Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

when do people go to uni open days? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 12 now and have been looking at universities and I was wondering if people go to open days in year 12 or do they go after they have applied in year 13?

ReputationRep:
    Both, generally.

it's probably better to check out the place before you've applied, but it's ok if you leave it til year 13

ReputationRep:
    if i could go back to year 12, i would go to more open days, but i didn't realise when they were!
    so yeah, there's no harm in going and taking a look now, and then taking a better look in year 13 when you have a better idea about what you wanna do

ReputationRep:
    Go to as many as possible in Year 12.

I went to some in Year 10 and 11.

:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    When I went to open days it was kinda too late, my last open days were the 3rd October by which point I was hoping to have sent my application off. I obviously couldnt send it until a few weeks after that as I wanted to have some time to do some research and finally decide. But there were plenty more unis I wouldve liked to have had a look round, I didnt want to apply to a uni ive never actually seen in the flesh, but I did.

If I were to do it again I would be going to have a look at some within the next few months and then maybe some in September. Its expensive though and pretty boring, all I wanted to do was see the city/town and the building itself, I didnt really wanna sit through speeches, sample lectures and tours if im honest.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely go in year 12. Start looking soon-ish for when they are so you can plan it and book them (I missed a few in the summer of year 12 because I left it too late to book a place :facepalm:). It wasn't too bad for me as there aren't a huge number to choose from that do my subject. But if you're doing a subject that it as a lot of universities you will have a tough choice to make without seeing any.

ReputationRep:
    Most open days are in the summer, although a couple will also be in the spring/autumn. TSR has an open day calendar, so you can see the dates of open days for unis that you're considering applying to.

Once you've applied, many universities will invite you to a an open day for offer holders (proving they make you an offer of course) in Year 13. They're usually department specific, and give you the chance to meet staff and other people that might be starting the course.

ReputationRep:
    Go to as many as you can really. I made sure i'd been round all of mine before i chose which one would be my firm. I must say, if i hadn't have come to southampton i wouldn't even have given it a second look just from the prospectus and stuff but as soon as i'd visited it became my top choice. So yes, try to go to as many as you can to get the best feel for them. Also, make sure you find out all the info you need to find out. I found it quite handy to make a questionaire for myself to fill in at each uni. That way i had all the information infront of me which was important to my choice.

ReputationRep:
    I went to a couple in the summer when I was in Year 12. I'm so glad I did as then in September I was at open days what seemed like every weekend, just to fit them in before I sent my application off in October!
    So yes I'd definitely go to some in Year 12.

ReputationRep:
    I started looking in the May of Year 12. Theres normally a whole host of open days around the beginning of the July (Oxbridge have them, UCL and LSE to name a few).

It's not a problem if you miss them though, there are plenty in september/october. Be sure to visit the place before you choose it as an option!

ReputationRep:
    i left it untill october and wasn't really a good idea! go this summer, then you have lots of time to think bout it!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.