Turn on thread page Beta

2009 - the year British guitar music died? watch

ReputationRep:
    The bands mentioned don't really fit the "indie pop" moniker - indie pop is more bands like Los Campesinos!, and twee stuff like The Pains of Being Pure at Heart.

Most of them are just alternative rock or mainstream rock to be honest

Everyone's music taste is subjective - who cares, as long as you are enjoying what you are listening to.

ReputationRep:
    "Guitar music" as they call it has been dead for at least the past ten years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DannyBoy123)
    Thank **** tbh - it was getting ridiculous with all these mass-produced indie **** bands churning out songs indistinguishable from the rest. Scouting for girls, the hoosiers, wombats! I couldn't tell them apart. They even managed to ruin Kings of Leon, previously one of my favourite bands of the past decade who actually tried to create their own distinctive sound. Then Sex on Fire came out...

Incidentally my dad has been playing guitar for god knows how long and when he was at university in the 80s he thought that the guitar was dying out. So yes, it's probably just a cyclical (but not altogether unwelcome) chain of events.
    I completely agree.

What happened? :no:

ReputationRep:
    For a start, I don't really see Indie and British guitar music as being one and the same. But regardless of that, being popular and successful and thriving isn't really indicated by presence in the charts: e.g. there's very few metal albums that get high in the charts, but it's far from "dead".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by umbrellahead)
    Bands such as Kaiser Chiefs and One Night Only etc etc have to accept that music has changed and the majority of their revenue will come from gigs and concerts, not album sales.
    umm they probably have accepted it. thats pretty common knowledge isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    Thank goodness. So many boring British indie guitar stuff like The Kooks that, TBH, seems to just use guitars and nothing else. Credit to Coldplay on the other hand for at least using piano and cello on their tracks, and to Snow Patrol, Editors and White Lies for mixing synths as well. Rather than be boring like the Craptic Monkeys!

ReputationRep:
    Well bar the Arctic Monkeys the rest aren't that good anyway. British indie music is different from British guitar music in any case. And I predict a renaissance with The Strokes 4th album coming out this year. Hopefully they'll return to the form of the first two albums and revive the the alternative rock scene. And Arctic Monkeys boring...:rofl: You might not like them but you can't accuse them of being boring. Unlike bands such as Coldplay and Snow Patrol...just goes to show how much you know about music if you think Arctic Monkeys are boring and Coldplay aren't.

Under what pretense are Coldplay boring? Do you not agree that their last album was something different, flavoursome?
    The Arctic Monkeys are by no means boring though. It's clear both bands are always looking to be the best they can be and it shows in the hard work they each respectively put into their albums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    Under what pretense are Coldplay boring? Do you not agree that their last album was something different, flavoursome?
    :ditto:

I loved the last Coldplay album and I wasn't even much of a Coldplay fan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    The Arctic Monkeys are by no means boring though. It's clear both bands are always looking to be the best they can be and it shows in the hard work they each respectively put into their albums.
    In comparison. I don't think Coldplay are boring but I can see how they could be labelled as such whereas I really can't see how the Arctic Monkeys could ever land the label 'boring' seeing as their music is pretty fast-paced whereas quite alot of Coldplay's stuff is pretty slow, mellow stuff. For what it's worth I didn't really like Coldplay's last album anyway. I thought it was pretentious.

(Original post by Scrubby)
    In comparison. I don't think Coldplay are boring but I can see how they could be labelled as such whereas I really can't see how the Arctic Monkeys could ever land the label 'boring' seeing as their music is pretty fast-paced whereas quite alot of Coldplay's stuff is pretty slow, mellow stuff. For what it's worth I didn't really like Coldplay's last album anyway. I thought it was pretentious.
    There's a difference between the speed of the song and if it's interesting or not. Sure, much of Coldplay's stuff is slower, but that makes it in no way less interesting. I didn't like the latest offering from the Arctic Monkeys, but I didn't find it boring. I just preferred the first couple of albums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halfoflessthan50p)
    I completely agree.

What happened? :no:
    their record label realised they could sell many more records if they cut their hair

ReputationRep:
    Like many have already said it's just a phase where pop acts seem to be more successful and appealing. Guitar music will never die really. Guitar music has been given a revival many a time through history and will be given another one in the future.

Neil Young nailed it when he wrote "Hey Hey My My Rock and roll will never die".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yesboss)
    their record label realised they could sell many more records if they cut their hair
    exactly. Looks like topman puked on them.

ReputationRep:
    Who honestly cares about what the charts are doing? If we're oh so above that? This thread should be two responses long at most and look at me adding to all this rubbish.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.