Turn on thread page Beta

Is having three A levels okay? watch

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm doing English Lit, History, Politics and Psychology and I REALLY want to drop psychology. I always have so much work and I was planning to drop it after Year 12 but it's taking up way too much of my time which I'd rather spend on the other three subjects which I do actually enjoy. I know universities say it's not necessary to have a fourth as level but has anyone been at a disadvantage for not having one? Dunno what I should do.

ReputationRep:
    Having three A levels is normal.

ReputationRep:
    i had 4 AS but dropped chemistry in november and IM SO GLAD cuz i woulda been waaaaaaaay more stressed for the tests last week

ReputationRep:
    Some universities require a pass in a fourth AS level subject. UCL definitely does. It may disadvantage you, especially if you want to apply to top universities. The absolute minimum people usually have is 3 A levels and an extra AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    Some universities require a pass in a fourth AS level subject. UCL definitely does. It may disadvantage you, especially if you want to apply to top universities. The absolute minimum people usually have is 3 A levels and an extra AS.
    That's not true, I know plenty of people with just 3 A Levels. I have just 3 no extra at AS, go to a grammar school and have 5 offers from pretty good unis

ReputationRep:
    yeah it is normal.
    I am from a comp school and did 4 AS levels then dropped one and continued doing 3 onto A2.

Didn't disadvantage my application to uni - I got an offer from Cambridge despite having dropped my 4th subject and only continuing with 3 a-levels

ReputationRep:
    Having 3 A levels is the norm, but some universities want an additional AS, so if you can stick it out until next year, that would probably be better.

ReputationRep:
    I only did 2 full A-levels, after dropping 2. But i had 3 AS levels aswell, and im currently studying at Kent uni business school. It all depends on what you want to do and what the uni wants,check it out first.

ReputationRep:
    UCL does not. My sister got an offer with 3 A's and a D at AS.

ReputationRep:
    Not true. I contacted UCL about applying for linguitics as I didn't have an additional AS. They said that they've often excused an applicants lack of an additional AS and encouraged me to apply anyway. I didn't in the end because I didn't like the university and the course wasn't at all what I was looking for.

OP: Don't worry about dropping your fourth AS subject. I dropped one of mine and I got into Edinburgh, King's and York.

It will put you at a disadvantage, but having a fourth AS level isn't completely necessary. In fact, my course at King's said it would be a requirement, but I was still given an offer without an interview.

If you plan on applying for more competitive subjects (e.g. Law, History or English) then I would keep it. However, if you feel it will hugely affect your other AS levels then drop it. You would be in a much better position next year applying to universities with AAA as opposed to ABBd for example.

ReputationRep:
    I have 2 A Levels and 2 AS Levels and I've got along fine.

edit: I got into Cardiff and Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuppie20)
    A D is a pass at A Level.

I take back what I said seeing all of the other responses. It will probably disadvantage you slightly though, especially for competitive courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuppie20)
    A D is still a pass at AS though and that is all they ask for.

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to what TSR seems to show, most people have three A levels, nothing more.

Some of the very top unis may ask for an extra AS level, but not all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_disraeli)
    At the moment I'm doing English Lit, History, Politics and Psychology and I REALLY want to drop psychology. I always have so much work and I was planning to drop it after Year 12 but it's taking up way too much of my time which I'd rather spend on the other three subjects which I do actually enjoy. I know universities say it's not necessary to have a fourth as level but has anyone been at a disadvantage for not having one? Dunno what I should do.

ofcourse it is. i have 3 a levels and I'm awesome.

ReputationRep:
    It probably will disadvantage you slightly. But you could drop Psychology and perhaps take up a "lighter" subject next year if you're applying to the top unis?

ReputationRep:
    sure it is........but its probably b batter that u check wat universities want for the course u wanna do in uni. so its better to check that b4 makin any decision.... u wont regret it.

ReputationRep:
    Im not quite sure if you mean A2 or AS. Either way its worth doing 4 AS levels and 3 A levels. Its what everyone typically does and if it wasnt stressful it probably wouldnt be worth that much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MDEH8176)
    Not true. I contacted UCL about applying for linguitics as I didn't have an additional AS. They said that they've often excused an applicants lack of an additional AS and encouraged me to apply anyway. I didn't in the end because I didn't like the university and the course wasn't at all what I was looking for.

OP: Don't worry about dropping your fourth AS subject. I dropped one of mine and I got into Edinburgh, King's and York.

It will put you at a disadvantage, but having a fourth AS level isn't completely necessary. In fact, my course at King's said it would be a requirement, but I was still given an offer without an interview.

If you plan on applying for more competitive subjects (e.g. Law, History or English) then I would keep it. However, if you feel it will hugely affect your other AS levels then drop it. You would be in a much better position next year applying to universities with AAA as opposed to ABBd for example.
    Do you know if it's better to have like AAAd or just AAA though? What I mean is, is it better to have an extra as level that isn't a very good grade as opposed to not having one at all?

ReputationRep:
    better to have an extra qualification than not I say.
    More UCAS points in the bag..

As long as Psychology doesn't have a detrimental effect on the rest of your grades I think sticking with it until the end of the year then scrapping it is the best thing to do.
    that's my opinion anyway.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.