Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i'm probably only going to get the same response as what i got when i asked this with my 206 but meh.

i have a 53 plated renault megane, which has the factory fitted radio and a cd changer. i would like to hook up my ipod to play via the in car speakers.

1. has anyone ever tried one of the FM transmitters that you can get, ie; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

2. and if they are no good, does anyone know of another way to actually wire the thing into the back of the head unit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    i'm probably only going to get the same response as what i got when i asked this with my 206 but meh.

i have a 53 plated renault megane, which has the factory fitted radio and a cd changer. i would like to hook up my ipod to play via the in car speakers.

1. has anyone ever tried one of the FM transmitters that you can get, ie; http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

2. and if they are no good, does anyone know of another way to actually wire the thing into the back of the head unit?
    I have tried option one with my phone, It works quite well.

fm transmitters are alright but not a patch on hard wiring. would be loads easier to get an ipod compatible head unit

ReputationRep:
    Some phones (like the Nokia N85) have FM transmitters built in, and mine works really well in my car, so I don't see any reason why this one wouldn't.

Not sure about wirning anything into the back of the radio. It would probably be easier to remove the Renault radio and replace it with an iPod compatible one. You can pick up ipod compatible head units for under £60 now. You could always put the factory Renault unit back in if you even needed to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)

FM transmitters struggle to compete in places like London with all the pirate stations floating around, and quality isn't brilliant :naughty:

You could try hard-wiring it yourself with an RCA-3.5mm cable (http://maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?moduleno=220194) and a drill; but if you don't fancy drilling into your dash, you could just buy a head unit with a 3.5mm line in or a USB connection. They're about £80-90 from Halfords at the moment...

ReputationRep:
    i'd prefer to keep the original unit in, because i have a cd changer in the glovebox (although it's only for 4 cds) .. i had a look in the back of the headunit, and with the stalk and the cd changer, it has no holes left in which to plug things in lol. i might try one of those radio transmitters. i don't live in london, and rarely venture into birmingham city centre so hopefully it will work.

thanks guys. x

ReputationRep:
    I've thought about this too, my old car had a different head unit with an aux socket, but this one doesn't. I don't really want to swap it either due to the CD changer, and the original head unit matches the rest of the dashboard.

The other alternative (if you have one) is a cassette adapter, obviously again I doubt the quality will be amazing, but they only cost a few quid online, so might be worth a go.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.