Turn on thread page Beta

Was/Is there anyone at your college 21 and older? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi there

So I am currently 23 but I need to go to college in the next year or so to do a full set of Alevels before I apply to medical school. Was there anyone in your classes that was above 16 at all?

And if not, would you go and do alevels with a group of people that are only 16 and your 25. Its not a problem in hindsight because when I go to medical school my classmates would be 18. I just wanted to know what your opinions are, or would you do an access course? I have my reservations about doing an access, and would rather have the Alevels under my belt.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I know of atleast 5 people in my college who are over 21, it really isn't an issue.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 20 (almost 21) doing A Levels, I personally haven't met anyone over 16-17 here, but it's still not a problem. Just get used to hearing "OMG I managed to use my fake ID to get into a club last night" :p:

ReputationRep:
    aye, more than one in the classes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkS2)
    I'm 20 (almost 21) doing A Levels, I personally haven't met anyone over 16-17 here, but it's still not a problem. Just get used to hearing "OMG I managed to use my fake ID to get into a club last night" :p:
    This cracked me up!

ReputationRep:
    do you realise it will cost about £4000.
    you could do them online in a year for less money.

ReputationRep:
    No it will only cost me £20 as I am on benefits. I am a mummy to be, my baby is due in 10 weeks. I am hoping to do them at Hammersmith & West Ealing college, they seem happy to have me. :o:

ReputationRep:
    All my maths GCSE class is between the ages of 20-65

My foundation diploma it's between 18 and 35 so it's not a problem. Plus you tend to have better conversations.

I prefer the benefit of college to doing it online or from home. Face to Face Tuition plus I get my own work space and proper classes and the benefits of college library and seeing my teachers on a daily basis as opposed to just communication through email which I did for my English A Level and didn't like it much.

I pay £250 for my GCSE and £1400 for my diploma. Plus unis tend to like for some reason on mature students who do foundation or access and take them into equal consideration. So I wouldn't worry about that.

ReputationRep:
    When I was at college, there were about 50% of people in my classes who were over 21. There were quite a lot of mature students who were 30+ who had gone back to school and some had only just completed GCSEs at the college. I would have thought it's pretty similar at most colleges, as most 16/17 year olds stay in 6th form these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarkS2)
    I'm pretty much the same age as you and had similar experiences

to be honest I've made a good group of friends, some of whom are my age, some of whome are 3 years younger. Yes the younger ones can be very immature at times, but isn't everyone at 17/18? As long as you can get passed the immature thing (I've learnt to block it out) you'll be fine.

Oh and there was a 60+ year old guy doing AS physics last year! It will be hard I'd have thought but remember you're there for a reason so just concentrate on the work I guess!

ReputationRep:
    Your colleges are strange. Or just not very good. Nobody is over 18 in my college. I guess colleges which aren't as good would be more ready to accept older students but my college is heavily oversubscribed as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scrubby)
    Your colleges are strange. Or just not very good. Nobody is over 18 in my college. I guess colleges which aren't as good would be more ready to accept older students but my college is heavily oversubscribed as it is.
    I'd have thought that people paying to be there wouldn't apply to the "not very good" ones.

ReputationRep:
    haha what? Colleges want more older students because they pay more! Also if you're paying you're more likely to work harder and generally those that are older have a better work ethic. I find it strange you don't have anyone over 18, most of them do, even if just attending evening classes.

ReputationRep:
    I have never heard so much rubbish in my life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cake-a-Doodle)
    I have never heard so much rubbish in my life!
    Well said!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't have anyone over 18, except for a 19year old retaking y13... but then I went to a high school sixth form. I don't your age will be a huge factor, so long as your not bothered with the majority being a lot more immature than you!

And don't assume everyone at first year medical school is 18, loads in my year are 21ish cause theyve done a degree already and some are late twenties, so you wont be the only one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    haha what? Colleges want more older students because they pay more! Also if you're paying you're more likely to work harder and generally those that are older have a better work ethic. I find it strange you don't have anyone over 18, most of them do, even if just attending evening classes.
    Colleges that pick students because they pay the money are pathetic. My college is a small state college and is there to educate us not to make a quick buck.

The only places I know who teach mature students are colleges like City and Islington who are a far bigger college and have a separate department for this.

My college isn't that big nor is it trying to make money, it's simply here to educate. So it doesn't seem strange at all to me that they decide to focus on those who need education the most rather than stretching their resources to make some money on the side at our expense.

I find it strange that there are colleges that take on both students of the appropriate age and mature students. They should take one or the other.

ReputationRep:
    Presumably (hopefully) the teachers will be over 21

ReputationRep:
    Yes I know of one person.

ReputationRep:
    Colleges that pick students because they pay the money are pathetic. My college is a small state college and is there to educate us not to make a quick buck.

The only places I know who teach mature students are colleges like City and Islington who are a far bigger college and have a separate department for this.

My college isn't that big nor is it trying to make money, it's simply here to educate. So it doesn't seem strange at all to me that they decide to focus on those who need education the most rather than stretching their resources to make some money on the side at our expense.

I find it strange that there are colleges that take on both students of the appropriate age and mature students. They should take one or the other.
    Congratulations! This is this most full of ******** post I've read all week

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.