Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2009 - the year British guitar music died? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkpenguin)
    I hope that what she actually said was sarcasm.

But then again this is TSR, it's always hard to say...
    I was most definately being sarcastic!!! Its just that the article said something about certain artists beating indie artists in the charts and N Dubz were mentioned when quite frankly, they are crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweet.poetry)
    I was most definitely being sarcastic!!! Its just that the article said something about certain artists beating indie artists in the charts and N Dubz were mentioned when quite frankly, they are crap.
    :five:

Awesome. Sorry to have doubted you :p:

ReputationRep:
    All the artists mentioned in that article are dire. Good bands are out there, look for them. They tend to be the ones who don't get top 10 albums and do tours on a much smaller scale. The ones that genuinely care about their fanbase and communicate with their fans on twitter etc.

Bands such as Kaiser Chiefs and One Night Only etc etc have to accept that music has changed and the majority of their revenue will come from gigs and concerts, not album sales.

(Original post by bittersweet.poetry)
    Yeah, you can't stop the impenetrable force that is N-Dubz!!!!

At least 1/3 of N-dubz is very penetrable :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut: *rushes to read article*

>
    >>
    >>>
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>
    >

Oh :facepalm2: they're talking about the charts, which has been crap since Laurel and Hardy retired. Why does anybody who likes decent music still pay attention to that dookie magnet anyway?????

(Original post by pinkpenguin)
    :facepalm2:

Really..? They're pathetic. Absolutely useless. The use of the word 'Feds' by a British artist to describe the police makes me cringe.

As it should since 'Feds' refers to a federal police force (See: FBI, DEA), something, which, as far as I am aware, Britain lacks.:p:

ReputationRep:
    Never really was a fan of indie music, but it won't actually die regardless. A short period of dormancy most likely.

ReputationRep:
    Well, if the partial demise of indie guitar music means we see people trying to create music like this and less crap like this....

Then I'm fine with it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't give a **** about the use of indie to describe anything but the use of 'guitar music' really grinds my gears.

ReputationRep:
    What on Earth are they talking about when they say 'guitar music'. Most bands feature a guitar.

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad to be honest, that "indie" takes a stand back for a bit. The people that like it seem to me very pretentious, like other genres can't be artfully expressive or arent valid pieces of music. Really gets my goat. I'd love to see more electronic music with less cheese (i.e no basshunter please, no offence to the lovely Jonas) reach the forefront a bit more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlamCanyon)
    What on Earth are they talking about when they say 'guitar music'. Most bands feature a guitar.
    Mass produced Indie-tastic crap factories.

ReputationRep:
    British guitar music isn't dead, it's just not the best selling genre anymore because of this dance/RnB crap coming through.

ReputationRep:
    Good riddance. Some of the 'indie' was okay but most of it is awful imo. So many bands producing the same sound with the same look that wasn't even decent
    It was just a trend that allowed fools who took the piss out of 'rockers' to act as if they were so original and genuine by wearing topshop clothes, it's getting old now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    As it should since 'Feds' refers to a federal police force (See: FBI, DEA), something, which, as far as I am aware, Britain lacks.:p:
    My point exactly

ReputationRep:
    so its not in the charts, chart stuff is pretty shocking anyway

you want good music look for it, it is not dead

must of the band they listed are rubbish, and well people listening to N-Dubz says it all really, i really dunno how they have become so big that are shocking

what they are calling indie is far from indie anyway

ReputationRep:
    It'll be back. I'm glad that it's getting a break from the charts - it means there's less major label funded copycat acts around with taint the genre. There's a chance for some decent bands to come through which has been really lacking this year. Of course, the cycle will start again once that happens, so maybe we should be grateful for this period.

ReputationRep:
    Thank **** tbh - it was getting ridiculous with all these mass-produced indie **** bands churning out songs indistinguishable from the rest. Scouting for girls, the hoosiers, wombats! I couldn't tell them apart. They even managed to ruin Kings of Leon, previously one of my favourite bands of the past decade who actually tried to create their own distinctive sound. Then Sex on Fire came out...

Incidentally my dad has been playing guitar for god knows how long and when he was at university in the 80s he thought that the guitar was dying out. So yes, it's probably just a cyclical (but not altogether unwelcome) chain of events.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't like indie pop anyway
    but now its just going to get taken over by drivel like dubstep
    completely agree, I loled hard when I heard about them being dropped from an anti bullying campaign cos the guy sent hate texts to someone who rang in to a radio show saying they were ****

ReputationRep:
    2009 - the year British indie-pop died?

Good riddance

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.