Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    sometimes I can read really fast, other times like if I've been stuck indoors all day and pick up a book I read really s l o w l y. It's frustrating that I can't pick up something any time and read it to my optimum

ReputationRep:
    I tend to read really fast, missing the main points :p:

ReputationRep:
    For someone who has English literature as part of her degree, incredibly slowly.

Well, not that slowly, but as an example when everyone else read the last Harry Potter in about 6 hours, I took 4 days. Admittedly I was trying to savour it, but I never read books in less than a day like some people.

But then again, I would pick up on so many details that fast readers missed out on.

ReputationRep:
    I read slow (when I do read - two books in my entire life. I didn't even read my GCSE Literature book. :facepalm2:) and I enjoy it.

Like I never read more than 3 chapters of Harry Potter 7 in a day because i'd always keep myself in suspense thinking, oooh, this has just happened, wonder what will happen tomorrow.

:dance:

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on what you read actually.

ReputationRep:
    Got all the books for my 2nd term at uni in the holidays, got through all of them. I know I haven't picked up on the detail as much as I could have if I was to take my time, but I will be going over them and annotating more! I tried to read one book per day, and I have around 14 books for this term.

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite a slow reader all the time. I think you should be quite relaxed and taking your time while reading anyway, even studying, never miss any details either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Starless Eyes)
    I tend to read really fast, missing the main points :p:
    Snap!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm a pretty quick reader, but I guess that's down to watching TV with subtitles all the time and they only stop up a couple of seconds!

ReputationRep:
    Really really fast. I read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows in 8 hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HermieHermitHermon)
    Snap!
    Nice to know im not the only one!

ReputationRep:
    I read very fast.

I comprehend much more slowly.

I probably need to work on that. I'm trying to reduce the speed at which I read, whilst increasing the rate at which I register and comprehend things. It's been better since I've been at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy12691)
    It all depends on what you read actually.
    :yes: Definitely. If I'm enjoying something I'll be much quicker at reading it; if I need to take in a lot of details I'll often end up re-reading some sections a few times, as it's not always easy to take everything in the first time around. Missing a crucial word or two is all too easy to do! :o:

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how interesting the book is (I'd get distracted by aircon if i'm reading a text book) and on how noisy it is around me..

ReputationRep:
    I reckon i read about a page a minute as a rough guess. If it's a book i love, i'll read it in one sitting, i can't help myself haha. I wish i had the willpower to savour books that i like

ReputationRep:
    I've always read very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    I used to read extremely slowly, but after a few good books, which I enjoyed, my reading rate has doubled (:eek2:). It's probably still slow to most people, but I am pleased with the progress.

ReputationRep:
    Quickly when I was a kid, now very slowly. Usually I have to read a sentence over and over.

ReputationRep:
    I read far too quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Very quickly. I always hated it at school and college that I could read something two or three times and others were still not done, not only that but they didn't seem to take any of it in. o_O

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.