Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i think 1-aminoethanol is right, although i put 1 hydroxyethylamine

(Original post by Fatal_Microbes)
    Yes, truely annoying.
    Agreed on the N2O BS.
    The vap stuff I learned but it well... vapourised... stupid evaporating at the equator and condensing over the poles and raining grrrr.
    Followed by that random calculation to try and work out the Vap of the H2O.

Anyone for a Facebook campaign?
    I wrote at the bottom underneath the end of question paper, Oh really? see you in June
    Maybe I'll get a pityful marker lol.

What was that stupid alcohol amine thing?
    1-aminoethanol? arghhh
    Haha, yes FB campaign :mob:

That was rather clever. I just slammed the paper down after I've done. There was only me, the other girl taking the exam and the invigilator on the room so it wasnt disturbing anyone.

I have never seen the vaporistion thing in my life. But I just wrote some BS on evaporating and condensing in troposphere then falling as rain.

I got 1-aminoethanol as well.

ReputationRep:
    Still if we all had difficulty on the same stuff then that should be shown in the grade boundaries, I mean they have to let 20-5% of us get an A anyway...

I was the only one at my centre doing it, but there were other modules on so I wasn't alone.

I hope so. But at our stage we still need a certain amount of UMS to meet a set overall boundary for the A level. I might just redo Materials again in June. I got 59 UMS in that last June so I can improve a lot.

There was Tr 10 Maths GCSE exams and the New spec A2 Salters chemistry exam as well. So we has a full room.

ReputationRep:
    I have a quick question, if uni's set a conditional even though we put this exam on ucas, if we resit in june again does it still count as part of the offer. Say i needed an A and i didnt get it today, can i do it in june? cause its still the same year...

I don't see why not coz its in the same year tbh. And its before you start uni as well.

ReputationRep:
    Unless otherwise stated on the ucas offer you have until the 31st of august to get the grade.
    Luckily =D

The one good thing about the paper is those opening 1 mark questions were quite nice, although they weren't nice molecules to work with, and colours of azo dyes came up :grin:

ReputationRep:
    phewww

ReputationRep:
    Damn. I put something like 1-hydroxyl pentanoic acid??

edit: okay, clearly the wrong paper.

ReputationRep:
    Counting hydrogens on aromatic compounds is beyound me tbh, Its way harder tha A-level maths
    RAM 233 sticks in my mind for something?

close Micro =P

:lol: I agree.

Although there were no "What is the Chemical formula of this stupidly large aromatic coumpound?" Question thank ****.

ReputationRep:
    yeah but if you have to find the ram of that stupid coumpound then you may as well write it's formula grrr

Yea I did think that after I posted tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    So much for B in chemistry :lol:

What the hell was that huge question on conditions for the formation of N2O when the equilibrium has same number of gas molecules on each side and very exothermic? And why can it be used on its own as a propellent? That was so random!
    Did you get -7? I simply put that the entropy decreases (products are less disordered) but the value is still small because it's a very small change. I wasn't entirely sure what to put myself.

Also, that N2O is all the way back to unit 1 or 2. I put that the reaction occurs by itself (or something) and being an exothermic reaction, it releases energy. Again, I wasn't really sure what to put to get the exact marks.

I was frustrated Avagado's number came up. I couldn't remember the formula at all! Luckily it was only 1 or 2 marks but I needed 104/120 (ideally 110/120 to get the specific UMS mark in case of fiddling of raw to UMS conversion) so for all I know it's cost me!

Explaining/describing FeBr3 as a catalyst and electrophiles/electrophilic substitution came up though so I was happy.

But what did people get for the conditions of the reaction of phenatimine to phenamamnjkntkjn (whatever it was) to get an amine group from the amide group?

(Original post by Eljamaispa)
    Did you get -7? I simply put that the entropy decreases (products are less disordered) but the value is still small because it's a very small change. I wasn't entirely sure what to put myself.

Also, that N2O is all the way back to unit 1 or 2. I put that the reaction occurs by itself (or something) and being an exothermic reaction, it releases energy. Again, I wasn't really sure what to put to get the exact marks.

