Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Today I got a call from Vodafone telling me that if I take out a contract with them, I'll get the first 4 months free (until my current contract with orange runs out) anyway I opted to do this.

Anyway the phone was meant to be being delivered tomorrow but shortly after I received a text saying the phone was delayed and they would text me shortly to say when it's being delivered.

I dunno whether I'm just being paranoid but I kinda feel uneasy about the whole situation. There was a heck of a lot of noise in the background on the phone and when I rang back the number to confirm I wanted to go ahead instead of forwarding the call the guy just called the guy I spoke to over to the phone. Also, although the person took my sort code and account number, they didn't seem to take much more info from me.

Tried to ring them back but the department I need to speak to at vodafone is now closed.

Would be grateful for your thoughts on this!

Thanks

And sorry for the long post!

ReputationRep:
    Just give it a few more days, and maybe try ringing back tomorrow.
    Don't panic too much just yet
    Keep optimistic!

ReputationRep:
    hmmm sounds a bit dodgy to me

ReputationRep:
    Dude never give ur bank details over the phone! Even if its just the sort code n acc number. My friend booked a flat in London for the weekend, he just gave his sort code, acc no, n name n the scamster took 250 off his account n there was escaped!

Do one thing, transfer the money in ur account to a flex saver (if u have one) and keep like 20-25 quid for a few days. Just to check if the vodafone dude actually sends the phone or nicks the 25 off ur account...

Sounds dodgy to me... Hmmmm :P

ReputationRep:
    Same happened to me but it was an insurance company. Said I could pay in 3 months etc, took my details (I was on my way to hand work in, I wasn't thinking), felt a bit funny afterwards and knew id done the wrong thing, went to carphone warehouse and they confirmed it was a scam so I shut my account down before they got everything!

ReputationRep:
    Possibly. I've heard that's what you need to have to put on a withdrawel slip, but apparently banks are supposed to ID you first. However, as far as I knew you could only set up a direct debit etc. If it's possible, contact your bank or check your account online and see if there's anything they can do. Sorry I couldn't be much help, good luck :/.

ReputationRep:
    Ok I've taken all the money out of my account except for £20.00.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

In the text message saying the phone had been delayed, the number given was a genuine vodafone one though..checked on the website. Also, they wouldnt agree to giving me the phone I actually wanted, if it was a scam they probs would have agreed to this wouldn't they??

ReputationRep:
    Vodafone often ring you up and do such things: they did it to me and I wasn't very trusting but in the end they kept to their word.

I wouldn't worry just yet.

ReputationRep:
    If its a genuine phone number then dont worry.

ReputationRep:
    It probably wasn't a scam, but ring back in the morning.

Also you probably will have to pay the first four months and they'll credit you later.

ReputationRep:
    You always need to verify THEIR identity if they call you!!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's a scam, but like smithy said, make sure you yourself verify their identity first before you make any kind of bank transactions over the phone.

ReputationRep:
    4 months free but whats the tariff after that, how long is the contract.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry vodaphone quite often phone people when they see their contract is running out/obselete. My mum kept getting phonecalls as soon as her phone plan went obselete because they know you'll be looking for a new plan soon and they've somehow got your details from your current phone company in order to find this out.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys - feel more at ease now!

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't surprise me if its Vodafone being rubbish tbh :o:

ReputationRep:
    not sure on this one??

Never talk to "your" phone company when they call you, it's usually not them. Ever get a call saying "we've noticed your contract is coming to an end" when there's 6+ months left on it? Basically they're fishing... because sometimes you will be near the end of your contract and it'll all seem above board.

Insist on calling them back via their official number before you agree to anything or give any details.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhumbauze)
    Never talk to "your" phone company when they call you, it's usually not them. Ever get a call saying "we've noticed your contract is coming to an end" when there's 6+ months left on it? Basically they're fishing... because sometimes you will be near the end of your contract and it'll all seem above board.

Insist on calling them back via their official number before you agree to anything or give any details.
    Too late :/

(Original post by amie05)
    Too late :/
    It was more for the future / other people...

Has anything been taken from your account yet? If not, contact your bank and let them know, hopefully they'll be able to block any suspicious charges coming out of your account.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.