Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's totally bizarre. I'm going to call my friend Jim.

A couple weeks ago we all had a party at some restaurant. We all got a bit drunk. Now, another one of my friends (let's call him Tom), actually flirted outrageously and ended up asking this girl out that my friend Jim liked. But in all honestly, the whole sixth form knew that Jim liked this girl and I think the girl knew as well. And she wasn’t interested. She is interested in Tom. And they are together now. It's a bit mean of Tom to do that to a mate, but I suppose it's fair.

Anyway, Jim didn't find out about this until during the party. Obviously he's an idiot and dealt with it by getting drunk. Towards the end of the night he wondered off by himself out the restaurant and was randomly walking around town centre drunk at night time, when it was freezing, all by himself. He must have been gone for about 15-20 minutes. Me and another friend found out about this and called him and got him to come back. I gave Jim a lift home.

When he was out he just said he was "thinking". Then he rambled loudly to me and my friend about how he's always thinking about life and the meaning of stuff. I think he actually meant it but wouldn't admit to that kind of stuff if he wasn't drunk.

During the lift home he said "you know, I wouldn't be here without you guys". I ask what he's on about and he admits he's thought about killing himself.

A few days later me and a few friends confront him about it. We, being guys, aren't good at that kind of conversation. Not a lot was achieved. Jim was awkward and avoided the conversation completely. Since then we've each tried talking to him about it individually and failed.
    Thing is, since then, he always mentions how he's "thinking" and stuff to us then never elaborates at all. On the bus ride home today with me he just said a lot of "oh man...." and talked about how he thinks a lot, but ne never explains himself. So, what the hell?

Is he doing it for attention? Or does he want to tell somebody but doesn't know how? He's quite poor, works constantly, and his love life is in a mess but if that's all he's upset about it's a total overreaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's totally bizarre. I'm going to call my friend Jim.

A couple weeks ago we all had a party at some restaurant. We all got a bit drunk. Now, another one of my friends (let's call him Tom), actually flirted outrageously and ended up asking this girl out that my friend Jim liked. But in all honestly, the whole sixth form knew that Jim liked this girl and I think the girl knew as well. And she wasn’t interested. She is interested in Tom. And they are together now. It's a bit mean of Tom to do that to a mate, but I suppose it's fair.

Anyway, Jim didn't find out about this until during the party. Obviously he's an idiot and dealt with it by getting drunk. Towards the end of the night he wondered off by himself out the restaurant and was randomly walking around town centre drunk at night time, when it was freezing, all by himself. He must have been gone for about 15-20 minutes. Me and another friend found out about this and called him and got him to come back. I gave Jim a lift home.

When he was out he just said he was "thinking". Then he rambled loudly to me and my friend about how he's always thinking about life and the meaning of stuff. I think he actually meant it but wouldn't admit to that kind of stuff if he wasn't drunk.

During the lift home he said "you know, I wouldn't be here without you guys". I ask what he's on about and he admits he's thought about killing himself.

A few days later me and a few friends confront him about it. We, being guys, aren't good at that kind of conversation. Not a lot was achieved. Jim was awkward and avoided the conversation completely. Since then we've each tried talking to him about it individually and failed.
    Thing is, since then, he always mentions how he's "thinking" and stuff to us then never elaborates at all. On the bus ride home today with me he just said a lot of "oh man...." and talked about how he thinks a lot, but ne never explains himself. So, what the hell?

Is he doing it for attention? Or does he want to tell somebody but doesn't know how? He's quite poor, works constantly, and his love life is in a mess but if that's all he's upset about it's a total overreaction.
    Teenage problems are the worst problems as they say...

Tell him to forget about his own pathetic lil life and be grateful he's alive!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The problem is that unless you're feeling the same way as your friend, it will always seem like an overreaction to you. It's difficult to understand the mentality of someone in such a different mindset and position, as if he's considering suicide he's obviously not in the most mentally healthy state. So no - don't write it off as an overreaction.

If you find it difficult to talk face to face, perhaps email or text him asking him to explain his comments. Or get him drunk again - it did seem to make him able to talk more freely.

ReputationRep:
    You friend is sad and wallowing in self-pity. Cheer him up and/or slap him hard. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Just be around, be a good friend and don't push him to talk about difficult topics. He'll tell you in his own good time, if and when he's ready.

ReputationRep:
    He could be depressed. Just a suggestion.

He's probably trying to talk to you about it but doesn't know how to word it, or how to explain it. You clearly aren't the best person to listen to him since you think he's being a bit overdramatic.

ReputationRep:
    He might be depressed.

He might have actually like the girl Tom started dating and be heartbroken.

Or he may be wallowing in self-pity.

Play it safe and be a good friend to him because he might need you.

So basically, do nothing new?

By the way, I havn't told him it's an overreaction obviously!
    But it is an overreaction to talk to his mates about suicide if the only problem is some girl he liked. Obviously, if there's something bigger then fine.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.