The Student Room Group

Couldn't get my contact lenses in

I went for a contact lense fitting today, the optician put them in for me and they felt fine. He even said he was amazed at how quickly my eyes settled once the lenses were in (I've never worn lenses before) and that he thought I'd get on brilliantly with them.
Then I had to go sit with this woman who was showing me how to take them in and out. I got them out fine but when it came to putting them in, I just couldn't do it. My eyelid kept trying to close so I tried gripping my eyelid more firmly but then the lense wouldn't come off my finger. I feel really frustrated and useless as eventually the woman said "No, this isn't going to work. Go home and practise keeping your eye held open, then come back in a few days".
I've been practising all afternoon and I can touch my eyeball with my finger just fine without my eye trying to close, but I could do that perfectly before I went to the fitting. Any tips?
Reply 1
I remember the first day I tried contacts on. I came out of the opticians with red eyes. :giggle:

I can't remember much other than poking me eye out. Sorry I can't help! :o:
dont worry about it, im sure as you do it more and more your become more confident :smile: it took me a few tried before getting it perfect. Just keep the eye wide open, keeping the upper lid out the way, and with the lense sticking to the finger make sure its just lightly pressed onto your finger.
Keep trying, soon your be doing it with your eyes closed 'not literally' :P
Reply 3
amyshamblesxx
I went for a contact lense fitting today, the optician put them in for me and they felt fine. He even said he was amazed at how quickly my eyes settled once the lenses were in (I've never worn lenses before) and that he thought I'd get on brilliantly with them.
Then I had to go sit with this woman who was showing me how to take them in and out. I got them out fine but when it came to putting them in, I just couldn't do it. My eyelid kept trying to close so I tried gripping my eyelid more firmly but then the lense wouldn't come off my finger. I feel really frustrated and useless as eventually the woman said "No, this isn't going to work. Go home and practise keeping your eye held open, then come back in a few days".
I've been practising all afternoon and I can touch my eyeball with my finger just fine without my eye trying to close, but I could do that perfectly before I went to the fitting. Any tips?

If it helps, when putting the contacts in, dont look directly at them. Look away from them, up or sideways etc, that should keep you from blinking when putting them in.
i only recently got contact lenses as well and i had a similar problem to you.
What I found helped was staring straight ahead while holding my eye open wide and not to think too much about what you are doing. If i was thinking "i hope it goes in this time" then i would usually blink or something but if i thought about something completley unrealated and just stared straight ahead while i put them in, then they went in alot easier

I am only speaking from personal experience here so this might not be helpful for you but i thought i would try :smile:

Good Luck
Reply 5
amyshamblesxx

I put it on the lower part of my eyeball then sorta slide it up then blink. It means you don't have to hold your eyelid open and the bottom part of the eye is a lot easier to touch.
Practice Practice Practice Practice. You'll get it once and then just kind of get used to succeeding.

Try and focus on your reflection in the mirror, or try staring directly ahead so the eye you're putting it into is staring directly at the lens, I find both these ways helped a lot when I was learning.

When I went for my fit the woman was really impatient, really pissing me off as well, she kept walking off and making a big deal when she had to clean her hands with the alcohol gel.
moneyballs2
Practice Practice Practice Practice. You'll get it once and then just kind of get used to succeeding.

Try and focus on your reflection in the mirror, or try staring directly ahead so the eye you're putting it into is staring directly at the lens, I find both these ways helped a lot when I was learning.

When I went for my fit the woman was really impatient, really pissing me off as well, she kept walking off and making a big deal when she had to clean her hands with the alcohol gel.

Yes, this woman was being a real b.itch to me too and it made me more nervous I think. She kept talking to another woman who worked there and wasn't fully concentrating on me so maybe that's why I was having difficulty. I'm just going to go back and if it's her again, tell her that I need to keep practising. Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 8
josh_a_y
If it helps, when putting the contacts in, dont look directly at them. Look away from them, up or sideways etc, that should keep you from blinking when putting them in.

This. The white part of your eye is much less sensitive than the cornea. Also, make sure the lens doesn't dry out on your hand, it can make it difficult to adhere to your eye. You've probably been told this but hold your top lid from the edge with two fingers of your other hand. Like this:

and not loosely like this:

amyshamblesxx

I could have written the exact same, I've been twice to fittings and epicly failed both times. I really should go and try again :s-smilie:
Reply 10
I've tried to use contacts and it's just too difficult. Before I got them I had no idea people found it so hard. Honestly, I think I'll just save and get laser eye surgery.
Well, i was pretty much instantly fine with contact lenses but i suggest you keep practicing with them. Eventually you'll get it.
I wore eye contacts for a few years or so. I found it was easier for them to 'let go' of your fingers if they were dry and didn't have lense fluid on, so your eyes are wetter in comparison.

Similarly, I found them much easier to take out if I held my eye open for a few moments, and flapped my hand to waft air over it, making the lense dry out.

In the end I just went back to glasses.
You'll get used to it. They do tend to go on better when you look directly at your finger, and touching the contact gently on - maybe it's not coming off because you press your eye?

Latest

Trending

Trending