Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Well i got an overuse injury on my left knee, making it swell and hurt for a few days after my last 2 matches.

So ive found out its because the cartilage under the knee is wearing/worn causing my knee to create friction (and pain). I found out it was called ... "Chondromalacia"
    So the steps given by the internet, and my doctor (I don't trust GPs but my physio referral is in about 2 weeks or something, then i can expect a long waiting list)

is rest and ice until the pain/swelling goes, and then work on strengthening and stretching the muscles around the knee. And swimming etc.

So recovering from a knee injury, im wary in what exercises i should be doing. I'm worried that squatting and deadlifting will aggravate the knee.
    Anyone know what sort of exercises i could get on with while i slowly get back into the squat/deadlifting? I was thinking maybe straight leg deadlifts and such.

Anyone with knee injury experience, it would be good to hear what kind of rehabilitation you did. thanks!

ReputationRep:
    SLDLs, good mornings etc etc

ReputationRep:
    oh yeah, good idea with good mornings =D thanks

they are the two main ones to replace my squat/dl i think

ReputationRep:
    What my physio told me about strengthening my knee after injury was to build up the strength in my quads again - so things like the cross trainer and stationary bike. It seemed to work for me.

ReputationRep:
    i had the exact same injury a while back. plenty of swimming is brilliant. also put an ice pack on it for about half an hour and then massage it
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You don't trust a professional qualified individual yet you seek advice from an anonymous web forum full of people giving duff advice?

You have bigger issues than a knackered knee.

ReputationRep:
    1) What does your consultant say?

2) What does your physio say?

3) What do random people off of the interwebs say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    1) What does your consultant say?
    Well my mum told me to give up football if that helps you.

2) What does your physio say?
    see first post

3) What do random people off of the interwebs say?
    aint been to 4chan yet, but so far some the people i have asked with similar past injuries have given me some good things to think about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Metropolis)
    Well my mum told me to give up football if that helps you.

see first post

aint been to 4chan yet, but so far some the people i have asked with similar past injuries have given me some good things to think about.
    He meant your doctor.... :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I've had ligament damage in my knee from football before and the doctor told me the same thing... rest then strengthen the muscles... showed me a couple of exercises!

I didn't listen and played footie after 2-3 weeks and I'm paying for it now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wednesday Bass)
    He meant your doctor.... :facepalm:
    i know what he meant.

ReputationRep:
    Well i got an overuse injury on my left knee, making it swell and hurt for a few days after my last 2 matches.

So ive found out its because the cartilage under the knee is wearing/worn causing my knee to create friction (and pain). I found out it was called ... "Chondromalacia"
    So the steps given by the internet, and my doctor (I don't trust GPs but my physio referral is in about 2 weeks or something, then i can expect a long waiting list)

is rest and ice until the pain/swelling goes, and then work on strengthening and stretching the muscles around the knee. And swimming etc.

So recovering from a knee injury, im wary in what exercises i should be doing. I'm worried that squatting and deadlifting will aggravate the knee.
    Anyone know what sort of exercises i could get on with while i slowly get back into the squat/deadlifting? I was thinking maybe straight leg deadlifts and such.

Anyone with knee injury experience, it would be good to hear what kind of rehabilitation you did. thanks!

Mate you're not going to trust your doctor (which has probably had plenty of experience with injurys such as this) but trust some jocks on the internet to give you 'excercises' which'll probably do more damage than good?

For the time being, REST your knee until you see your physio- gentle stretching excercises are probably what is best until then, you need to give it time to heal, don't even THINK about doing straight leg deadlifts..or even squats!

ReputationRep:

Listen to your physio and your doc, thats the only advice you need, in fact you shouldnt even be looking for advice here :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    For the time being, REST your knee until you see your physio- gentle stretching excercises are probably what is best until then, you need to give it time to heal, don't even THINK about doing straight leg deadlifts..or even squats!
    i didn't mean now! rest and ice is all i'm doing

(Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Mate you're not going to trust your doctor (which has probably had plenty of experience with injurys such as this) but trust some jocks on the internet to give you 'excercises' which'll probably do more damage than good?
    All the doctors i have, have the attitude "if you can walk without pain then thats my job done". Returning to sports is none of their priority. I had to convince them to give me a physio referral by mentioning semi-pro clubs and whatnot otherwise rest and ibuprofen was all I had coming.

I've only had one decent physio in my time which was a work physio (John Lewis) who was an ex-football club physio.

NOW i'm not stupid, i dont listen to internet guys throwing out nonsense, i'm asking what sort of things people with similar problems have been told to do, how it helped, etc (EG people who still don't get it, people who may have had physiotherapy in the past, or higher level sportspeople with private advice)

lolstudentroom

p.s no offence

ReputationRep:
    All the doctors i have, have the attitude "if you can walk without pain then thats my job done". Returning to sports is none of their priority. I had to convince them to give me a physio referral by mentioning semi-pro clubs and whatnot otherwise rest and ibuprofen was all I had coming.
    With all due respect the vast majority of patients never ask for help and/or don't express their full wishes. It's their job to help - ask, and if they don't help you go to another.

I've only had one decent physio in my time which was a work physio (John Lewis) who was an ex-football club physio.
    Go by reputation not who's the first name in the yellow pages - yes you may have to pay to get the best service but at least see what the NHS has to offer.

NOW i'm not stupid, i dont listen to internet guys throwing out nonsense, i'm asking what sort of things people with similar problems have been told to do, how it helped, etc (EG people who still don't get it, people who may have had physiotherapy in the past, or higher level sportspeople with private advice)

lolstudentroom

p.s no offence
    The vast majority of people here don't have the experience or the expertise to help you and even then personally I'd consult my consultant/surgeon/doctor/physio/etc first and foremost.

ReputationRep:
    Take a look here - it's relatively new, but should have more comprehensive material up soon.

http://simplystrong.wordpress.com/

I know the guy from another forum. His word can be trusted. As others have said, listen to your physio or doctor above all else.

ReputationRep:
    Alright thanks for the replies. I did ask about private physio prices when i was at the doctors but they didn't really have a clue, i'm not really sure what prices to expect. Anyone have any ideas?

i'm expecting a 3-6 month layoff from any competitive games now =(

ReputationRep:
    Turns out the problem was a scrunched muscle in my back, causing my body to un-synchronise, and put pressure on my left side.
    Physio found the problem and fixed it, and said that one side has been over-compensating, and that the injury was caused from a weak left side.

Gave me some stretches, and then some strengthening exercises, and I had a quick recovery. I said what if my knee hurts again? He said it won't. (cartilage, ligaments, etc all fine). But said if it does, then I haven't strengthened my left quad enough.

Physio was excellent. The doctor knew NOTHING (about my case) and didn't want to refer me because i was able to walk.
    I'm posting the conclusion to this topic so anyone with a problem that asks for advice for physio/rehabilitation experiences knows not to listen to all the "hur hur listen to the GP" jackasses.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.