Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it wrong to 'like/be proud of' the Jack Ripper legacy? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I like the history/mystery and clandestine nature of the cases.
    I found myself asking the question 'Do you wish it hadn't happened?' and I didn't immediately think 'yes, I do wish that it never happened, it was horrific', I am fascinated by it but not to the point of obsessiveness, and it was horrific what happened to the women of Whitechapel!

I am so intrigued by it :rolleyes:

Does anyone else feel the same?
    Is it wrong to be interested to the point just short of advocation of the crimes just for historial interest? I think it's because it happened so long ago and the crimes were never solved so there was no perpetrator to attribute blame so there is no feelings of hate to direct.

ReputationRep:
    TBH, i'm intrigued in most Serial Killers...to the point i even like them.

That's my only strange quality i swear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Entity)
    TBH, i'm intrigued in most Serial Killers...to the point i even like them.

That's my only strange quality i swear.
    Indeed. Me too!
    When I think of London as a city and a tourist attraction I immediately think of its long history and there are a few prominent thoughts:

Guy Fawkes and the gunpowder plot
    Jack the Ripper saga
    Comstitutional Monarchy/Civil War/Cromwell/Houses of Parliament
    Tower of London
    Buckingham palace
    Great fire of London

Jack the Ripper has become an integral part of London's history and it should be discredited because it was a horrendous crime but it's not...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Most people are interested in stories of murder, crime etc. That's why the Sherlock Holmes books were so popular, people watch documentaries of serial killers, visit the Dungeons as a tourist attraction and why I own a book called 'criminal masterminds' where the best stories are the ones that killed most... it's a quite odd seeming but natural trait. And it's not that we think the murderers were RIGHT.

Normal

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, i guess. I just think sometimes i watch an unhealthy amount of the Investigation Channel and the Crime Channel on SKY.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a bit obsessed with Jack the Ripper, historical crimes and more recent serial killers. Most of what I watch on tv is on the crime channel or investigation channel. I don't know why it fascinates me so much. I guess I just want to understand what goes on in these people's minds. Some of them are so clever, Its so far removed from my life I just want to know what makes someone kill someone else.
    For my GCSE English we had to do a speech on whatever we wanted and I did mine on children who murder. Everyone was like :shock: but I got the highest mark

ReputationRep:
    Liking killers isn't wrong unless you get to the point of trying to rule 34 Peter Sutcliffe, Armin Meiwes, or something.

I think everyone to a certain extent it fascinated with the extremes of how far fellow humans can go. We've always been interested in gory tales of murder, many of the literary greats are peppered with murder and torture.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I live/study in the area...it's certainly a talking point...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)
    I found myself asking the question 'Do you wish it hadn't happened?' and I didn't immediately think 'yes, I do wish that it never happened, it was horrific', I am fascinated by it but not to the point of obsessiveness, and it was horrific what happened to the women of Whitechapel!

Is it wrong to be interested to the point just short of advocation of the crimes just for historial interest? I think it's because it happened so long ago and the crimes were never solved so there was no perpetrator to attribute blame so there is no feelings of hate to direct.
    Read lullaby by chuck palahniuk.
    I love some of the killers in that book...
    ...and it's short:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakko247)

I wouldn't say i was proud of them however i find researching them so fascinating. I'm really into crime and behaviour of criminals even though i'm not doing that as a degree, i watch so many murder programmes its unreal, but i have a fascination about why people act like that probably because i know i could never ever see that as normal or something i could do. It's weird but it just fascinates me, also, its even funnier the fact my great great nan claimed she knew who he was, ( i know all of you will think its stupid and she was deluded ) but when i talk to my family about it, it intrigues me even more how i try and fit what she claimed to have happened and who he was years and years ago with the information all the experts have gathered. Interesting stuffffff methinks

ReputationRep:
    it's was prostitutes who got killed, so who cares? It's human nature to be fascinated by serial killers.

ReputationRep:
    I have been known, in the past, to get sidetracked from something and end up looking up serial killers/their murders on wiki and read the entire thing. It's usually when I see it in reference to something - like the Black Dahlia murder, the Manson/Ramirez/Wayne Gacy murders (guess which band I have a fondness for :rolleyes:) and that little girl Mary Bell from the 1960s. Oh god, I sound like a complete psycho.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I understand where you're coming from, there was a phase I went through where I was completely fascinated by aeroplane accidents and ships sinking, especially this airship called the Hindenburg O.o Obviously I know it's horrible that these things happen, but it's fascinating in a strange twisted way... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well if you go to QMUL you'll end up right near to where it happened. :ahee:

I went on a Jack the Ripper tour once, also :ahee:

(Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Well if you go to QMUL you'll end up right near to where it happened. :ahee:

I went on a Jack the Ripper tour once, also :ahee:
    Was it informative? Were there reconstructions? :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    Was it informative? Were there reconstructions? :ahee:

It was just a man in a dodgy costume taking us around Whitechapel one evening and pointing at a chip shop and some other places going:

"and... THIS is where he stabbed her" :ahee:

and so on..

and our history teacher trying to keep us all together. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It was just a man in a dodgy costume taking us around Whitechapel one evening and pointing at a chip shop and some other places going:

"and... THIS is where he stabbed her"

and so on..

and our history teacher trying to keep us all together.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

"and... THIS is where he stabbed her" :ahee:

and so on..

and our history teacher trying to keep us all together. :rolleyes:
    Oh. I was expecting more. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)

:confused::confused::confused::confused:
    Lol why confused?

ReputationRep:
    Lol why confused?
    I meant, is that the type of costume he was in? :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.