Turn on thread page Beta

CV advice please! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I've written my CV but I'm not sure about how to avoid the GCSE equivalent part (I'm not from the UK but want to move there). I don't have this qualification, but I'm getting languages diplomas in the next months and I want to study with the Open University in the next year to get a degree. I've completely skipped the GCSE, do you think it's ok? I'm 17 by the way and I'll be 18 by the time the job will start. Is it right to write my birthdate at the end of the CV?
    Thank you very much in advance for your help!
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    If you don't have anything that is the equivalent of GCSEs, then don't worry about it.

You should not write your date of birth on your CV. If the job requires you to be over 18 (serving alcohol etc) then put it in the last paragraph of the covering letter.

If you want to put your CV up in the CV Help section you can start your own thread and we can look at the whole thing.

ReputationRep:
    I'd put your birth date at the start with your other personal details (e.g. phone numbers, email address, etc). I think you should just list the qualifications you have got or the ones that are pending. You can always explain them further if asked.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I'll just say again, you should not put your date of birth in a CV. You should not put any information in a CV which an employer cannot use to make a decision on your application. So that is all information of a personal nature such as age, date of birth, faith, marital status, health status, basically anything that would come under discrimination legislation if it were used to decide your case.

The point of this is to protect not only you (from possible discrimination), but also to protect the employer (from claims of discrimination). If the employer has an exception from discrimination laws, ie you have to be over 18 to work or you have to be shomer shabbat etc then the job advert will say so. The normal convention then is to confirm such mandatory elements in the final paragraph of the covering letter.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.