Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2009 - the year British guitar music died? watch

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this has been already done

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/mu...0/10004881.stm

Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    shame i suppose but a lot of it is/was awful.

ReputationRep:
    Just because its not in the charts doesn't mean it's 'dead'. And I love how they call mainstream pop artists 'independant bands'

ReputationRep:
    None of what they listed there was any good. They mean indie-pop music that is likely to chart.

Not real 'indie' or real rock and roll.

Meh. I enjoyed a fair handful of albums last year.

I'm good :borat:

*goes back to listening to 60s rock*

ReputationRep:
    No, I'd say most students are into 'guitar music', they jusnt don't pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is apart from the Arctic Monkeys, all the bands mentioned in that article were pretty bad in the first place. The problem is not that people don't buy it, but that none of these British 'indie' bands do anything interesting, like American Indie bands do.

ReputationRep:
    Music is cyclic. Nothing really dies, it just goes away for a while.

No; As with any music, if you want it, search harder. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else hate it how all of these massive bands like scouting for girls, the killers etc. are called "indie"?

Its like calling Tescos Extra your local family owned grocery store.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you can't stop the impenetrable force that is N-Dubz!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    None of what they listed there was any good. They mean indie-pop music that is likely to chart.

Not real 'indie' or real rock and roll.

Meh. I enjoyed a fair handful of albums last year.

I'm good :borat:

*goes back to listening to 70s rock*
    Corrected.

Well chart indie music has always been dire in the past few years anyway. Cast your minds to Kaiser Chiefs, Wombats and Scouting For Girls. The latter 2 worse than most mainstream music in the charts anyway, probably worse than it all. There's still a bunch of good bands out there, but they're quite quiet. Athlete's Black Swan should have been bigger, best "indie" album of the year with Yeah Yeah Yeahs It's Blitz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benmh92)
    Corrected.
    :nah:

ReputationRep:
    It is more due to AC/DC releasing an album in 2008 and reminding people how its done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweet.poetry)
    Yeah, you can't stop the impenetrable force that is N-Dubz!!!!
    Please, N-Dubz is just 3 chavs and a keyboard. It appeals to the chav population making them think they can do something.

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

ReputationRep:
    They said this in the 80s because of all the electronic music that was coming out (thanks to Kraftwerk ofc) but music is cyclical and guitar bands will go away for a while..thank god :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    Please, N-Dubz is just 3 chavs and a keyboard. It appeals to the chav population making them think they can do something.

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!
    I hope that what she actually said was sarcasm.

But then again this is TSR, it's always hard to say...

ReputationRep:
    Indie bands being butt hurt about a decline in guitar music? Now I've heard it all.

What rights do they have to be bitter? Their so called 'guitar' music is weaker than a glass of tepid water.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    I hope that what she actually said was sarcasm.

But then again this is TSR, it's always hard to say...
    I'm joking about stopping them. Some of their stuff is quite good. But you can't deny they're 3 chavs and a keyboard.

ReputationRep:
    Dance music seems to be taking over.

Come to think of it there wasn't much good indie music out last year. Even the arctic monkeys third album was a disapointment.

'Surfing' by The Drums is a the best new indie song I've heard in a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    I'm joking about stopping them. Some of their stuff is quite good. But you can't deny they're 3 chavs and a keyboard.
    :facepalm2:

Really..? They're pathetic. Absolutely useless. The use of the word 'Feds' by a British artist to describe the police makes me cringe.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.