Turn on thread page Beta

would this annoy you? watch

anon please because i don't know if they're on here.

i'm in first year halls at uni and basically little things about my flatmates are really starting to bug me. mostly, they'll use my stuff and leave it out for days after - but it's things like plates, knives, forks and glasses, that they obviously have themselves, i think they use mine so i'll wash it up which i find really annoying. i don't know if that's petty of me or what, but i resent the idea of washing up after people who constantly use my stuff without asking. one always drinks milk out of my glasses then leaves it for so long it basically solidifies. it's disgusting!

i don't know if i'm being petty or have a right to be annoyed. it's not a massive issue, it just frustrates me when i go to get a drink and have no glasses left because they're used them all and left them out dirty! lots of my stuff have gone missing too, like glasses, cutlery and mugs. would you be annoyed? what would you do?
    or just share your general flatmate rants!

oh my god that would annoy me so much.. i hate it when people go through my stuff or use it without my permission. I would talk to them mine generally know i have an OCD if something is not clean so they generally help out. Or this might sound childish but only wash what you need and then leave it out as well so they have to wash it if they need it and it'll just be a cycle.. ?

ReputationRep:
    Change the lock.

Problem solved.

ReputationRep:
    U definately have a right to be annoyed, talk with them and if they dont start to respect you things consider moving out somewhere different.

ReputationRep:
    If there's none of your stuff left, use theirs. If there's none of their stuff left either, unfortunately you have cocks for housemates. Soz. Invest in a vault to keep your crockery in.

ReputationRep:
    That happened to me, 2 girls in my flat would have >10 people round, use all 4 hob rings, chain microwave stuff and use all my things as well as theirs though.

for example: one time i went into the kitchen and they were all having pizza and they had my cheese grater, which is fine, i come in 4-5 hours later theyve washed up everything except for my cheese grater and my cutlery. After this started happening pretty much every day i moved my cutlery to my bedroom, and the things that i use very rarely but seem to wash up 4+ times a week like my sive and huge frying pan + wisk.

I know how you feel it really started to stress me out, espesh because in our halls whenever we leave stuff out the cleaner takes it away and we have to pay £5 to get it back, i would stay at my boyfriends house, come back and find all my stuff had been used, left out, and taken away by the cleaner.

Just move some stuff to your room that they seem to use all the time, the extra effort in taking your stuff to the kitchen is less than the extra effort of washing it all up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    anon please because i don't know if they're on here.

i'm in first year halls at uni and basically little things about my flatmates are really starting to bug me. mostly, they'll use my stuff and leave it out for days after - but it's things like plates, knives, forks and glasses, that they obviously have themselves, i think they use mine so i'll wash it up which i find really annoying. i don't know if that's petty of me or what, but i resent the idea of washing up after people who constantly use my stuff without asking. one always drinks milk out of my glasses then leaves it for so long it basically solidifies. it's disgusting!

i don't know if i'm being petty or have a right to be annoyed. it's not a massive issue, it just frustrates me when i go to get a drink and have no glasses left because they're used them all and left them out dirty! lots of my stuff have gone missing too, like glasses, cutlery and mugs. would you be annoyed? what would you do?
    or just share your general flatmate rants!
    I think you've got a right to be pissed off. My flatmates are pretty damn good not had any problems but yesterday for the first time (since October) one used my cutting board and it's still there on the worktop with crap all over now, and I'm pretty damn pissed off. Not because they used it, I don't care if they need to use my stuff, but because they haven't bothered to clean it up afterwards which is just rude. Also someone ate my muller rice :dry:

So yeah it's annoying, especially if it happened all the time like it does to you. Maybe have a word with them, like friendly; "hey I don't mind you using my stuff but could you please wash up afterwards so I can use it too, thanks". But keep it friendly. if you leave them a petty note they'll probably find it funny and do it even more to piss you off.

ReputationRep:
    tell them to leave your stuff alone. they won't like you but at least you'll have clean cups. or hide your crockery in unexpected places. I hide a cup behind the herbal tea for when my family are like me too lazy to wash up.

ReputationRep:
    This is totally annoying, and I think revenge is needed. Spike his/her milk next time with some mould you grew off one of the old glasses of milk that you cunningly hid on top of your radiator. Hiding your crockery and stuff would be a good plan too, we have lockable cupboards so that it doesn't get confused whether on purpose or otherwise.

Do they all do it? Because maybe they don't have any and they are too lazy to get their own...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i would say try just asking them first but when i tried it they literaly blanked me, so yeh...

ReputationRep:
    i hate my flatmates too :five:

ReputationRep:
    Just keep **** in your room I guess

(Original post by Callipygian)
    for example: one time i went into the kitchen and they were all having pizza and they had my cheese grater, which is fine, i come in 4-5 hours later theyve washed up everything except for my cheese grater and my cutlery.
    this is what annoys me the most - they wash all their stuff and leave mine out, and then the one who does it the most moans to me about the kitchen being messy as though i should be cleaning it up!
    it just feels like it's always MY stuff too. i saw one of my flatmates once sat eating dinner off my plate when i could clearly see one of his of the side!

unfortunately we don't have locks on our cupboards. i might move my stuff into my room for a while to prove a point! or mention it casually.

thank you for the replies, glad to know it would annoy other people too!

ReputationRep:
    No offence, but you need to get a bit of back bone.
    People probably don't know you've got such a problem with it.
    If people mess with my stuff and don't fix it they'll know about it.
    I even say it to my bf because he is so messy.
    But I'm lovely really

ReputationRep:
    Spit in everything after using it
    Who will wanna touch it then?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -XxX-)
    i hate my flatmates too :five:
    :yes: me too, me too..

My kitchenmerts often use my equipment too. :grumble: And not the good kind. :sexface:

And some of my food has been stolen. And someone keeps drinking my Robinsons'.

:grumble:

ReputationRep:
    This would deffinitely annoy the hell out of me!

ReputationRep:
    I would have a massive cooking session and use as much of their stuff as possible and then leave it all in the sink for them to wash up.

That is annoying and out order.

(Original post by kamc)
    I would have a massive cooking session and use as much of their stuff as possible and then leave it all in the sink for them to wash up.

That is annoying and out order.
    Retaliation never helps! Look at Afghanistan!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.