Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

CANNABIS: Good or Bad? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by numb3rb0y)
    I'd love to know where you're getting your information. There has never, ever, ever been a recorded case linking cannabis use to lung cancer.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7217601.stm - saying there's a link
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4350642.stm - saying there isn't

lets face it people, the experts just dont know. its ur life, gamble with it if u so wish.

ReputationRep:
    Infertility- Lifestyle factors in deteriorating male reproductive health. 2009. Kumar S, Kumari A, Murarka S.
    http://www.womens-health.co.uk/infertility5.asp

Stroke- any google or pubmed search brings up case studies. Whilst the exact pathophysiology isn't known ischaemic strokes in young pts with no atherosclerosis but who do smoke cannabis point to the vasoconstrictive mechanisms of the drug causing them. Having a study to prove causality is in no way ethical though, although I suggest that not many 15yr olds in this kids situation that didn't smoke it would have a spontaneous stroke - Stroke Associated with Marijuana Abuse. 2000. Daniel White, David Martin, Thomas Geller, Thomas Pittman

This is the closest you can get to a RCT due to ethics: Marijuana abusers are at increased risk for stroke. Preliminary evidence from cerebrovascular perfusion data. 2001. Herning RI, Better WE, Tate K, Cadet JL.

obesity- 'munchies' you eat. you get fat. yes, you can exercise blah blah blah but if you didn't then dope makes you hungry and you eat excessively...

Lung cancer - Evaluation of the DNA damaging potential of cannabis cigarette smoke by the determination of acetaldehyde derived N2-ethyl-2'-deoxyguanosine adducts.
    Singh R, Sandhu J, Kaur B, Juren T, Steward WP, Segerbäck D, Farmer PB. (2009 - Chem Res Toxicol.)

There are plenty of other studies which can show a link in humans (Cannabis smoking and risk of lung cancer in men: a pooled analysis of three studies in Maghreb. Berthiller J, Straif K, Boniol M, Voirin N, Benhaïm-Luzon V, Ayoub WB, Dari I, Laouamri S, Hamdi-Cherif M, Bartal M, Ayed FB, Sasco AJ, 2008 Journal of Thorcacic Oncology), however as weed is smoked with tobacco it is difficult to prove actual causality, unless a v unethical study is to be put forward and approved (which it won't be)

Bassman - you have a little read around too. There are numerous papers questioning the balance between medicinal use and the long term effects, plus it is used in lower doses than the stuff on the streets. Increased appetite seems poor justification for the possible negative effects to me, there are other meds that could have this effect. You still haven't shown me the effects for AIDS pts...

Thingeh - I said 'linked to' and not 'causes'. Please don't patronise me as believe me i understand the difference... However, as they deem it important enough to mention it in our pharmacology lectures at med school I thought i'd throw it in

Anyhoo, as long as you want to keep pointing out that 'we can't prove it' then keep on hiding behing behind those words as it is near impossible to recruit random people to ingest illegal drugs for the sake of proving negative effects.

Skunk has 15-30% more THC than cannabis sold in the 60s did and increased negative effects are being reported in users, especially young people - implying that higher dosages are more likely to incur negative effects, particularly to mental health - the proof is chucking **** around psych units up and down the country.

Anyways if you wanna use it then that's fine with me. I really couldn't care but imo it's bad and comparing it to worse things doesn't make it any less of a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NyLonEd)
    I don't think it's bad, as long as you don't smoke it to excess.
    Since the Summer I've only smoked it about 4 times and the last time was on New Years.

Don't see too much harm in it.

Also never had to pay for it, oh yeahhhh

How much does it generally cost then?

Do you go to greenwich community college or greenwich college. If its the former then i feel sorry for you.

