Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Salters (legecy) Chemistry By Design (2854) Revision Thread watch

To support each other in this ***** of a paper :yep:

Come join, vent about revision, ask questions, test each other etc....

WE CAN DO THIS!

(Original post by Fatal_Microbes)
    I got a C too, yeah a new thread for the oldies =P
    But my first choice gave me a conditional A?! :rant:
    Materials went good I think, sadly thats where my revision time went.

I have a feeling though they may recycle some questions from old exams if materials is anything to go by.
    Quote you into the thread :awesome:

At least some of the stuff thats in materials is in design as well and yea I hope they do recycle some questions

Whats your 1st choice and what for?

How are you going to revise for this exam btw?

ReputationRep:
    Wow thats pretty nifty, didn't know you could cross quote =)
    It certainly does make revision easier if they do lol.
    Warwick: Microbio/virology

As for revising, possibly with great difficulty
    practically learning the revision guide, the general idea of the techniques methods etc. Try and use it to answer an exam paper, realise how useless the revision guide is and learn the answer the examiners actually want.

At the end of the day, Its not how good you are at chemistry it's can you tell the examiner what they want to hear, which tbh sucks.

Yea, what I've noticed with this paper is that the correct answers can differ with exam papers. Especially properties of ions and that. And the wording for some of the answers are far too specific

I don't have the revision guide. I have just been using CI and markschemes to revise from

Thats why its an A, its Warwick Also cross quoting = copy and paste :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry By Design? I'm not familiar with that.

Sorry, I forgot its salters. I'll chnge the title :blush:

ReputationRep:
    I guess they look badly at resitters. But BBB is 'typical' but oh well.

I find CI a pain to use, I need things on as few piece of paper as possible, and while it no doubt contains what I need theres just so much searching through topics trying to find it as it doesn't go chronologically. But I will look up certain parts to double check the revision guide isn't wrong lol.

But past papers and markschemes are definitely the way forward

Failing that, make up your own questions! its a great way to apply the knowledge in a different context and really helps reinforce the idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Yea, what I've noticed with this paper is that the correct answers can differ with exam papers. Especially properties of ions and that. And the wording for some of the answers are far too specific:
    Thats so true and it really annoys me!

I revised everything in December tried to start it again today and i have forgotten everything! Gonna be an all nighter for me >.<".

I guess they look badly at resitters. But BBB is 'typical' but oh well.

I find CI a pain to use, I need things on as few piece of paper as possible, and while it no doubt contains what I need theres just so much searching through topics trying to find it as it doesn't go chronologically. But I will look up certain parts to double check the revision guide isn't wrong lol.

But past papers and markschemes are definitely the way forward

Failing that, make up your own questions! its a great way to apply the knowledge in a different context and really helps reinforce the idea.
    Yea thats a good idea I might try that.

Warwick do seem like the sort of uni that don;t like retakers all that much tbh.
    (Original post by l.learner)
    Thats so true and it really annoys me!

I revised everything in December tried to start it again today and i have forgotten everything! Gonna be an all nighter for me >.<".
    :hugs: If you really learned it it will come back to your easily. An all nighter isn't very good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    Yea, what I've noticed with this paper is that the correct answers can differ with exam papers. Especially properties of ions and that. And the wording for some of the answers are far too specific

I don't have the revision guide. I have just been using CI and markschemes to revise from

Thats why its an A, its Warwick Also cross quoting = copy and paste :awesome:
    As for revising, possibly with great difficulty
    practically learning the revision guide, the general idea of the techniques methods etc. Try and use it to answer an exam paper, realise how useless the revision guide is and learn the answer the examiners actually want.

At the end of the day, Its not how good you are at chemistry it's can you tell the examiner what they want to hear, which tbh sucks.
    TBH I dont think the revision guide is that great for this paper. There are quite a lot of repeat questions...
    i made a list of all the common ones. Like position of equilibrium and buffer solutions are bound to come up. like 4 or 5 mark questions.

The other big topic is solubility. and i really think the rev guide has got it confusing much. I dunno how you all do it, but i've sat and studied the past papers as far back as they go.

ITs not about how good our chemistry is (in my case its not that great) but its about how well you can tell the examiner what they want to hear.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have some good exam and revision techinique for this paper?

ReputationRep:
    is there a definitive list on which bits of toolkit we need to learn! i dont know how ill remember it all!

