Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    We put in a lot of energy growing so we don't have much left over to use on other activities.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, there is a scientific justification for this. Something to do with the development of the brain and the moving goalposts when it comes to sleep. Essentially teenagers are still children in terms of the sleep they need to function, yet adults in terms of the sort of sleep they get.

ReputationRep:
    The answer is chemical.
    When you are a teen your hormone/chemical levels are constantly F***** up.

In particular, there exists a chemical balance in the body between chemicals called "Melatonin" and "Serotonin".
    Melatonin makes one feel sleepy and inactive (and high levels for a long time causes clinical depression)
    While seratonin makes you feel awake and alert and happy - this is why people with depression take seratonin tablets.
    Melatonin is much more prevalent in teens and is less easily converted into seratonin.

However, us teens exaggerate this problem because seratonin is converted to melatonin at night (for obvious reasons stated previously - to make you tired and make you more able to reach deep REM sleep)

However, we stay up far too late and well into the morning causing MASSIVE imbalances in these chemicals totally screwing our circadian rhythm and staying up far too long causes our Seratonin levels to plummet - to try to get us to sleep- and stay low until normal sleep patterns are established.

So basically HAVE A NORMAL BEDTIME RHYTHM and you will be fine/more active. However, by the very nature of being a teenager - this is impossible!!!! :P So i guess we just have to wait out this inactivity hahah!

ReputationRep:
    so are adults but they can't get away with it.

ReputationRep:
    I would make a serious contribution to this topic, but TBH I CBA =p

ReputationRep:
    Lack of sleep
    No motivation
    Kids don't care about school anymore

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you mean by lazy, lazy as in education wise or lazy as I just generally. I'm sure everyone misses their lazy days where they hadn't the need to care about anything else. Sort of miss lazying in bed.

ReputationRep:
    because we can

ReputationRep:
    Because people never have boundaries growing up. Kids need to know NO means NO with no exceptions sometimes.

Or they'll grow up how the current set are... expect the rewards but aren't willing to put in the graft. Work Hard/Play Hard... they just forgot you have to have the first before you can have the second...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghanglish)
    Too lazy to spell 'video' properly or am I just too old to know what 'vidja' is?
    it's spelt fernetickly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    We put in a lot of energy growing so we don't have much left over to use on other activities.
    hahaha.... true!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19 and still lazy. Sometimes I just wish I had more energy but I feel tired all the time. I don't do THAT much uni work (nowhere near the amount they say you're meant to do) but the amount I actually do leaves me absolutely shattered!

Hopefully there's a certain age where you just get some magic (legal!) energy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemma :)!)
    I'm 19 and still lazy. Sometimes I just wish I had more energy but I feel tired all the time. I don't do THAT much uni work (nowhere near the amount they say you're meant to do) but the amount I actually do leaves me absolutely shattered!

Hopefully there's a certain age where you just get some magic (legal!) energy!
    Dream on!

ReputationRep:
    It's just something they do, a phase they go through.
    I find though that when you get to a certain age it stops and you find it much easier to get up earlier, and less able to stay in bed until midday or later.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Lib, and I think it might be to do with biorhythms making us want to stay up late, but school doesn't suit this cycle, and the fact that we are still developing physically and mentally.

ReputationRep:
    i must have the hormones of a teen then cause im lazy as **** lol

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.