Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey Guys

I was just wondering if you need to have studied Further Maths for A levels to be able to do a Maths Degree.:confused:
    I actually want to study Medicine and I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, Maths and German as A-Levels. But as a Back up ( since Med. is so popular) I was thinking of doing a Maths degree. Universities like UCL etc say that you do need to have Further Maths,or so i heared is that true?

Thanx

ReputationRep:
    I think the top unis would prefer it if you had further maths, but i'm sureplaces will accept you with just maths.. but maybe you could take up further maths AS level next year, if you decide to drop one of your current subjects after AS?

ReputationRep:
    yeah sure u can but it depends on which uni u wanna go. if u r a high flyer n definitely wanna do maths than FM will b gr8 adavntage 2 u wen u go 2 uni. if u wanna do medicines than u shouldnt b worried about FM at all.......
    hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    you can do it without further maths as i have a mate who is doing , it just limits your uni choices

ReputationRep:
    Well of course the answer is no. Plenty of people go to good universities and get first class degrees go on to PhDs etc without A-level FM. It does make it easier in the first year for two reasons 1) you find the ordinary A-level algebra and calculus much easier having used it for more advanced stuff in FM 2) familiarity, even a little familiarity with complex numbers and matrices means these dont come as a shock.

Actually FM is more important for non-maths students. If you take medicine seriously you need to understand statistics. Otherwise it is just voodoo. If you study engineering you need complex numbers and matrices. But in these degrees you feel you are learning the maths as an extra so doing FM gives you a headstart. Maths students will learn everything in FM as part of their core curriculum.

But that said actually doing the FM exams is not the only way to get this advantage. You could just read the books and do the exercises for your own benefit.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx guys
    you really did help me a lot:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Well some of the really crap universities only require a B in A Level Maths (no need for Further Maths). Shows how absolutely awful those universities are.

But you simply won't get a place at any top university without Further Maths A Level (if you're offered it as an A Level subject at your school/college). And trust me, you WANT to be aiming for the top.

ReputationRep:
    Unis like Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL require Maths and Physics, and recommend Further Maths. You are better off doing Further Maths because you have minimal chance of entering a top university without it. Also, as I've heard, doing Further Maths will help you cope with the university work later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cie6868)
    Unis like Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL require Maths and Physics, and recommend Further Maths. You are better off doing Further Maths because you have minimal chance of entering a top university without it. Also, as I've heard, doing Further Maths will help you cope with the university work later on.
    Oxford don't require Phyics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebadgeroverlord)
    Oxford don't require Phyics.
    You're right. Sorry I was mistaken.

Also, Cambridge and Warwick require the STEP exams to be done as well. Those are papers which are set in a different style to AL maths, and are a bit tougher. So you MAY have to do Further Maths to cope with the STEP papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cie6868)
    You're right. Sorry I was mistaken.

Also, Cambridge and Warwick require the STEP exams to be done as well. Those are papers which are set in a different style to AL maths, and are a bit tougher. So you MAY have to do Further Maths to cope with the STEP papers.
    You do different STEP papers if you have done further maths than if you've only done maths. The papers you are given for normal maths can be done without any extra learning.

Maths = STEP 1 & 2
    FM = STEP 2 & 3

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.