Oh and nothing wrong with a joint once in while. And ive never paid for it either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellybee)
    lets face it people, the experts just dont know. its ur life, gamble with it if u so wish.
    You could say the same about alcohol, or driving a car. We all take risks, but if the risk with cannabis is slim enough to not be able to prove conclusively then it is a minimal risk. It's less of a gamble, and closer to certainty that there is not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ticktockclock)
    Do you go to greenwich community college or greenwich college. If its the former then i feel sorry for you.

Oh and nothing wrong with a joint once in while. And ive never paid for it either.
    lol harsh not paying, bad etiquette :P

I think weed is good, and would be so much better for everyone if it is legalised.

Less harmful than alcohol, socially and physically.

And it feels better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HyperGiant)
    You could say the same about alcohol, or driving a car. We all take risks, but if the risk with cannabis is slim enough to not be able to prove conclusively then it is a minimal risk. It's less of a gamble, and closer to certainty that there is not.
    the problem is that noone can make up their minds - at least with alcohol or smoking its pretty widely accepted as bad for you. and theyve been studied alot more than cannabis i would assume. so weed cant really be considered less of a gamble simply because the evidence is inconclusive.
    but hey, u only live once :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellybee)
    but hey, u only live once :cool:
    Exactly .

Mind you that still doesn't mean I'll go shoot up some heroin :p:

ReputationRep:
    Blows a hole in your brain and your finances, bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    Blows a hole in your brain and your finances, bad.
    way cheaper to use than alcohol for the same/better effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HyperGiant)
    way cheaper to use than alcohol for the same/better effect.
    Alcohol is bad too :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Neither really, but not the evil it is sometimes made out to be. Of course there is the potential of negative consequences, but isn't there always? I just can't put it as being any worse than alcohol when I see the state of some people on a night out. Then they go and do it again a few days later.
    and again
    and again
    and then then they all get liver failure and die, or something to that effect. Much like someone who finds them self smoking cannabis too often will probably face up to anxiety and paranoia. Everything in moderation, my dears.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, moral panic over a bit of a spliff. Never knew the country was so concerned with health problems. Why are we a country full of fatties then?

Caused by drinking too much, not eating decent food, and a lack of exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    Alcohol is bad too :yes:
    Worse even, cancer, heart disease and obesity (only because many alcoholic drinks are very high calorie).

MJ is the drunk of choice.

put that blunt down just for a second,don't get me wrong it's not a new method,
    Inhale,Exhale,
    Just got a ounce in the mail

all night long...
    i wanna take hits from the :bong2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ticktockclock)

Unfortunately, it is the former and I feel sorry for myself most days

ReputationRep:
    It's alright in moderation. It's bad when people are smoking it everyday and it's making them go a bit weird haha. But then again that's the same with alcohol and ciggarettes isn't it? xx

ReputationRep:
    Anybody saying there are cases of cancer in cannabis smokers are talking crap.

Studies imply an increased risk in cannabis smokers. However, there has never been a case of a cannabis-only smoker getting lung cancer or brown lung syndrome or anything similar.

Most people I know that smoke weed don't like tobacco, I certainly know I don't want that brown **** in my green. Cannabis-only smokers are better off than people who smoke cigs. The link to cancer has not been proven and should not be spoken about until it has done so. You can't just assume there is a link if it's not been proved....

ReputationRep:
    It should be legal. All drugs should be legal.

ReputationRep:
    you could call cannabis a "bad" if you really want to but the thing is people enjoy whats bad from them! Alcohol, cigarettes, chocolate cake, fast food. There's nothing wrong with enjoying things that are bad for you as long as its in moderation. The government has no right to control a person doing something if it doesn't harm someone else.

To the people arguing about and cannabis and tobacco. If someone smoked 20 spliffs a day for 20 years I think they would probably have a chance of getting cancer. the thing is most cannabis smokers don't smoke anywhere near the same amount as tobacco users meaning cannabis is "safer".

ReputationRep:
    It's not something I've ever used, or plan to use, so it doesn't bother me either way.

Depending on scientific evidence, it should be banned/decriminalised accordingly. As long as it doesn't cause harm, each to their own, I say

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.