Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok i got an exam next week, and i got not get my head around molar mass at all. i know it is simple but i just can't understand for some reason, he is and example of one of the questions, any help would be much appreciated

E.g A balloon is filled with helium gas of molar mass 4.0x10^-3 at 17 degrees c. At a pressure of 1.0x10^5 Pa calculate the number of moles of gas in the balloon?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    pV = nRT

edit - convert temp to kelvin---> temp in kelvin = temp degrees + 273

edit - oh no wait, moles would be just molar mass * avagadros constant

so 4.0*10^-3 * 6.02*10^23 i believe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by betto2468)
    ok i got an exam next week, and i got not get my head around molar mass at all. i know it is simple but i just can't understand for some reason, he is and example of one of the questions, any help would be much appreciated

E.g A balloon is filled with helium gas of molar mass 4.0x10^-3 at 17 degrees c. At a pressure of 1.0x10^5 Pa calculate the number of moles of gas in the balloon?

Thanks
    Actually i don't think we even use avagadros number. Since it's helium can we not the fact that it has atomic mass of 4u? 1 u = 1.66*10^-27 Kg. Therefore it consists of 2 protons and 2 neutrons. Get the mass of each, add them together. Then multiply that by the value given for u. Then divided the molar mass by this mass cause the masses will cancel out and you're left with the moles.

Proton mass = 1.00728 u, neutron mass = 1.00867 u

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.