Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok here I go

Im a bengali muslim (lol dw im not gonna bite)

and yh i live in SE London. Commonly seen as the "posh white sector" by my mates in E London

Now Im proud of being muslim and bengali. Im proud of my culture and what i represent.
    But it seems in my "white sector" im surrounded by this really different vibe.
    Yet when I go to E London, the "asian sector" i feel that im in a community that understands my views

Any one else whom has this massive contrast from people in their "home area" ?

Dont get me wrong all my friends in SE are awesome.

But i feel that theres this constant boundary in terms of cultural and religious lifestyle...like sometimes they're from a different world to me and theres some thinks i cant do with them coz i dont agree

does anyone get what im saying, or encounter this?

what are your thoughts and opinion on your culture and community? do you feel its another form of segregation?

EDIT : I AM NOT AN IMMIGRANT XD Im 17 brit-born kid doing a levels here atm lol people seem to assume im some immigrant from pakistan

How exactly is a lack of understanding of your culture, a lack of culture on their part? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    you can't go to a country and demand them to follow your way of life or culture

maybe it's you who needs to get make an effort to get some understanding and respect for the white culture

ReputationRep:
    Well, it is bound to happen like that.
    Western culture & Asian culture are vastly different. However, since you are in London, it feels weird for you not to be able to share your cultural views with westerners. When they come to Asia, they will find it weird how the culture around them is so different to theirs.
    Of course I experience it; as an Indian you can't really talk about all the "Indian" stuff you did over holidays etc because noone would understand wtf you were talking about :p: however, I don't believe that this leads to segregation between cultures. It is good to have friends from a wide variety of backgrounds, and friends from your own culture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    Western culture & Asian culture are vastly different. However, since you are in London, it feels weird for you not to be able to share your cultural views with westerners. When they come to Asia, they will find it weird how the culture around them is so different to theirs.
    Of course I experience it; as an Indian you can't really talk about all the "Indian" stuff you did over holidays etc because noone would understand wtf you were talking about :p: however, I don't believe that this leads to segregation between cultures. It is good to have friends from a wide variety of backgrounds, and friends from your own culture.
    This, dude =) Fortunately, not everywhere is like brick lane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazamak)
    Ok everything Im about to say is not attmepting to be discriminatory in any way.

Im a bengali muslim

and yh i live in SE London. Commonly seen as the "posh white sector" by friends in E London

Now Im proud of being muslim and bengali. Im proud of my culture and what i represent.
    But it seems in my "white sector" im surrounded by this lack of understanding from others and get a lack of respect.
    Yet when I go to E London, the "asian sector" i feel that im in a community that understands my views

Any one else whom has this kinda lack of understanding in from people in their "home area" ?

But i feel that theres this constant boundary in terms of cultural and religious understanding...like sometimes they're from a different world to me and theres some thinks i cant do with them coz i dont agree

what are your thoughts and opinion on your culture and community? do you feel its another form of segregation?
    discuss.

(i want this to be an open/honest discussion, please dont feel any sense of discrimination )
    Then go to a muslim country...i wouldnt go live in pakistan and complain about a difference in culture..i'd deal with it:mad:

ReputationRep:
    This is not Bangladesh and I'm afraid you're going to have to learn to live with it. Despite being in their own country, why should they be obliged to learn about your culture? Yes there's a boundary, but you are only feeling segregated because you're not making any effort, so instead of blaming others, sort yourself out.
    And this is coming from a proud Asian.

(Original post by Troy McClure)
    Maybe you should watch one of my films.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    ^ that basically
    theyre not asian so they dont know everything about your culture just like you dont understand everything about theirs. Its the same everywhere. You just have to either be *very* patient and explain whatever youre talking about or just give up. Im for the latter tbh :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TI-84)
    wow that is a really good answerO_O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john87)
    you can't go to a country and demand them to follow your way of life or culture

maybe it's you who needs to get make an effort to get some understanding and respect for the white culture

You misunderstand what im saying

im not "converting" anyone. Im simply talking about understanding of different cultures

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you should get upset by it, its natural, your not going to understand something which your not used too,.. Ive never expected some of my friends to know about my culture, or completely understand it... but I liek it that way !!! Plus my friends like learning about my culture.. of course theres some things which I dont expect them to get ( bcause even I find them weird) but they are quite understanding and I never feel uncomfortable around them !!!

Plus its good to get away from all the asian stuff , once in a while.... it drives me mad sometimes!!! :P:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mazda12)
    I dont think you should get upset by it, its natural, your not going to understand something which your not used too,.. Ive never expected some of my friends to know about my culture, or completely understand it... but I liek it that way !!! Plus my friends like learning about my culture.. of course theres some things which I dont expect them to get ( bcause even I find them weird) but they are quite understanding and I never feel uncomfortable around them !!!

Plus its good to get away from all the asian stuff , once in a while.... it drives me mad sometimes!!! :P:

lol agreed too..just i barely get it

ReputationRep:
    if you're happy with people of you're own culture, how do you know/how can you be sure that it's not just you, unable to understand a secular/atheist/agnostic point of view?
    You could be right, but without more detail and a huge knowledge of you in your life context it's hard to tell.
    In your heart of hearts who would you prefer the rest of the world to be?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, when i cruise through the asian majority area i was brought up in i feel at home even though it's a shiethole and full of fresh of the boat geezas.

ReputationRep:
    south east london is posh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CKin2U)
    This, dude =) Fortunately, not everywhere is like brick lane
    You dissin ma bredrinz at Brick Lane

ReputationRep:
    I think it's you that doesn't understand the culture of your "home area" and that's why you feel excluded.

But I understand what you mean. I'm half British half Hispanic, and no one in my Hispanic family understands British culture, so I feel like a bit of an outcast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zazamak)
    Ok everything Im about to say is not attmepting to be discriminatory in any way.

Im a bengali muslim

and yh i live in SE London. Commonly seen as the "posh white sector" by friends in E London

But it seems in my "white sector" im surrounded by this lack of understanding from others and get a lack of respect.

Any one else whom has this kinda lack of understanding in from people in their "home area" ?

But i feel that theres this constant boundary in terms of cultural and religious understanding...like sometimes they're from a different world to me and theres some thinks i cant do with them coz i dont agree

discuss.

(i want this to be an open/honest discussion, please dont feel any sense of discrimination )

MAN UP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sk007_644)
    You dissin ma bredrinz at Brick Lane

Noooooooooo =)

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.