Turn on thread page Beta

This isn't right watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today when I came onto the Medicine forum I noticed that there is a link in one of the announcements for an extortionately priced medical masterclass (link).

Now, if you've spent any time at all on this forum you'll know that very few people have anything decent to say about them. But given the amount of threads that crop up a lot of applicants clearly are curious as to how good they are.

Obviously TSR is here to make money, and I'm fine with all the advertising for contact lenses or a bank or whatever the hell else, but to have one of these classes as an announcement underneath the "Welcome to the Medicine Forum" banner just smacks of taking the piss a bit. Because it looks a lot like it's recommended, which could probably convince some applicants coming to the site to go on it, and it also works to undo all of the good wok Hygeia's done for the site.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Today when I came onto the Medicine forum I noticed that there is a link in one of the announcements for an extortionately priced medical masterclass (link).

Now, if you've spent any time at all on this forum you'll know that very few people have anything decent to say about them. But given the amount of threads that crop up a lot of applicants clearly are curious as to how good they are.

Obviously TSR is here to make money, and I'm fine with all the advertising for contact lenses or a bank or whatever the hell else, but to have one of these classes as an announcement underneath the "Welcome to the Medicine Forum" banner just smacks of taking the piss a bit. Because it looks a lot like it's recommended, which could probably convince some applicants coming to the site to go on it, and it also works to undo all of the good wok Hygeia's done for the site.
    totally agree!

ReputationRep:
    I would agree too! There are plenty of people who come on here who are really young and clueless who may get completely duped (or their parents might) if they think it's something that's being endorsed by the site. Maybe we should petition TSR or something!

ReputationRep:
    I can't see it :s: (can anyone post a screenshot for me?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    I can't see it :s: (can anyone post a screenshot for me?)
    Hmmm, it isn't on there now for me either. But then the announcements bar always seems to be weird and have things disappearing and appearing on it...

If you go onto another subject area (such as law) there seems to be a similar announcement. However if you refresh the page it disappears. So maybe it only appears one time per visit? In which case that's exceptionally sneaky, as regular users won't notice it and get annoyed but first time users will see it.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, it isn't on there now for me either. But then the announcements bar always seems to be weird and have things disappearing and appearing on it...

If you go onto another subject area (such as law) there seems to be a similar announcement. However if you refresh the page it disappears. So maybe it only appears one time per visit? In which case that's exceptionally sneaky, as regular users won't notice it and get annoyed but first time users will see it.
    Weird :s: (I probably won't be able to see it as I have adblock plus (and a sub so no ads anyway) I'll have a hunt around with one of my dupes tomorrow and see if I can find it anywhere :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    Weird :s: (I probably won't be able to see it as I have adblock plus (and a sub so no ads anyway) I'll have a hunt around with one of my dupes tomorrow and see if I can find it anywhere :p:
    I dunno if it would count as an advert though given that it just looks like an announcement.

ReputationRep:
    Workers of Britain unite to crush this horrid capitalism. I think as long as it is reasonably obvious it is an advert and truthful, let companies advertise. I agree though, from what a friend said, medlink was dire.

ReputationRep:

Agreed!
    This forum has been brilliant (I am really an old member with a new catchy username instead of the pompous old one :p: )

Seen me through GCSEs and now I have an offer from nottingham! I learned very quickly what to go for and what not to; much much more than my damn useless school uni admissions department.

While others wasted their time with masterclasses, I was doing work experience placements after placements, taking what ever I could get and strengthening my application.

Lets fight this capitalistic greed. However, saying that, this is perhaps the best market for online ads from the company and without a substantial argument (most are banned only in extenuating circumstances such as viruses, of which there was a case earlier in the week) I dont think it will be removed.

I use adblock in firefox so cant see the advert but still despise the idea and action.

ReputationRep:
    hear hear

ReputationRep:
    'ear 'ear, maccas.

ReputationRep:
    tbh, you'd need to be a bit on the dumb side to part cash for any kind of unconcilliated course. granted theres a lot of dumb poshies ready to throw money around on any med school site, but that doesnt mean we should veto this kind of market.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gizmo!)
    tbh, you'd need to be a bit on the dumb side to part cash for any kind of unconcilliated course. granted theres a lot of dumb poshies ready to throw money around on any med school site, but that doesnt mean we should veto this kind of market.
    Issues with class, much? Because obviously all these 'poshies' choose to be born into a certain families and demographics and then choose to grow up around a certain type of elocution leading to a certain accent and way of speaking:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Single Malt)
    Issues with class, much? Because obviously all these 'poshies' choose to be born into a certain families and demographics and then choose to grow up around a certain type of elocution leading to a certain accent and way of speaking:rolleyes:
    I think you missed the point completely.

Better luck next time old chap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    I think you missed the point completely.

Better luck next time old chap.
    I dont think I did,

on a side note, nice computer (except thermaltake cases are teh ugliest)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Single Malt)
    I dont think I did,

on a side note, nice computer (except thermaltake cases are teh ugliest)
    He was moaning that upper middle classes try to "pay" their kid into med. Paying for courses, special lectures when none of it is really neccessary. It's only "poshies" that would do it because they're the only ones stupid enough to go for these courses. Any sort of research into them shows they're pretty much shunned by the applicant community.

Thanks for the compliment for my (now ageing) rig. When I bought the case it it was the only thing around where I could mount a 2x120 rad internally. It doesn't bother me too much, I'm actualy a semi-fan of the front sheild things.
    Although, the secondary mounting position for drives was kind of wasted when I put my HDD in a quietdrive.
    I wanted to try to internally mount a 3x120mm rad, but I'd have to sacrifice something. I would have 1-2 drive bays left, and I use a fan controller (sunbeam rhobus), the quiet drive, 1xDVDRW and the on/off panel. Which means I was 1-2 over.
    Kind of sucks but my chip is limiting my overclock, not my temps. I can get it to 4.2 to bench, but I keep it at 4.0 for 24/7 stability.

EDIT: Just realised the specs are out of date, I've made minor upgrades. Better go change those.

ReputationRep:
    HeHe.... clever advertisers

ReputationRep:
    Because it looks a lot like it's recommended, which could probably convince some applicants coming to the site to go on it, and it also works to undo all of the good wok Hygeia's done for the site.
    That's an assumption and a half.

ReputationRep:
    What's wrong with it? They're just out to make money, and they're not gonna stick it in the Economics thread are they?

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I don't agree with those courses, and if asked I will dissuade people from going on them, Caveat Emptor. TSR is a business, and as such it has the right to show advertising. We are not the moral police of the world. Given how many times it has been said, anyone still paying for those courses has no inititive and more money than sense anyway.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.