If that's Hygeia I'm taking up rape :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cavatina)
    LOL! Oh dear, someone always takes it that one step too far .. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Everythings cool, then you say something really really offensively stupid:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Single Malt)
    Everythings cool, then you say something really really offensively stupid:mad:
    I love the idea that you see mentioning stalking as something cool, but rape crosses the line by being stupid.

Either don't make jokes at all, or don't try and limit what areas can be used for humour. Every joke conceivable can probably be construed as offensive to somebody, somewhere. I hate it when people say things like "Oh, I find that joke funny but then you shouldn't go and joke about cancer because my mum had it and that's not funny". You're basically stifling freedom of speech, and acting like a prudish prick at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    I love the idea that you see mentioning stalking as something cool, but rape crosses the line by being stupid.

Either don't make jokes at all, or don't try and limit what areas can be used for humour. Every joke conceivable can probably be construed as offensive to somebody, somewhere. I hate it when people say things like "Oh, I find that joke funny but then you shouldn't go and joke about cancer because my mum had it and that's not funny". You're basically stifling freedom of speech, and acting like a prudish prick at the same time.
    Dissaproving of rape jokes makes me a 'prudish prick':rolleyes:. Furthermore are you attempting to stifle my freedom of speech to criticize his joke? Pot,kettle,black springs to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Dissaproving of rape jokes makes me a 'prudish prick':rolleyes:. Furthermore are you attempting to stifle my freedom of speech to criticize his joke? Pot,kettle,black springs to mind.
    If you seriously want to try and descend things into a convoluted pedantic debate along the lines of don't-impinge-on-my-right-to-try-and-impinge-on-others'-rights things will get very complicated very quickly.

The point still remains that it is pathetic of you to criticise an individual for cracking a joke when just a few posts earlier you were making a joke that a stalking victim could easily have found "really really offensively stupid".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    If you seriously want to try and descend things into a convoluted pedantic debate along the lines of don't-impinge-on-my-right-to-try-and-impinge-on-others'-rights things will get very complicated very quickly.

The point still remains that it is pathetic of you to criticise an individual for cracking a joke when just a few posts earlier you were making a joke that a stalking victim could easily have found "really really offensively stupid".
    I disagree, I guess we all draw the line somewhere, mine comes somewhere slightly south of 'internet stalking'.

ReputationRep:
    If thats Hygeia then I am taking up internet stalking
    (Original post by lekky)
    If that's Hygeia I'm taking up real life stalking
    If that's Hygeia I'm taking up rape
    Sorry guys, I'm not blonde so that can't be me :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.