Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnthebaptist1)

The benefits to the country would be endless. The majority of the negative aspects that can be cited by critics of the drug only exist due to its current legal status - rather than the actual drug.
    This is so ridiculously true.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Why...

Eight out of 10 first-time mental patients in Britain are heavy cannabis users.

Research in Denmark in 2005 showed that nearly half of all patients treated for cannabis-induced psychosis developed schizophrenia and almost a third went on to become full-blown paranoid schizophrenics.

Other research in New Zealand showed that young men who had smoked cannabis as seldom as three times were more likely to exhibit schizophrenic symptoms by age 26.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philipphilosophy)
    Cannabis is good.
    If everyone was smoking weed on a night out you wouldnt get people fighting and robbing and smashing and yelling. you would get a load of stoners munching, cracking up, and smiling complacently all night. Up with weed, Down with alcohol.
    People chat such bull on alcohol, whereas people who have smoked a bit of pot will think more abstractly. granted most of the time it'll be a load of bull too, but its a hell of a lot more interesting and less smelly.
    Couldn't have put it better myself... :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I smoked a little a few years back, it was a good experience although its a shame that it has been demonised, but thats all down to the inability to tax it i guess.

However on the flipside, my cousin managed to develop Psychosis about 5 years ago from smoking too much weed, he is only really coming back to being his old self now. Scary stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    No.

Why...

Research in Denmark in 2005 showed that nearly half of all patients treated for cannabis-induced psychosis developed schizophrenia and almost a third went on to become full-blown paranoid schizophrenics.

Other research in New Zealand showed that young men who had smoked cannabis as seldom as three times were more likely to exhibit schizophrenic symptoms by age 26.
    This doesn't mean that 8 out of ten heavy cannabis users will become mental patients yaknow..

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    No.

Why...

which came first -- the chicken or the egg? which came first -- the brocolli or the mental illness?

ReputationRep:
    Its considerably less harmful than alcohol and tobacco, if it were legalised and then taxed it would be a very good source of revenue for the government and would easily pay for any strain on the NHS caused by it. I cannot see a single good argument for keeping it banned that isn't political.

ReputationRep:
    absolutely ****ing amazing.

ReputationRep:
    No.

Why...

You do realise that the vast majority of cannabis users have no symptoms of mental health at all, so it's more of a correlation between mental health and cannabis use rather than the other way round.

It's definitely not a causal relationship, because cannabis is one of the most used drugs in human history; if it did cause mental health then I think we'd have found that out by now, and in a very big way with large numbers of health patients.

All the research shows is that mental health patients are the kind of people that are more likely to smoke cannabis, not that the people who smoke cannabis become mental health patients. There is a difference, and if you actually do some research you'll find out that cannabis is not nearly as bad as the daily mail would love it to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    Bad because it's harmful to your mental and physical health. Yes so are cigarettes and alcohol, which are equally as bad as cannabis (if not worse). I'm not saying that I think it should be made illegal, but if asked if it's good or bad, it's bad - it certainly isn't good!
    What evidence is there that it is bad for your physical health? Cigarettes and alcohol are FAR worse for your health than cannabis, especially alcohol. The link between alcohol abuse and schizophrenia is much more established than that for cannabis.

Where are you getting the figure that 8 out of 10 mental patients are heavy cannabis users?

Your second point shows how facts can be presented in a skewed way. Actually, little over a quarter of patients treated for cannabis-induced psychosis developed schizophrenia - but seeing as they were already psychotic on admission thats hardly suprising. Talking numbers here, that was 803 admitted between 1994-1999 and 238 later developed schizophrenia. Put another way, that group represents less than 1 in 100,000 people in Denmark. There are many other things I could talk about in that paper which make the evidence for a causal link very weak.

The New Zealand study I assume you are talking about is the Dundin study. What you failed to mention was that they also said the results they drew didn't show significance after adjusting for confounding factors.

My personal opinion is that the link between cannabis use and development of schizophrenia is tentative at best, and even then, the evidence suggests it only applies to those individuals who are vulnerable to the effects of cannabis.

EDIT:
    Furthermore I think I should add that despite cannabis use quintupling in the last 40 years, rates of schizophrenia have actually fallen.

