Turn on thread page Beta

IBD or A Levels watch

ReputationRep:
    Yeah so the college im looking at is offering both A levels and the international B... (not going to attempt to spell:p: ), and im pretty much leaning towards the IB atm; I just wanted to know which would be better for Oxbridge or other top unis?

Apparently, 4 people who took the IB got offers from oxbridge, but none from A levels did - a coincidence to some extent im sure.

Yeah so please help meeeeeee (:

ReputationRep:
    A Levels are easier (so I've heard, I haven't done the IB to compare) and you can still get into uni with them. It's probably easier to meet the offer if you one from a top uni and are doing A Levels.

ReputationRep:
    IB IB IB for the win :yes:
    honestly, it makes you a much better, much more rounded person...
    if i'd done a levels id have gone down the 2 science, maths route...
    now im doing english, latin and philosophy as well as that...
    and a term and a bit in, i feel so much better already
    also, its less exam geared, at least the first year, so you can enjoy education for the sake of it, not to get some grades..
    and yes, the majority of my IB friends are applying for Oxbridge next year, and I've heard that they look upon it favourably :cool:

ReputationRep:
    It depends, if you know what you want to do, I would argue A levels are better (you can focus on just sciences for example). For more general and well rounded studies, I would go with the IB due to it being less focused. In terms of content, A level and IB courses are similar (I've done the IB and am currently doing an A level in a year, as well as some AS levels), however, with the IB there are more subjects, as well as the EE + CAS. I'd say that doing the IB is probably equivalent to doing 5 A levels + 1 AS level, spread over 2 years (IE, 1/2 of that AS level each year) in terms of difficulty and time.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.