Turn on thread page Beta

Accepting a grad offer and then rejecting it watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How bad is it to accept and sign a graduate job offer and then a month or two later reject it as you received a better offer at another bank or a better offer in a slightly different area (ie auditing or broking) as you would prefer to do that? Would be interested to hear your views / experiences that you have heard about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomcorke)
    How bad is it to accept and sign a graduate job offer and then a month or two later reject it as you received a better offer at another bank or a better offer in a slightly different area (ie auditing or broking) as you would prefer to do that? Would be interested to hear your views / experiences that you have heard about it.
    Don't expect grad recruitment to give you the time of day...

ReputationRep:
    If you have to do it, be curt, polite and don't tell them where you are going.

ReputationRep:
    Depends for me. Uthinkilltellu's advice is pretty spot on though.

If in two completely different areas - i.e. Trading at a BB and Audit at Big4, you choose the career path you actually want and may have to burn a bridge.

I wouldn't do it to two companies in the same field at a similar level (i.e. any of the BBs).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    If you have to do it, be curt, polite and don't tell them where you are going.
    State 'personal reasons', it's vague and they probably won't ask too many questions. I did this myself a couple of years ago with Deloitte and it worked fine.

ReputationRep:
    My friend accepted an offer with a BB and then rejected it in favour of another BB, they were in different countries and it was an experienced hire job, but nothing happened, it was no big deal. That been said, you should only do it if you realy have to.

ReputationRep:
    what if u accept an offer in jan, and then in may tell them u cant do it, maybe even lie u have to go to a diff country etc..? any thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    I am interested in this question as well.

Are there legal consequences on you about it? I suspect that u will have to give back any bonuses but apart from that i guess they will be OK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondeamon)
    I am interested in this question as well.

Are there legal consequences on you about it? I suspect that u will have to give back any bonuses but apart from that i guess they will be OK.
    Well you would definitely need to give back the golden handshake bonus, but usually you would not get paid until you start working.

Some contracts say 1 month notice period once you work, while some banks with probationary period it is 1 week. I would say that if you are polite and you held offer in Big4 and IB but want to go to IB then giving sufficient notice period with polite e-mail/call should do.

I still do not think withdrawing a contract in one IB for another IB offer is wise. But if it is another industry it should be ok.

ReputationRep:
    When u mention notice period what do you mean? That i have to inform them at least 1 month before the scheme starts? (or 1 month before i quit if i already work?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blondeamon)
    When u mention notice period what do you mean? That i have to inform them at least 1 month before the scheme starts? (or 1 month before i quit if i already work?)
    Since they do not say in a contract any specifics of withdrawing a contract, I would use the notice period when you would be working in the company as sort of way to be respectful way to withdraw the contract you have signed.

ReputationRep:
    By law, a signed contract is a binding agreement and the employer can ask you to work your period of notice. But in practice no one would do that, as far as I know.

I have done it myself and the company were fine with it: I gave quite serious personal reasons why I can't take the job.

ReputationRep:
    What about rejecting a large bank (where I would technically be entering the 'group' side of things, although I will be doing placements in the IB part) for a proper investment bank? The contract says they can cut me loose on 2 weeks notice - I presume I can do the same to them?

Obviously, Ill probably give them 6 months notice...If i get this IB offer.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.