ReputationRep:
    Well Cannabis chills me out at Uni and helps my backpain.

(Original post by Mr Sparkles)
    Bad because it's harmful to your mental and physical health. Yes so are cigarettes and alcohol, which are equally as bad as cannabis (if not worse). I'm not saying that I think it should be made illegal, but if asked if it's good or bad, it's bad - it certainly isn't good!
    Citations, please. It's interesting that for a drug that's apparently dangerous enough to deserve Class B status, there has never been a recorded case of harmful overdose, nor any peer-reviewed scientific studies conclusively demonstrating any link to mental illness. The closest anyone has ever come couldn't even get past the correlation/causation problem, and only applied to a small minority of the population anyway.

Incidentally, guys, not to be a spoil sport, but admitting to the possession and use of a Class B substance on an internet forum account that could probably quite easily be tied to the real you isn't an awesome idea. Leaving aside the nice little evidence trail it leaves for the police, a hell of a lot of employers have very unenlightened views about cannabis.

ReputationRep:
    Skunk bad, weed good
    Though I cant smoke anymore as it induces paranoia. Skunk is really nasty

ReputationRep:
    Good nice and chilled out, bearing in mind that I used it for 2 years solid 14-16 and still use it on occasion..
    I still manage to get into the 7th best law school in the country (Queen Mary)
    Still waiting on my other applications (Kings College, Ucl and Lse)
    also got into Sussex

ReputationRep:
    After seeing the bumbling fools on Jeremy Kyle,
    I'd say bad.

However I know people who've smoked it
    and since I've never done it myself, I guess my thoughts don't qualify.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody interested in the truth about Cannabis should watch this - if you think it is as half as bad as portrayed after watching this then you are ignorant!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...14414651731007

The rumours about "skunk" are totally dumb-founded. If you say stuff like "skunk bad, weed good" then you don't have a clue. Skunk is just a stupid name for strong weed. It is no more dangerous than your average weed..... really. It's just ******* bomb weed! You want that stuff!!

The only problems with weed are those that are created by prohbition itself... "you don't know what's in the stuff!"... yeah, well if it was legalised then it would be regulated so we would know EXACTLY what was in it!

Legalisation, fo sho, would be GOOD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    Incidentally, guys, not to be a spoil sport, but admitting to the possession and use of a Class B substance on an internet forum account that could probably quite easily be tied to the real you isn't an awesome idea. Leaving aside the nice little evidence trail it leaves for the police, a hell of a lot of employers have very unenlightened views about cannabis.
    What you think the police would go to all the effort to contact TSR to find out your IP address, then contact your ISP to find out where you are and then bother to come around your house just to get you done for a drug for which the punishment is a simple warning?... are you insane?

(Original post by tomo2000)
    What you think the police would go to all the effort to contact TSR to find out your IP address, then contact your ISP to find out where you are and then bother to come around your house just to get you done for a drug for which the punishment is a simple warning?... are you insane?
    They're starting to use the internet a lot more. There have been numerous stories in America of people being busted for advertising their own criminal activities (and victimless ones at that like drug use and underage drinking) on social networking sites, so I don't really think it's that outlandish. They already waste huge amounts of time and money dealing with cannabis in general. They wouldn't need to find your IP address half the time; it's ridiculously easy to link accounts to names and faces if you know how to use a search engine and the target hasn't been really, really careful.

And, again, it's not just the police. Employers will google job applicants. They may not be impressed if they find a link to a TSR account talking about how much the applicant loves skunk. In the end, you can never know when admission of criminal liability could come back to bite you in the ass. We have a right against self-incrimination for a reason; turning around and publically confessing to crimes for all the world to see somewhat erodes the point of that, don't you think?

Um, either, depending on the context.

As a medicinal plant it's good, but strong skunk really does seem to mess with your mind and that's clearly bad (the solution of course is legalisation and regulation, because I don't know anybody who actively chooses skunk over normal marijuana.)

I've stopped smoking cannabis now because the only thing I can find here is skunk, and a year and a bit of smoking that put me off even smoking just normal cannabis anyway, which is a shame.

Should it be legalised? Well, clearly - the drugs experts all suggest it consistently, however apparently if they become too outspoken on the issue they will simply be sacked by the government. :rolleyes:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.