career you want

also, what have you done on your gap year? i need something worthwhile to consider doing if i take one myself!

and as for the oxford thing, im guessing your school/college thought you stood a chance, if they didnt they would have told you. im starting to think oxbridge relies a lot on chance. (also who you know, to some extent. i know that sounds bitter but ive seen on TSR people talking about having dinners with admissions tutors to boost their kid's chances. what is up with that?!)

the main reason i applied to oxford was because i knew id regret not knowing. so im quite happy i did really

so worried about extra though. as if there are gonna be ANY places for my stupid course :P the thing thats doing my head in is not knowing where ill be/what ill be doing in 8 months time. and knowing i might NOT know until august! eeeeek :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Keep positive. A person with your grades should get into Soton no sweat. I did and I didn't have anywhere near such good predictions. Assuming your PS is fine, you've got no problems.
    Warwick should be within your reach too. Don't fear the worst. Its probably not as bad as you think.

ReputationRep:
    I got 3 rejections too (camb,ucl and leeds) for english, but I do have offers from York and Southamp so I'm not in a panic, I know how **** it feels when everyone is banging on about all their offers, but there are more people applying this year and the places have been cut down (i was reading an article about how people who would've got into oxbridge etc previous years won't anymore.) You should get your 2!
    I've requested feedback from camb and will in march from leeds, 'cos it's bloody depressing thinking you're not worthy of uni!

ReputationRep:
    Okay im totally panicking
    i have totally screwed up
    im predicted AAA* next year (A* in history) and ive applied for history at uni
    been rejected from three so far (ox, dur and edin)
    waiting for warwick (to reject me)
    and ive got an interview for soton, so i dont even know if i will get in?

is there ANYONE who has literally NO offers??
    or one offer but its the one you least wanted?
    does anyone have any advice regarding extra and clearing?
    heeeeelllp!:eek:
    Warwick take ages, I applied a week after you and still waiting. When do you hear back from Durham btw?

In answer to your question, untill a week ago I had just Royal Holloway, and I didn't particularly want to go there, so I know how it feels with regards to that. Extra wont have the entire span you want, nor will clearing but if your insistent on going next year it's your only choice.

You could always take a gap year, with your A levels done your much more likely to get a place at the top Uni's, plus extra experience, and even the time off, you may enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalexi)
    i was reading an article about how people who would've got into oxbridge etc previous years won't anymore
    Where was this article? If it was on the Internet, do you still have a link?

I just want to believe I was rejected through lack of space rather than being rubbish. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaM)
    Where was this article? If it was on the Internet, do you still have a link?

I just want to believe I was rejected through lack of space rather than being rubbish. :p:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...nder-cuts.html

This made me feel slightly better!

Hopefully I'll get some decent feedback, you should request it too.

ReputationRep:
    SCREW YOU UCL. :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Max Hinks)
    Warwick take ages, I applied a week after you and still waiting. When do you hear back from Durham btw?

In answer to your question, untill a week ago I had just Royal Holloway, and I didn't particularly want to go there, so I know how it feels with regards to that. Extra wont have the entire span you want, nor will clearing but if your insistent on going next year it's your only choice.

You could always take a gap year, with your A levels done your much more likely to get a place at the top Uni's, plus extra experience, and even the time off, you may enjoy it.
    umm i heard from durham yesterday, its what caused the panic :P have you been deferred to a college?

yeah i was thinking maybe doing something at a law firm, you know, to maybe boost prospects post-degree a little bit more.

do you know if anyone has heard from warwick for history? i think ive seen one person on here. my friend got rejected the other day with ABBd, dont know what his predictions were though
    eeeep!

PS. loving the david cameron banner
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    that's not lunacy! to be fair, if you honestly thought you were going to be 100% happy doing law at bristol you would have gone. so really you should see it as a blessing that youll now be doing something you truly enjoy and anyway, you can still convert to law after your degree if you feel thats the career you want

also, what have you done on your gap year? i need something worthwhile to consider doing if i take one myself!

and as for the oxford thing, im guessing your school/college thought you stood a chance, if they didnt they would have told you. im starting to think oxbridge relies a lot on chance. (also who you know, to some extent. i know that sounds bitter but ive seen on TSR people talking about having dinners with admissions tutors to boost their kid's chances. what is up with that?!)

the main reason i applied to oxford was because i knew id regret not knowing. so im quite happy i did really

so worried about extra though. as if there are gonna be ANY places for my stupid course :P the thing thats doing my head in is not knowing where ill be/what ill be doing in 8 months time. and knowing i might NOT know until august! eeeeek :eek:
    Haha! Yeah, the fear of not knowing what you're going to be doing in a year, or even in a month if it takes until August, is pretty scary. Although I decided way before that I was going to have a gap year and planned ahead.

