Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I have been doing 30mins on the elliptical machine (bout 250 cals) then 10 mins at 6.0 on the treadmill about 3 times a week. Just trying to lose a bit of weight and get fitter really.

Did some reading on here, and seems that HIIT is better for weight loss. So I gave it a go according to the sticky, on the elliptical thingy but really struggled, as well as feeling a bit of an idiot at the gym. Would going running in some open space be better maybe?

If anyone could also suggest something better than just cardio just to lose a bit of weight and feel healthier I'd appreciate it. Sorry, am a bit of a newbie!

ReputationRep:
    Personally I find running outdoors better; the change of scenery helps me going a lot longer than on the treadmill and the hills and changes of terrain throw in some added challenges.
    Try outdoors running and see which you prefer, keep up the 40mins of cardio plan! In time you'll be able to add more exercise and really see the difference

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean by you struggled? General unfitness or because it's awkward? If it's the latter, what i do is hold on to the 'horn bars' instead of the thing sticking up the way. if it's to do with not being fit enough, build it up, start with 10 secs hard, 20 secs gentle, and do that for about 8 mins or something.

ReputationRep:
    It was more to do with fitness I guess, the weirdness was just from everyone else just doing steady stuff, not panting like mad! :o:

Should I be doing any weights too? Or sit-ups, which all the other girls seem to do?!

ReputationRep:
    I know how you mean, before i was really into weights i did hiit, I was like totally sweaty after 15 mins whilst other guys who have been there for like an hour are barely panting and they look at me like :lolwut: tsk tsk.

Course you should! Squat, Shoulder press and deadlift will shape your body nicely. Google these if need be
    Heavy weights, low repititions..and don't worry about heavy weights, you will not be manly or whatever

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.