Turn on thread page Beta

accommodation after uni watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a gay, 23 Year old student with two jobs, hobbies a life and prospects. It is unfortunate that I do not have a good relationship with any my family members ie i am very unwelcome because of ignorant attitudes. I am increasingly worried about where I am going to live prior to my degree, as there may be no guarantee of a steady job, also I am barely able to live on what I am earning at the moment. How would I be able to find housing in an emergency situation? Should the university be able to help? What if I run out of cash?
    help!
    :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loopy1)
    I am a gay, 23 Year old student with two jobs, hobbies a life and prospects. It is unfortunate that I do not have a good relationship with any my family members ie i am very unwelcome because of ignorant attitudes. I am increasingly worried about where I am going to live prior to my degree, as there may be no guarantee of a steady job, also I am barely able to live on what I am earning at the moment. How would I be able to find housing in an emergency situation? Should the university be able to help? What if I run out of cash?
    help!

I assume you mean post degree, going by the title?

There will be advisors at your university who will be able to help you on who to go to about this. You say you already have two jobs, how about trying to negotiate now about opportunities for working one full time when you finish uni, at least until you find a better job (I assume there's something you're aiming at when you finish your degree?) or looking for something else full time, even if it's just working behind a checkout.

Also, what are you spending your money on currently? Are there any unnecessary (they may not seem unnecessary now, but we all have something we can cut down on and live without) expenses you currently have? What's your current weekly expenditure (without including rent)? Can you try to start saving up now?

Anyway, best advice is definitely to speak to people at your uni who will be able to point you in the direction of help - you won't be the only person who has ever had this sort of problem.

Sorry you're in this situation

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I would get a steady job NOW; then, you'll be prepared enough that you can rent a property after you finish university.

ReputationRep:
    It's good that you are worrying now rather than later when you are actually in the situation you're talking about . It's really good to plan ahead so I would say you spend some time looking for accommodation on classified websites such as Gumtree, Craiglist as well as property websites (there are plenty of them, just Google rooms for rent, flat for rent etc.).

Or you might want to look for a job first and choose a suitable accommodation for the job. Since you have a steady income you will have more choices in terms of accommodation.

Whatever it is, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    help!

Put your name down for local housing associations where you want to live now..and local authority waiting lists.

get on the waiting list...say that you aren't "welcome" at home - play the gay card if you have to...housing associations work on a points scheme so the more desperate you can make your situation sound the better.

But generally - if you're struggling then it could just mean moving somewhere cheaper even if it does mean you have to commute up to an hour...

ReputationRep:
    help!

Also

There is such a thing as "emergency housing" which is provided by the local authority if you are desperate...

warning these places are generally ********* but they are a roof over your head and the council will often help you set housing benefit and then a home if you're in need.

it's mainly a case of you will be able to get somewhere but it may not be very nice....alas its better than sleeping in a car or couch surfing.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.