Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is copying chunks out of your previous assignment to your current one considered plagiarism?

I'm copying the theory i wrote last year for a lab report to a scientific essay....they have the same topic.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't, as long as it's your work and it was referenced properly in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    It's best to still reference it.

Self-plagiarism does exist, if not as common as copying from other people.

If you're really unsure, then email somebody in your department with the specifics and let them make a verdict just to be on the safe side.

ReputationRep:
    Remember to call it research and you'll be fine. Researching from yourself. so no, I can't see any problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    No, it's absolutely fine and common in academic works. You can choose wether or not to reference the work - depends how much "whole chunks" actually is. If you really are going to copy half the essay from a lab report then don't bother referencing or the teacher/tutor will just think you're lazy. However if you're only going to copy a paragraph then by referencing your teacher/tutor will actually be impressed. Your choice, but by the sounds of it you're probably copying to much for it to be worth referencing. Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    If you quote and reference it correctly and include it in your bibliography, then it will be fine. If you don't, however, it's considered plagiarism. Plus, the fact you're copying large tracts of work from somewhere else isn't going to look too good anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You have to reference it back to yourself, treating it as you would any other source.

ReputationRep:
    According to my uni's undergraduate handbook its plagarism but I went to see my Tutor about it and she told me it was fine.

Just make sure you speak to someone in your facualty.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    That isnt plagiarism however if you have copied out literally paragraphs then if you get caught they may fail you and punish you as if it were plagiarism, you must reword it and then reference it accordingly. You cannot just copy and paste bits.

ReputationRep:
    If you are copying out large chunks of a piece of work that has already been submitted and assessed then you need to self-reference.

ReputationRep:
    Some places won't give you more marks for work you've already completed. You should ask your tutor about it before doing is, as different places have different views on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    They might down mark you for it if they pick up on it, best not to risk it.

Email your department for the specifics on what to do and how you should reference it.

ReputationRep:
    The simple fact of the matter is, whatever some people say on here, you can self-plagiarise and the penalties can be severe. Make sure you cite every reference, including your own. You will probably find a warning about self plagiarism in your course handbook and many unis make you sign a document when you submit work that specifically mentions self-plagiuarism as part of the general palgiarism statement. I really wish people would stop giving out info that you can't self plagiarise - you could be threatening someones uni career, and a response to a plagiarism panel that someone on TSR said it was ok won't cut much ice.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.