Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna_disraeli)
    Do you know if it's better to have like AAAd or just AAA though? What I mean is, is it better to have an extra as level that isn't a very good grade as opposed to not having one at all?
    As every single person has said before me, it depends on what university/job you wish to go into.

If you want to do English at Kent... it will make no difference whatsoever.

If you want to do Economics at LSE/Oxbridge, and become an investment banker- then I would say, scrap the D at AS, and just have AAA at A-level. Having the D just proves that you can't manage your time well enough 2complete all tasks/jobs to the same consistent high standard.

ReputationRep:
    Do 1 extra AS in your second year if you want to drop Psychology now that much. You don't HAVE TO but it might put you in slightly disadvantage if you just did 3 A levels and no more AS.
    Having said that, my friend who has been doing only 3 subjects (he dropped Computing in 1st year but didn't take an extra one this year) is now holding offers for Computer Sciences/Maths and Computer Sciences from Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Southampton and Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if it's better to have like AAAd or just AAA though? What I mean is, is it better to have an extra as level that isn't a very good grade as opposed to not having one at all?
    I'm not sure. :confused:

You could argue that you have achieved AAA and also managed to handle an additional AS and get a pass in it. It would also increase your UCAS tariff points and certain universities and courses actually indicate that you need an AS level or state a particular grade. For example, law at King's requires a B at AS. Although I have already mentioned about how universities will often waiver asking offers like in the case of UCL when I emailed them about their linguistics course.

However, you could also argue that the D at AS looks bad in comparison to the other A grades, e.g. you couldn't balance your studies, that you maybe didn't put enough effort in or that it's a subject your weak at.

I really don't know. I suppose in terms of applying to university it can only increase your chances as you will have a higher amount of UCAS points. Although, would you list a D/E grade on your CV or think of it as something to be proud of?

For me, having a D at AS and then AAA at A-level would just bug me. I'm weird like that though.

I got AAA at A-level, but I wasn't happy in my other AS level like yourself. I wasn't well advised in my transition from school to college about A-level subject choices and eventually decided that an AS in Media/Film wasn't really worth having anyway. Focusing on my three other A-levels (that I actually enjoyed studying and were relevant to what I wanted to do at university) worked out better for me.

What sort of subjects would you be interested in at university? Where are you looking to apply?

EDIT: I've taken Psychology to A-level and it is definitely a lot of work. It's not that the material is particularly demanding it's just that there is so much of it! It feels like there are so many research studies and theories to remember. But that's the thing with psychology at A-level; it's just about remembering the research and theories. Seriously, if you have good essay skills (which I'm supposing you do with humanities subjects like English and History) and spend a good amount of time memorizing everything then you will do well. AAAc doesn't look bad at all. Could you get a C or above? Psychology gets A LOT better at A2, although I suppose this isn't really relevant to you!

ReputationRep:
    Having 3 A level subjects are fine.More free time on the timetable.=D

ReputationRep:
    AAAd > AAA

ReputationRep:
    I have pretty rubbish A-Levels (English - C, Sociology - C, Media - C) but they didn't stop getting me into University. So unless you're aiming for a pretty good University then you have nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    If you were applying for say English, I think AAAd with a 'd' in maths would probably be better than AAA. However if the 'd' was in a subject relevant to English then probably not.

ReputationRep:
    Why do people make these stupid threads when they know the answer but can't face the truth.

Make your own mind up for gods sake...

ReputationRep:
    I have three A2s, and I didn't take four AS subjects, only three. And I got an offer from Oxford. So I don't think it's really important.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what uni you go to. Some don't even count AS grades, so you should look into it properly before you make any real decision about it.

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm doing English Lit, History, Politics and Psychology and I REALLY want to drop psychology. I always have so much work and I was planning to drop it after Year 12 but it's taking up way too much of my time which I'd rather spend on the other three subjects which I do actually enjoy. I know universities say it's not necessary to have a fourth as level but has anyone been at a disadvantage for not having one? Dunno what I should do.
    I would say keep going until you get the AS,then drop it in your final year. As long as you have a pass in a fourth AS your not at a disadvantage.

Hope I could help!

ReputationRep:
    I have 3 a-levels (and a D at the AS subject I dropped) and 5 offers...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.