Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Amsterdam, info please watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hi folks
    just wondering if anyone has been to amsterdam and if they could tell me what its like
    wanting to go for a weekend with a few mates so any info on where to go and stuff will be good i've heard of the red light district, is that the main spot for partying etc
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    I am going in feb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redrose_ftw)
    i've heard of the red light district, is that the main spot for partying etc
    you have a lot to learn my friend.

amsterdam is awesome, hit up a "coffee shop" and do some sightseeing and have a good time

p.s. the red light district ANYWHERE is where the brothels are.

ReputationRep:
    I went when I was 17 with a group of friends and it was awesome... Amsterdam was a but dull (but obviously if we were older it would have been a lot more fun!). The Red Light District is funny... brilliant sex shops, crack whores snorting on the pavements and chubby hookers in the windows.

The ferry was by far the best bit though, we found a bar that would serve us and it was one of the funniest nights of my life!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miranda-ae)
    you have a lot to learn my friend.

amsterdam is awesome, hit up a "coffee shop" and do some sightseeing and have a good time

p.s. the red light district ANYWHERE is where the brothels are.
    thats why i posted :P cheers anyway

ReputationRep:
    I've been, and it wasn't really a party place. Not in the sense Ibiza or Magaluf is. If you prance around the Red Light District like a **** you will get throw in a canal; also the police carry guns. The prostitutes are of a high standard- based on viewing through the glass box, not experience. you bunch of ragamuffins. You can get stoned and pissed and magic mushroom'd if that's ya game. Everyone is also very tall, and rides bikes. It is pretty clean, but I hate the Dutch tbh. It's pretty much like England.

ReputationRep:
    hi folks
    just wondering if anyone has been to amsterdam and if they could tell me what its like
    wanting to go for a weekend with a few mates so any info on where to go and stuff will be good i've heard of the red light district, is that the main spot for partying etc
    cheers
    What are you going there for? partying? sightseeing? culture?
    I can give you some info - I studied in Amsterdam for a year and I have been there many times :woo:

ReputationRep:
    mainly partying if you could mail me info that would be good or whatever cheers

ReputationRep:
    to go clubbing u got a hell of a walk from the right light district (only really cafe/ pub type places around there)

to find the clubs we had to find a bum to lead us half way then another bum then a local took us the rest of the way lol

ReputationRep:
    I was there in early December!

The red light districts pretty cool, full of small bars and obviously the coffee shops ...

If you fancy a night out clubbing, there's plenty to get to, just short tram rides away. We went to this place called Rembrantplein or something, that was quite good!

All in all, the red light district is immense and such a giggle haha

ReputationRep:
    i wanna go amsterdam for a weekend and just get high for two whole days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    i wanna go amsterdam for a weekend and just get high for two whole days
    hell yes, you only live once so why not live it :P

ReputationRep:
    I went with some college friends for mate's 18th in September..

Stayed at the white tulip Hostel, great place, food expensive though...
    Right on the edge of the redlight district so good place to start if you want to experience the bars/coffeeshop/"red lights"..

Overall it was a good place but the further you get from the main red lights the nicer/cheaper everything seems to get..
    Also, the absinthe is a laugh at first but i can't remember a whole day of my 3 day holiuday there...

Things to look out for..
    There will be people trying to seel you coke about 5 times an hour...
    You will almost get hit by a bicycle at least 10 times...
    Someone will always end up in a canal whilst drunk...
    Embaressing photos/videos of you drunk/high will be put on facebook forever...

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha sounds like you had a good time especially with someone falling in canal, i really want to do this now :P
    by the way how much did it cost you folks who went? cheers

ReputationRep:
    Be careful of them beggars. it's against the law to beg, but its ok to offer "help" for money. So you'll get buged by these homeless guys playing guitars or helping to find hotels.

be careful of them hoodies. When I was there with a friend, this hoody ran towards us from the opposite side of the street. Came 2 meters in-front of us, stopped, then walked back towards where he came from. I think he taught we were from some gang.

Stay sharp in the redlight, it's the safest place on Earth. But some girls will be pushy, some places are run by tough men. When a girl invits you into their "office", as if they want a talk- they don't. It's just money and they'll get well pissed. I was walking home STONED, This Spanish girl spoke to me, we did small chat. it was raining and she said, come in. I thought she just wanted to carry on talking about food prices. When I told her, I'm not interested in sex. She gave me a torrent of Spanish abuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scout1234)
    I went when I was 17 with a group of friends and it was awesome... Amsterdam was a but dull (but obviously if we were older it would have been a lot more fun!). The Red Light District is funny... brilliant sex shops, crack whores snorting on the pavements and chubby hookers in the windows.

The ferry was by far the best bit though, we found a bar that would serve us and it was one of the funniest nights of my life!
    The drinking age excluding spirits is 16.

Bets time is 18+ though as thats the age for "coffee shops", not that they seem to check much. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    well we'll all be 18 so it should be okay for evreything then

ReputationRep:
    hahahaha sounds like you had a good time especially with someone falling in canal, i really want to do this now :P
    by the way how much did it cost you folks who went? cheers
    Think it was something like £70 for 3 nights at the hostel(15 thurs/25 fri/30 sat) and about £70 for cheapo plane there(think we used easyjet from Exeter)

When you're there the food/drink is VERY expensive, the best thing to do is to find a supermarket there first day and get a load of cheap stuff from there, we only found it on the last day and it was literally 100m from our hostel, lol.

£50 is the price for the "Amsterdam experience", it's about 20 minutes and "anything goes"...

I went and had a 5 minute chat with one of the women for a laugh whilst quite drunk but that's as much as i did with them... some of my mates however...:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MHorman)
    Think it was something like £70 for 3 nights at the hostel(15 thurs/25 fri/30 sat) and about £70 for cheapo plane there(think we used easyjet from Exeter)

When you're there the food/drink is VERY expensive, the best thing to do is to find a supermarket there first day and get a load of cheap stuff from there, we only found it on the last day and it was literally 100m from our hostel, lol.

£50 is the price for the "Amsterdam experience", it's about 20 minutes and "anything goes"...

I went and had a 5 minute chat with one of the women for a laugh whilst quite drunk but that's as much as i did with them... some of my mates however...:eek3:
    haha
    cheers for prices, what was the hostel called and was it any good?

ReputationRep:
    haha
    cheers for prices, what was the hostel called and was it any good?
    White tulip and yea it was good, reasonably cheap, plenty of security.(guarded door by entrance, looks to each room, big lockers with another key in locked room.)

Only thing i'd say is don't eat/drink there because it was expensive.

And it's right in the red light district which is good forpubs/coffe shops
    And if you go out the back door of the pub the building next door is 4 red doorways...if you know what i mean...

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.