I was frustrated Avagado's number came up. I couldn't remember the formula at all! Luckily it was only 1 or 2 marks but I needed 104/120 (ideally 110/120 to get the specific UMS mark in case of fiddling of raw to UMS conversion) so for all I know it's cost me!

Explaining/describing FeBr3 as a catalyst and electrophiles/electrophilic substitution came up though so I was happy.

But what did people get for the conditions of the reaction of phenatimine to phenamamnjkntkjn (whatever it was) to get an amine group from the amide group?
    I got confused with that. I struggled to see any dofference in entropy with the equation, so I took are larger number away from the smaller one and got +7. Then I got confused coz it was equilibrium and when worked out \Delta S_{tot} I got like -8 ish, and I thought it was = 0 in equilibrium :dontknow:

I put that it was exothermic reaction so that it gave out energy, and also some other BS about not needing to be heated too much so large amount used in engine or something stupid like that.

I couldn't remember Avogadros either. I've not touched it since chem for life. I think I ended up multiplying Ksp by it to just make it look like I tried :lol:

I cmplete forgot the conditions but I said excess water, dilute H_2SO_4 under reflux for hydrolisis reaction. It took me bloody ages to realie where the amide bond was, even after I had answered the question!

I didn't like that electrophillic sub thing. I drew a mini diagram at the bottom and boxed it, then said something completely different to what I'd drawn apart from the tiny writing I sqeezed in between the diagram and the lines. I started with the +ve charge on the Fe caused the electron density shift and then formation of FeBr4- or plus or whatever.

Anyone get that suggesting conditions for that strange reaction? I just said rtp in the end coz of the same amount of gas molecules on each side, and high exothermic forward reaction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loz17)
    I couldn't remember Avogadros either. I've not touched it since chem for life. I think I ended up multiplying Ksp by it to just make it look like I tried :lol:
    Lol same. The number of ions was about 7x1073 according to my answer. Oh dear...

I cmplete forgot the conditions but I said excess water, dilute H_2SO_4 under reflux for hydrolisis reaction. It took me bloody ages to realie where the amide bond was, even after I had answered the question!
    Oh bother! I put it was acylation so concentrated aqueous ammonia at room temperatures. *sigh* I was recalling my map of organic reactions in my head but I got confused. Oh well.

I didn't like that electrophillic sub thing. I drew a mini diagram at the bottom and boxed it, then said something completely different to what I'd drawn apart from the tiny writing I sqeezed in between the diagram and the lines. I started with the +ve charge on the Fe caused the electron density shift and then formation of FeBr4- or plus or whatever.
    That sounds roughly right. FeBr4 is formed. It also polarises the bonds so an electrophile forms from Br2 which can attack the molecule in an electrophillic substitution reaction. That's what I got anyway.

The hydrolysis was Mod Conc H_2SO_4 as a catalyst and water. No reflux or dilute :mad2:

(Original post by Eljamaispa)
    Lol same. The number of ions was about 7x1073 according to my answer. Oh dear...

Oh bother! I put it was acylation so concentrated aqueous ammonia at room temperatures. *sigh* I was recalling my map of organic reactions in my head but I got confused. Oh well.

That sounds roughly right. FeBr4 is formed. It also polarises the bonds so an electrophile forms from Br2 which can attack the molecule in an electrophillic substitution reaction. That's what I got anyway.
    Haha yea mine was something like that, although I might have got a lower number.

I see amides as amino acids and treat it the same. I was gonna read amide reactions before I left as well, I wish I did now but oh well. I won't get any marks coz I said dilute acid. Water might though.

For ES, I basically said what you said as well. I said the \delta^+ end was attracted to an area of negatively chared electron density and attacked the proton.

ReputationRep:
    Oh **** I forgot all about the above lmaop
    I couldn't believe it I forgot the conditions for amide hydrol too from materials, lmao
    But I went for Acid/base as it can be hydrolised by an acid/base I believe!!!
    will go look after I've sent this lol
    but of coursereflux was needed. I guess I probs confused it with ester.

what I did with the Ions fk knows I got a small number I think I square rooted the x^-56 at some point or whatever.

I went for either + or -7 I forget which lmao

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.