Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to deal with a *****y environment at work? watch

Announcements

Hi - please don't move to careers and employment as I won't be able to continue posting anonymously. Thanks.

Ok well, I work for a clothing retailer that is reknowned for its customer service and friendly staff. I won't mention the name, but it's international and has stores across the world, go figure.

For the first month, I thought everyone I worked with was really nice. Now I've realised that actually it's a very *****y place - I've noticed people *****ing about others, and you know when you can just tell that people are talking about you? This one girl is so rude to me for no reason.

Anyway, it allgot too much for me today, and at the end of my shift I was in the staffroom with a girl and I just let rip into this one girl who had been rude to me earlier, and now I feel so terrible for it!

I just find it hard to gel with some of the staff members... Anyway, what is the best way to deal with a *****y workplace?

Grit your teeth and get on with the job?

ReputationRep:
    It's sad, but you'll find that this happens wherever you go; once you're no longer the new one, you see the *****ier side to work.
    Try not to get yourself into any trouble by *****ing and people getting wind of it, even if it's easy to get drawn into it.
    If you do find yourself particularly annoyed with staff members, as I do with a couple of particularly nasty ones, I just have to grit my teeth and remember that it's not just me they're picking on, it's other young people as well. There just seems to be this bitterness towards part-timers still in college/uni where the some of the full-time people give us a hard time and brand us "lazy".
    I just have to keep in mind that I won't be stuck there forever, it's only a part-time thing for a bit of income; once I leave work I try not to think about it. If it's so bad it's making you do nothing but dread work then start looking elsewhere, otherwise grit your teeth and stick with the people who you get on with; you're never going to please everyone but so long as there are people you can relate to that makes the job easier!

ReputationRep:
    Find a male dominated workplace.

Harsh, but true.

(Original post by x-Disenchanted-x)
    It's sad, but you'll find that this happens wherever you go; once you're no longer the new one, you see the *****ier side to work.
    Try not to get yourself into any trouble by *****ing and people getting wind of it, even if it's easy to get drawn into it.
    If you do find yourself particularly annoyed with staff members, as I do with a couple of particularly nasty ones, I just have to grit my teeth and remember that it's not just me they're picking on, it's other young people as well. There just seems to be this bitterness towards part-timers still in college/uni where the some of the full-time people give us a hard time and brand us "lazy".
    I just have to keep in mind that I won't be stuck there forever, it's only a part-time thing for a bit of income; once I leave work I try not to think about it. If it's so bad it's making you do nothing but dread work then start looking elsewhere, otherwise grit your teeth and stick with the people who you get on with; you're never going to please everyone but so long as there are people you can relate to that makes the job easier!
    I see what you mean and thanks for the advice.

I am a 'full timer' though technically. I wonder if it's so *****y just because it is fashion retail and it's some sort of 'image' thing they have going on.

It just makes break times really awkward, and I find some of them unapproachable. Also, I am still 'new' even though been there a month :p: It seems odd that some have been so.. unwelcoming!

(Original post by pimpman777)
    Find a male dominated workplace.

Harsh, but true.
    I agree actually. But I prefer working in retail rather than, for example, in a car showroom or something...

It's just a job until I go to university, but that's another 9 months!!!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly try and rise above it i know exactly the feeling
    was like that for me especially as i was the youngest one when i started at my place the *****yness hasnt stopped but iv got a good group of friends now so it makes it easier but my place has turned into a them against us situation at least im on the right side
    im guessing its like that basically everywhere tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I agree actually. But I prefer working in retail rather than, for example, in a car showroom or something...

It's just a job until I go to university, but that's another 9 months!!!
    I don't think there's anything else much you can do to be honest, except for ignoring it or putting up with it. It's pretty amazing because I observe this pretty much wherever I go.

ReputationRep:
    Just focus on your work and ignore all your co-workers actions.

ReputationRep:
    Its best to ignore but, if it gets way too out of hand...you must stand your ground.
    Be polite, yet straightforward. No one has the right to be *****y at you if you haven't done anything wrong Good luck!