(Original post by zapstec)
    TBH I dont think the revision guide is that great for this paper. There are quite a lot of repeat questions...
    i made a list of all the common ones. Like position of equilibrium and buffer solutions are bound to come up. like 4 or 5 mark questions.

The other big topic is solubility. and i really think the rev guide has got it confusing much. I dunno how you all do it, but i've sat and studied the past papers as far back as they go.

ITs not about how good our chemistry is (in my case its not that great) but its about how well you can tell the examiner what they want to hear.

And knowing how to apply the answer to the situation (such as a large group 3 ion isn't soluble in water, so when asked for ion properites this is not one of them, but is for a smaler ion etc)

Soubility...is that to do with \Delta H_{sol} \leq O\ or\  \delta^+ and \Delta H_{hyd}?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freddyy_poo)
    is there a definitive list on which bits of toolkit we need to learn! i dont know how ill remember it all!
    I wrote out the toolkit loads of times. i think i used up the back of all my biology past papers from last year doing it. but if you try and remmber http://www.4college.co.uk/a/index2.php the organic reactions, like the first line, the rest of it falls into place.

so like:

alkene <--- alcohol <=> aldehyde --> carboxylic acid <=> ester

Then learn the conditions.

It worked for me.

ReputationRep:
    Ive given up, I dont have time to revise for this exam, I did all my revision on maths and english (last chance), I'll be taking it in the summer.

(Original post by freddyy_poo)
    I'd say stuff that comes up a lot is:
    • Buffer solutions/pH calculations/Kp calcs
    • Colour by design (so why a chromophore will be coloured in terms of electron movement)
    • Whats in a medcine stuff (especially proteins)
    • Sometimes Born Haber/Entropy/Lattice enthalpy/Hydration
    • Reactions (I'll post a list that I got from this site last year for it later)
    • IR and NMR
    • GLC
    • Ion properties
    • Functional group naming
    • Intermolecular forces (usually drawing where molecules form H bonds with water to become hydrated, 4 easy marks there usually)

Thats the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Later on if I get bored I will type out some notes for this list and post it here then we can start asking questions and testing each other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    And knowing how to apply the answer to the situation (such as a large group 3 ion isn't soluble in water, so when asked for ion properites this is not one of them, but is for a smaler ion etc)

Soubility...is that to do with \Delta H_{sol} \leq O\ or\  \delta^+ and \Delta H_{hyd}?
    Its gotta do with entropy change of solution being greater than 0. but the questions havent asked that much, tho i guess that its the general understanding?

the questions on solubility are more along the lines of say the Jan 09 paper: Explain why calcium ions are strongly hydrated in solution and how this affects the entropy change of solution.
    A: High charge density. Many more water molecules are attracted and organized better.

Thats one type, and the other kind is to do with pesticides, so Kow values. Jan 08 - why do the most efficient pesticides have a high Kow value?
    A: There is more pesticide in octan-1-ol suggesting that the damage occurs to the fatty tissue in the insect. Pesticides cna therefore pass from solution to the insect and only small amounts are needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    Ive given up, I dont have time to revise for this exam, I did all my revision on maths and english (last chance), I'll be taking it in the summer.
    I thought this was the last sitting for this exam?

I thought this was the last sitting for this exam?
    OCR are doing old spec resits til June, thank god

Its gotta do with entropy change of solution being greater than 0. but the questions havent asked that much, tho i guess that its the general understanding?

the questions on solubility are more along the lines of say the Jan 09 paper: Explain why calcium ions are strongly hydrated in solution and how this affects the entropy change of solution.
    A: High charge density. Many more water molecules are attracted and organized better.

Thats one type, and the other kind is to do with pesticides, so Kow values. Jan 08 - why do the most efficient pesticides have a high Kow value?
    A: There is more pesticide in octan-1-ol suggesting that the damage occurs to the fatty tissue in the insect. Pesticides cna therefore pass from solution to the insect and only small amounts are needed.
    I thought \Delta S_{tot}&gt;0 was only to say that the reaction was spontaneous

I remember those questions. I have never seen anything on Kow in CI or anything, so I have to look it up elsewhere and I still don;t really get it.

Also on the calcium, wouldn't the addition of molecules and change of state (assuming its Ca(s)--> Hyd Ca (l)) make the system more disordered therefore increase entropy? Please excuse the fast equation thing, I need to get back to work

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.