My experience so far hasn't been too different from the last two because I decided I wanted to do a History A-level to keep me in education (what can I say? I love learning ). However, it has been a little lonely due to most of my friends being off at uni and envy has definitely settled in, but instead of wallowing in my lack of a future I'm taking this time to write a book which is going very well. A hobby like this has really helped me because had I gone to university I might not have had the oppertunity to write for a very long time, AND I can find out if writing is what I really want to do. I have also got a job, it's not great but it brings in a bit of cash and in the summer, after exams I'm going travelling. Not sure where yet but I'm going somewhere.

If you do decide to take a gap year, my advise would be to make sure you have some sort of plan because without a routine you might find yourself feeling lost and dreading your year. If planned well, your gap year could be amazing, I have a friend who is currently working the ski season in Italy, but I would hate that.

Anyway, you won't need a gap year, your grades are amazing! My contingency plan is to phone up all the universities I want to go to on results day and beg for a place! My logic is that plenty of people will lose their offers because of the new syllabus being, well, new and supposedly harder for arts subjects, and the fact that unis are giving fewer and higher offers this year. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Best not to panic, keep a cool head, i'm sure you'll get in. Keep working hard.

ReputationRep:
    umm i heard from durham yesterday, its what caused the panic :P have you been deferred to a college?

yeah i was thinking maybe doing something at a law firm, you know, to maybe boost prospects post-degree a little bit more.

do you know if anyone has heard from warwick for history? i think ive seen one person on here. my friend got rejected the other day with ABBd, dont know what his predictions were though
    eeeep!

Someone I know is predicted A*A*A and hasn't heard back from Warwick yet. They're just slow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metalexi)
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...nder-cuts.html

This made me feel slightly better!

Hopefully I'll get some decent feedback, you should request it too.
    I will look forward to reading it. :top:

Yeah, when can we get that? I heard they sent feedback to referees, but a) I didn't know if this was automatic or on request, and b) the reference is done by so many people, I'm not sure who exactly gets the feedback!

Do you know any more about this?

ReputationRep:

eeeep!

I just checked for Durham, no reject, but still in Department, not college. No i've heard nothing from Warwick, got a friend who has also applied to them and she hasn't heard either. If they rejected someone the other day, the fact that you haven't been can only be good, yeah? Sorry to hear about Durham though. Also, isn't Warwick AAB at A level? Not quite sure, i'm IB, so it's different.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I know this is repetition of what others have said, but Warwick are known for being extremely slow! Also, don't worry too much, a lot of my friends are brilliant students predicted excellent grades but still have no confirmed places yet. It all depends on where you've applied; your chosen universities are all very competitive and history makes that even worse!

Anyway, best of luck, I'm sure you'll end up studying somewhere you love

ReputationRep:
    My Southampton interview wasn't so much an interview as an informal chat. Granted it was for CompSci, not History, but I hear a few of their departments operate in a similar fashion. I got an offer, as did everybody else who attended interview - from those I kept contact with anyway.

Ox, Dur, Ed are all very competitive universities, especially for something like History. They only have so many spaces, so don't be disheartened because you've not got an offer from them. Everything happens for a reason

Wait out for Warwick and Soton of course, but also bear in mind that even decent universities and courses go into Extra and often even Clearing, so hope is not lost even if you don't get into Warwick or Soton!

Keep your ehad held high, crack on with your A-Level work for now and just hope for the best. There's an array of options to go through after each stage of applying so just let it happen.

Lastly, GOOD LUCK!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaM)
    I will look forward to reading it. :top:

Yeah, when can we get that? I heard they sent feedback to referees, but a) I didn't know if this was automatic or on request, and b) the reference is done by so many people, I'm not sure who exactly gets the feedback!

Do you know any more about this?
    Referee will be your head of year or head teacher. I had to request feedback then a form was sent to my head and I signed and sent back (this was for camb.) Other unis make you wait till they're over with admissions then you can request it.
    I'd go talk to your head of year or head teacher either way and ask if they have heard anything, if not then email oxford as request feedback form or whatever it is to be sent out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watch Out For Sharks)
    SCREW YOU UCL. :cry:
    What's wrong with UCL ?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.