(Original post by sunpsychedelic)
    Its best to ignore but, if it gets way too out of hand...you must stand your ground.
    Be polite, yet straightforward. No one has the right to be *****y at you if you haven't done anything wrong Good luck!
    I was just surprised because like.. during my first week there, I went on facebook (at home obv) and searched for one of the girls and although I am not her friend on FB, I could view all her profile, and her status was ''What a day - never knew training your replacement at work would be like training a retarded chimpanzee''

:lolwut: Who does that to someone that has just started? It's a huge brand, and they are picky on who they employ, but it seems they have chosen all the wrong people!!

ReputationRep:
    I was just surprised because like.. during my first week there, I went on facebook (at home obv) and searched for one of the girls and although I am not her friend on FB, I could view all her profile, and her status was ''What a day - never knew training your replacement at work would be like training a retarded chimpanzee''

:lolwut: Who does that to someone that has just started? It's a huge brand, and they are picky on who they employ, but it seems they have chosen all the wrong people!!
    Wow, she really doesn't seem like a very nice person! Did you make a really big mistake or something, which for some reason annoyed her and was why she put that in her status (though vastly exaggerated, of course)? That's no reason at all for her to be like that, of course - even if you did make mistakes, you were completely new to the job, they should have been more considerate!

ReputationRep:
    Most people quit their jobs solely because of the people.

Don't let this be you. Just stick it out because if someone hates you, it will annoy them more if you don't leave

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you tell us what shop it is?

Unfortunately, any job that has mostly female workers will have a lot of *****iness in it. I just don't involve myself in the *****iness whenever I've experienced it and go do something else if possible. If you want to stay in retail maybe look for jobs in a gender neutral shop or a mens shop if you don't want to be in such a *****y environment.

ReputationRep:

Bloody hell. That's beyond harsh. I'd be crushed if I saw that. You're there for a set time and not forever. You can't get along with everyone in life so unfortunately you will have to just brush it off for now. Find somewhere outside of the staff room to take your breaks or something.

ReputationRep:
    It's the same where I work. But I just think about the money and get on with it, counting down the days til I graduate and will be able to get a better job.

Oh dear Maybe next time get a job in a shop with mostly older people working there? Or a supermarket, less cows you are forced to talk to. I think you've just had bad luck, OP. Grin and bear it until you can quit! x

(Original post by kamc)
    Why can't you tell us what shop it is?

Unfortunately, any job that has mostly female workers will have a lot of *****iness in it. I just don't involve myself in the *****iness whenever I've experienced it and go do something else if possible. If you want to stay in retail maybe look for jobs in a gender neutral shop or a mens shop if you don't want to be in such a *****y environment.
    It's an American clothing store, all I'm saying

Anyway, the *****iness is getting me down. You can't escape from it. If it's not about me, which often I think it is, then it's about someone else.

Some of the 21 year old full timers spent the ENTIRE day today just laying into this 17 year old girl, that I actually find to be very sweet.

(Original post by The Harlequinn Mask)
    Most people quit their jobs solely because of the people.

Don't let this be you. Just stick it out because if someone hates you, it will annoy them more if you don't leave
    I agree with this! I am going to stick it out. I'd rather be a figure of hate and still have a job, than people be indifferent about me and be jobless.

Plus, the customers are really nice usually since it's a higher end store; when I feel down about the *****iness I interact with the custoemrs more and they make me feel better

(Original post by crushedfruit)
    Bloody hell. That's beyond harsh. I'd be crushed if I saw that. You're there for a set time and not forever. You can't get along with everyone in life so unfortunately you will have to just brush it off for now. Find somewhere outside of the staff room to take your breaks or something.
    Thanks for that advice Me and my friend usually go to the food court in the shipping centre for our breaks now It's better than being in the staff room wehere everyone hates us.

ReputationRep:
    I love this thread because I too noticed the *****iness in retail. I've worked in 2 retail shops and 2 restaurants and both retail experiences were swag because I've learnt that a whole lot of staff only really care about their image and theyl'l step on other people to look cool plus it's true that full-timers tend to have attitude towards the part-timers who are in college or uni and you know some of the full-timers are like this because they're bitter over the fact that they are stuck in retail while the students are going somewhere in life

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 4, 2014
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.